.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Plans

Stardock (Totalgaming.net) would be more likely, if only because Brad Wardell is a fan of Dominions (I found the game via one of his posts on the GalCivII forum).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lch said:
Okay, so Steam is something where I have to register by telling lots of private information about myself and install some spyware-esque program which requires that I have an internet connection to be able to get and play games? Sounds great, sign me on!
Speaking of Stardock...
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:57 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

My understanding is that Stardock is quite benevolent. People keep on saying things like that on the GalCivII forums and Brad gets a bit upset. I guess there's some basic level of annoyingness required for that kind of program.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
which requires that I have an internet connection to be able to get and play games?
Not completely true. You can start steam in offline mode, and still play plenty of games.
Its also nice to be able to get a new computer and just load up steam to play your own games again - or play them at someone elses house.
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:52 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I haven't found stardock annoying at all. It isn't like you have to leave it on - you just start it up every now and then to check for patches and browse through some other stuff.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Steam sucks.

But to address the actual original question it is extremely doubtful it will be offered as a download (there's a reason why we went all out with the manual, after all), but if it ever was offered as a download it wouldn't be with another company, but direct from us.

And if your friends are balking at the $54 cost there are a couple things to bring up:

1. You can play the game daily for years and still discover things. Ask anyone who's been playing since release day one. Therefore the cost to fun ratio is extremely high.

2. $54 gets you what, about a tank and a half of gas? A week's worth of groceries for one person? Five days of lunch? What's going to last longer, everything I just listed or the game?

3. You can spend $60 on a console game that has six hours of gameplay.

It should also be noted that periodically we offer sales, and if your friends are by any chance university students or in the military, we offer a discount program for students and military personnel. Details can be found on the store site, look for the "Savings for Scholars and Soldiers" link on the bottom left.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Exactly, standard console game costs $59.99 + tax. And if you live in Europe there is a huge discount made by US goverment, that is low value of dollar

And there were many topics stating that selling small amount of copies is much more expensive [per copy] than tens of thousands.

I guess many people tried here pirated version, especially in the beginning, when it was really hard to get it. But that game is sure worth buying and paying full price. Try to name 10 games with playability over 2 weeks

LA Agartha guide
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:00 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Panzer General & sequels, Civ/Civ2/AC, MoM, Moo I & II, XCom, Thief I & II, Nethack, Moria & clones, Starcraft, and ... and ... and ... oh, brain freeze ... and ... oh, Warlords or TG16 Military Madness or Sega Master of Monsters. or something like that.

But I only play Dom3 these days .
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Xcom Apocalypse, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1+2, Warlords DLR, Jagged Alliance 2, Gladius, System Shock 2, Warcraft 3, Total War series, Startopia, Galactic Civilisations 2, Devil May Cry 3, Dynasty Warriors series, Diablo II etc etc ETC.

There are thousands of excellent games out there.

I personally think Dom3 is expensive in comparison with other games, because I never buy games at full price, I buy them when their price drops. This didn't happen with Dom3 and clearly wasn't going to. I have my money's worth, but I would tell anyone planning on buying dom3 to try the demo first. I wouldn't feel the need to warn people when it comes to cheaper games.
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
S.R. Krol said:
Steam sucks.

But to address the actual original question it is extremely doubtful it will be offered as a download (there's a reason why we went all out with the manual, after all), but if it ever was offered as a download it wouldn't be with another company, but direct from us.

And if your friends are balking at the $54 cost there are a couple things to bring up:

1. You can play the game daily for years and still discover things. Ask anyone who's been playing since release day one. Therefore the cost to fun ratio is extremely high.

2. $54 gets you what, about a tank and a half of gas? A week's worth of groceries for one person? Five days of lunch? What's going to last longer, everything I just listed or the game?

3. You can spend $60 on a console game that has six hours of gameplay.

It should also be noted that periodically we offer sales, and if your friends are by any chance university students or in the military, we offer a discount program for students and military personnel. Details can be found on the store site, look for the "Savings for Scholars and Soldiers" link on the bottom left.

I've linked em all to the demo.. Again they cant get past the price. And really i find the demo pretty underwhelming it gives you basic idea about the game play but doesnt let a person truely appreciate the variety of nations and strategy not to mention mods .And all thats very important considering the lack luster graphics .

People have limited funds for entertainment products . 60 dollars for an indy game is a pretty big investment ..And the people im talking to arent big console gamers and most assuredly not the kind that drop 60dollars for a shooter that'll last em one day.. Not to mention PC games are usually cheaper than console ones so not even a good comparison.

So just curious if there are any plans about a price cut.