.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the story with those dominion ads??

It's not funny. It's not effective. It's just plain stupid.

As Turn Based Strategy players in general, and Dominions 3 players in particular, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we prefer substance over graphics.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

According to the Shrapnel Blog, it was (is?) very effective, at least in terms of click-through rates. Sorry, lost the link to Scott's blog post. In marketing, the ends justify the means, and besides, no bog beasts were harmed in the making of the ads.

It's funny to me because it's completely blatant. There is no attempt at all to even try linking the sexual exploitation to the game.

Anything that contributes to additional sales and the success of Illwinter and Shrapnel is good IMO. I have sufficient faith in the developers to believe that this marketing campaign is going to have no influence on the game itself.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wokeye is on a distinguished road

I think they are quite ironic?, playful and bloody funny. The bog beast versions are even better.

Yes they are stupid, dont at all relate to Dom3, and are potentially offensive, but the fact that we have a 7 page post plus this post about them means they get attention and hold attention. Bingo!
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
According to the Shrapnel Blog, it was (is?) very effective, at least in terms of click-through rates. Sorry, lost the link to Scott's blog post.
Here it is.
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
I have sufficient faith in the developers to believe that this marketing campaign is going to have no influence on the game itself.
A few changes that are going to happen during the next patches so the game becomes more appealing to the target audience: Seduction and Corruption will be played out in some kinda dating sim fashion. Blood hunting will be played out in some other kind of mini-game as well (no details) (especially not about how the Sanguine Dowsing Rod is going to be involved). Users can pay for optional extra content which upgrades their boring plain units with cool stuff to impress their unsuspecting MP enemies, like steam-powered chainsaws, nail guns and dragon-based airstrikes. The game will be shipped with a Dorito XL bag and a cool Bud light.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
S.R. Krol said:
Quote:
vfb said:
According to the Shrapnel Blog, it was (is?) very effective, at least in terms of click-through rates. Sorry, lost the link to Scott's blog post.
Here it is.
I *did* mention that I've been clicking on the ads 25 times whenever I saw them, and I usually never click on them at all. When I was still under the impression that it was supposed to be some kinda april's fools joke, that is.

P.S.: Plus, those new ads are the only thing that I see. This sweet Firefox extension named AdBlock+ filters out all the other stuff by default, and that extension is extremely popular, if not mandatory. So other people might just not see any of the other ads, too, and thus no clickey.

P.P.S.: Oh and regarding this piece from the blog: "Reaction to the ads have been extremely positive [...] there’s a nice forum thread currently at five pages [...] You even have one community member who changed his avatar to the ad for a while and is now using it as his sig, currently slightly modified." - the word you are looking for is "sarcasm".
Emergency comic relief
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renojustin said:
It's not funny. It's not effective. It's just plain stupid.

As Turn Based Strategy players in general, and Dominions 3 players in particular, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we prefer substance over graphics.
Well funny is a matter of opinion in most countries luckily.

I tend not to take things too seriously and find it amusing to see a beautiful scantily clad woman craving an extremely complex turn based computer strategy game that I cannot even convince some of my geekier friends to attempt to learn. And I admit that I am probably at my geekiest when I spend time combing through the forums trying to figure out the best way to kit out Rhuax, Elemental King of Fire to help aid the Jomonese nation fend off the evil Lord Fiddlesticks of Pythium.

But hey, if you want to be all serious and let this offend your sensibilities because we are braniac strategy gamers only interested in intellectual content then cheers! You are definitely in the target demographic.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I've always taken the as a joke, and find them quite funny.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Although the model in the first ad has nice legs, I'd also like to see pictures of scantly clad men, pretty-boy underwear model types. Once you have naked boys, it won't be sexist anymore.

Hope Scott's blog post alerts him of new comments.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Gee, I enjoyed it as a parody of advertising.