winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM

Private

bhutnath is on a distinguished road
Default why buy armor?

I have played only a handful of games so far. Most games have been with lots of points (6k-30k) on large maps. The last few have been played with vis 80.

It seems to me that in a meeting engagement the tank is absolutely useless. You have barely 40 hexes or 2km to travel, turcks or apc will get your infatry there in 3 turns. Even if you fail to make it that far another 4-5 turns will get you there on foot with ease. Once close to the victory hexes, the infantry is best at holding ground.

lets take a look at the costs. A t90 is about 500 give an take 50 points. While an elite infantry company with gustav antitank (Indian force) comes for 270 points. In my experience, one tank cannot take ground from an infantry company even in open ground given the duration of these games. So for every tank the enemy can add atleast one company of basic infantry can be included. So even when tanks are accompanied by inf platoons one has enough infantry to fight em all.

Armor generaly dies with one successful shot.A couple of plattons of atgm troops over the course of the game will take their toll on enemy armor. While even a lowly infantry platoon takes a long time to find suppress and kill.

A single armored vehicle loss can cost one from 30-500 points. Loose half a company of expensive tanks in the course of the game and your 3k points down! compare this to loosing a whole battalion of inf (Indian) it cost only 270 x 4 = 1000 points.

I just cant seem to see any sense in buying armor. So folks help me out here, what is it about armored units that I am overlooking?