.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Sergeant

Vynd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soul Gate Ermor tips?

In my experience, Ashen Ermor's dominion will kill a province's population, but has little or no effect on the Independent troops that are stationed there. In one game as AE, I had some sea provinces next to my capital that I left alone for a good long time. Mostly because I didn't feel like fighting a big army of Tritons when I had easier and more valueable targets to hit, but I also started to wonder if the army would die off when my dominion got high enough.

It never happened. By turn 40 or so my dominion was at 9 or 10 and the entire population of the province was dead, but the army stationed there appeared to me to be just as big as ever. It makes some sense, really, from a game balance perspective. If Ermor's killing dominion effect worked on troops, then how could anyone ever fight a war against Ermor? Any time you sent troops into Ermor's territory they'd start dropping dead.

I would assume that Soul Gate's dominion works the same as AE's in this respect.

[ June 12, 2004, 17:00: Message edited by: Vynd ]
Old June 12th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I haven't played Ermor for a few months now, but I seem to remember that the indies will start to starve once you kill off the population, and therefore get diseased as they run out of supplies. But maybe I'm just remebering wrong (as in, remebering cases where I already cast BoT or a province with a disease-causing site).
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Vynd:
If Ermor's killing dominion effect worked on troops, then how could anyone ever fight a war against Ermor? Any time you sent troops into Ermor's territory they'd start dropping dead.
Well, the theory is that while Ermor's killer dominion doesn't work on TROOPS, it *DOES* destroy all of the population, and thus, the supplies: So troops *DO* start dropping dead of starvation, if left there long enough.

However, it does not appear that indies ever starve, no matter what the conditions are, something that is readily apparent on Indy-9.
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:18 PM

Sergeant

LintMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:

quote:
4 - I notice that my home province has some gold income despite having no population in the province. And the Ermorian castle is 0-admin,so there shouldn't be any income from surrounding provinces. On my most recent turn the 70 income dropped to 66, and I'm puzzled by that also.
I don't think that's your provincial income, but your entire nation's income. You may have misread the display. It is still possible for Ermor have to income even under 0 population, though: It's possible that you received a lucky gold mine that will now yield income: Always crank taxes on these puppies up to 200, so they'll yield double the income. The undead always pay their bills in full.

Quote:
I built another castle to see if they all do this, but it does not have any income. I assume this is some sort of home-province bonus?
This is either you misreading the upper display, or receiving free gold sites in your home province as a result of luck scale.

I definitely wasn't misreading the display. I'm aware of both income values and know the difference.

I experimented further and found:
- Adjusting the tax rate to 200 doubled the province income to 135.
- I sped to get to Acashic Record, but no extra, secret gold sites showed up in my home province when I searched with it.

Then I started a new game, same map (Cradle), but not choosing the "rich" option, and discovered:
- On the non-rich map setting, SG Ermor got 10 death gem income from the home province, and 200 starting gold.
- On the "rich" map setting, SG Ermor got 15 Death gems starting income from the home province, 600 starting gold, and apparently an steady non-pop-related gold income in the home province.
- I then checked Pangaea on the same map, rich setting, and it did not get extra gem income. (I didn't check the starting gold or try to figure out if there was extra non-pop gold income).

Very interesting - I had no idea that the "rich" game option would affect things like that - I assumed it only doubled the standard province gold/resources income and wouldn't touch things like starting gem income or starting gold amount.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the great tips and info!
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

Maybe Ermor gets the same bonus to gem sites that other nations do to income. After all, Ermor's economy is all gems, so giving them some bonus to gem income in rich world is only fair.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:47 PM

Major General

If you were playing a rich world, you may have received a random gold mine as a lucky random event: Ermor tends to have luck, and you probably did also. That would explain the province income, as Ermor's home province does not naturally receive income.

You also should never bother searching your home province in a standard game: You will never find anything. Additional sites gained in your home province are created by random events, and do not previously exist to be searched for.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
If you were playing a rich world, you may have received a random gold mine as a lucky random event: Ermor tends to have luck, and you probably did also. That would explain the province income, as Ermor's home province does not naturally receive income.
Actually, in that test game, the scales were +3 order, -3 luck, with the game set to rare events. For sure there was no gold/silver mine in the province.

I created another new game to test things further, and there was no bonus income this time, until some lucky event "permanently increased gold revenue by 50". It wasn't a gold mine though - maybe a "trade guild" or something, and no site icon or any other indicator appeared. (When you get a gold mine event, a gold mine site icon shows up). Perhaps something like this even had happened in my original game and I just missed the message. (Given the misfortune-3 scale and rare events setting this seems unlikely, but is still the best explanation).
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheap:
Maybe Ermor gets the same bonus to gem sites that other nations do to income. After all, Ermor's economy is all gems, so giving them some bonus to gem income in rich world is only fair.
I was thinking the same thing, but only the home province gets the bonus gems. Probably it would be way too powerful if Ermor got bonus gems everywhere.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:12 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by LintMan:
It wasn't a gold mine though - maybe a "trade guild" or something, and no site icon or any other indicator appeared. (When you get a gold mine event, a gold mine site icon shows up). Perhaps something like this even had happened in my original game and I just missed the message.
That could be the cause of the income increase also. I've never really noticed the effect of this event, though, as I've basically never had it happen with my Ermor, perhaps because the typical Ermorian scales prevent such a thing from occurring even in luck 2 or 3, but I suppose this effect could still work even after the province is depopulated.