.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unplayably slow on Vista?

Run a Microsoft OS before SP1??

I wouldn't drive without a seatbelt, either.
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

lol, I just upgraded to XP within the last year, and I will fight tooth and nail to keep Vista out of the courthouse where I work for at least the next year, and hopefully two if possible.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road

Why would anyone downgrade to Vista?
I'm running Win2kPro at home and XPPro on my laptop and at work. I still prefer 2k. All the machines that we downgraded to Vista for testing purposes had to be reinstalled with XP because our software doesn't work properly.

My advice: Reinstall an older version of Windows, dual boot, if you don't want to loose Vista completely (in case of SPs in a couple of years).

Old February 24th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
Anyway for example I had the *exact same* framerate with Dom2 on an old Athlon500/GEforce4 than when I upgraded to Ahtlon2400/Radeon9600. Still no better perf when I changed the card for a Nvidia 5600GT...

this has not to be a entirely problem of microsoft, ATI tents to write bad OGL drivers, for an example, i'm now having better framerates with a Geforce 3 (on Linux) than i had with a Radeon 9600 XT (on Windows). And this is not just cause linux is better *scnr*
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Private

Rasit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Andrew_Gross said:
I upgraded my home computer to Vista a couple of days ago. So far, every program I had installed has worked flawlessly, with the exception of Dom III. It is so painfully slow, both full screen and windowed, that I am probably going to have to drop out of the PBeM game I'm in unless there's a fix for this.

Anyone have any hints for getting Dom III to run acceptably under Vista, or do I just need to hope a patch fixes it eventually?
Strange, it works perfectly on my vista development machine. I know some issues can be resolved if you disable aero.
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Private

haileris is on a distinguished road

There was a previous post on Vista issues. ATI OpenGL drivers have improved the experience no end so upgrade your drivers if you are using ATI graphics. I was under the impression that Nvidia had no problems in this area having included OpenGL support in their beta driver releases.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Private

DanielM is on a distinguished road

It has nothing to do with dom3 or drivers. A few months ago it was much talked about how Microsoft is not directly supporting OpenGL in Vista but instead passing it through Microsoft's own DirectX-interfaces. I don't understand the details, however, it means adding an extra layer of abstraction, so everything which uses OpenGL (that is pretty much every game which doesn't run exclusively on Windows) obviosly runs slower.

If this is true, it means that better drivers won't cut it but OpenGL will be always worse than DirectX - not because of some technical reason, but because Microsoft wants it this way.

Microsoft's motivation for doing this is to force game developers to use DirectX instead of OpenGL and thus killing any platform-independent development. They know from experience that the third-party developers and not Microsoft will be blamed.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Private

Rasit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DanielM said:
It has nothing to do with dom3 or drivers. A few months ago it was much talked about how Microsoft is not directly supporting OpenGL in Vista but instead passing it through Microsoft's own DirectX-interfaces. I don't understand the details, however, it means adding an extra layer of abstraction, so everything which uses OpenGL (that is pretty much every game which doesn't run exclusively on Windows) obviosly runs slower.

If this is true, it means that better drivers won't cut it but OpenGL will be always worse than DirectX - not because of some technical reason, but because Microsoft wants it this way.

Microsoft's motivation for doing this is to force game developers to use DirectX instead of OpenGL and thus killing any platform-independent development. They know from experience that the third-party developers and not Microsoft will be blamed.
Oh, really?
Quote:

Will My Applications Run Fast?

Performance-wise, developers can expect a decrease of around 10-15% on Windows as compared to Windows XP. Applications that use problematic cases (for example, excessive flushing, or rendering to the frontbuffer, as explained later) can see a larger performance degradation. However, expect this gap to become smaller over time while the graphics hardware vendors work on further optimizing their Windows Vista WDDM drivers.

Even DirectX will lose some performance due to Vista taking more CPU time just to run in the background.

It is up to the hardware drivers to implement the OpenGL specs and the driver support for Vista is still abysmal. That is the true reason why you lose some performance compared to DirectX.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
reverend said:
Why would anyone downgrade to Vista?
I'm running Win2kPro at home and XPPro on my laptop and at work. I still prefer 2k. All the machines that we downgraded to Vista for testing purposes had to be reinstalled with XP because our software doesn't work properly.

My advice: Reinstall an older version of Windows, dual boot, if you don't want to loose Vista completely (in case of SPs in a couple of years).
Vista is overall a bad idea for any current and/or old games... people should check the benchmark differences verses WinXP and Win2K before upgrading.
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

This is mildly off topic, but can anyone tell me why I (basic internet, a few games, basic Excel and Word user) would have any desire to shift to Vista?