This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old January 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

I'm sorry if I'm cluttering this forum too much, but FINALLY I've got a chance to let my creativity go to the limit... and beyond.

This is an opportunity the likes of which I have never seen before, and I like it very much.
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrategiaInUltima said:
Here, Psychic races have an advantage; they can read the mind of an alien and determine what it is it's saying.
Not to get bogged down in semantics, but if you're telepathic, but don't understand Russian, and I'm thinking in Russian, how do you know what I'm thinking?

As for communications delay, I remember playing a game which incorporated this, and to be honest it was a royal pain. One thing I always seem to be saying is that fun is more important than realism. Sure, communications lag is realistic, but what does it add to the game?

I'm not going through & replying to the rest of your suggestions, because I agree with 98% of them. As for your question about the 'promotions' they're based on the number of Posts you have on the forum. 50, 200, 500, 1000, etc...

Oh, & since no one else seems to have said it, welcome to the forum!
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

And have some cheese.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

NARF'S BACK!!!!!
spamspamspamspamspamspamspamspam
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

MODERATOR MODE

PLEASE KEEP ON TOPIC IN THIS THREAD.

(Tying it up with off topic Posts detracts from the purpose of the thread.)

Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Sergeant

Location: Milwaukie-Home of the Norwegian World Domination Party
Tnarg is on a distinguished road

Is there a link or post that details a majority of what is already known to be in SEV for sure, and maybe some ideas that are being toyed with?
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

No not at this time. There was a chat Last month with Aaron on #spaceempires and the log is over at www.spaceempires.net where Aaron mentioned some things.

I don't know what is in the game, but if SEIV is an indication, then I will bet we will see a lot of the suggestions listed here, and on the yahoo Groups in SE V. The two biggies are ground combat and hero's.

Aaron said that ground combat is something that will most likely be the same as in SEIV, but who knows. You'll have to read the chat. The same thing for Hero's. Albeit, I think my suggestion for Hero's was the best.

Any ways, there is no list as to what will or will not be in SE V that I am aware of. And I would not bother Aaron with one just yet. I am sure as the game gets close to Demo, a list will be published.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

AgentZero, as for your statement about Russian, it's pretty simple (I think):

You detect what the other person is thinking. Even if you're only thinking in abstract text, you will automatically trigger memory "files" with related subjects, which incorporate images. You can extrapolate what the other person is saying through analysis of these images.

Also, Psychic races should be able to generate more intel, as they can scan the minds of their opponents, and they must be able to contact all other empires they don't know but someone else does when you're talking to that person.

You scan his mind for communications channels, and you input them into your diplomatic computer (or whatever the hell you use, slaves, etc.) so you can contact them.

Also, I've had some ideas:

Planetary Cloaking Facilities.
These can be various types of facilitites that hide, for instance, cargo, facilities, orbital objects, entire moons, or even the fact that the planet is colonized.
This could be an easy way to deal with an enemy fleet:
Take one of your most important planets (your homeworld for example) and construct massive space defenses - sats, minefields, starbases, ships, fighters etc - and then cloak them. The enemy might be duped into thinking your homeworld is defenseless. When his fleet attacks, he'll have a surprise waiting for him...
Also, you should be able to activate/deactivate planetary cloaks during combat - hide defenses or weapons platforms, for instance.

Power Generation.
Sort of like supplies for planets. Power can be generated by a Power Plant or something (or you can upgrade the standard power plant always available, and build secondary reactors) that generates a certain amount of Power. Simple facilities, like miners, farms, etc. always work, but things like atmospheric reprocessing plants, planetary shielding, ship/fleet trainers, etc. require power to operate. This makes regulation of these things important; now you can simply colonize a tiny moon in a system and build planetary and systemwide stellar manipulation shielding facilities, but do you have any idea how much power these things consume? How is a tiny moon capable of summoning that much energy?
You might say that tiny moons won't be able to change their atmosphere, because they've only got one slot for facilities and you need power for the reprocessor, but this need not be an issue; each planet has its own small power source that is not a facility so it doesn't take up room. The amount of power generated is dependent on planet size, population present, and upgrade level. You can build additional Reactors (which take up cargo space, similar to weapons platforms) or even whole new Power Plants (which are facilities). You should also be able to construct things like Solar/Nuclear/Fusion/Antimatter/whatever power sats/bases/ships and power relay sats/bases/ships. Non-planetary power sources (think solar satellites, nuclear power plant space stations) also generate power (dependent on things like stars in a system, amount of Radioactives in your storages (which are consumed by nuclear power plants unless you can supply them with uranium or plutonium), amount of Antimatter in your storages, etc.) and transmit it down to the planet. Power relays transmit power between power sources and planets, between planets, or between systems. You don't need a relay for orbital generators.

Comms ranges. You can only directly control a ship within such-and-such range of a planet, such-and-such range if it has a transmitter of level such-and-such, and you can drop relay probes (which can't be attacked, produced or carried, but which simply cost a certain amount of resources) in deep space (like Enterprise did). If a ship gets out of this range, it will try to follow its orders, then return to within your comms range via the shortes/safest route. If you want your ships to perform deep-space exploration missions outside comms range, you need to issue them orders first (i.e. explore for at least 10 turns/5 systems/2 empires/10 habitable planets/etc. or a combination of these) and they will carry out these orders. Also, explorations/discoveries made outside of comms range will not be visible to you after the ship reenters comms range.
This need not necessarily apply to inter-Empire communications, but there should be a toggle in the Setup screen to choose whether you want it to or not.

Thnx AgentZero
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tnarg said:
Is there a link or post that details a majority of what is already known to be in SEV for sure, and maybe some ideas that are being toyed with?
Yes, Captain Kwok has a couple of lists on his site, if you can find it. I can't remember the URL right now.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

ALL the suggestions I have seen here and elsewhere are, to some degree or another, cool sounding. BUT, above ALL else I would like to see all these options for a game be 'settings' that you can choose to be "on" or "off" when you set up the game. That way, the "stock" SE5 could approach many of the aspects of mods - making it much more customizable and more appealing to people who don't use mods (for whatever reason).

For example, SE4 currently has settings for "universe size" - why not simply expand that to an entire array of settings. Put them all into a separate "Advance Start-Up options" screen that the average joe won't ever go to, but that if someone wanted to set up a game with all sorts of options they could...

Thanks,

Alarik