Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
NAPs - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 29th, 2010, 12:59 AM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NAPs

The trickiest, simplest way to always honor every NAP you enter: Don't ever enter an NAP.

A strategy for those who are obsessed with keeping their word, yet can't stand diplomatic schedule management.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Not all NAPs need to be 'end with N turns warning' either. I often prefer sunset provision NAPs, since their expiration doesn't necessarily mean an imminent attack, and I don't have to announce my intentions or lack thereof.

(ie, a NAP that automatically expires at the start of turn K).

This can let you 'guarantee' peace with one nation for a set period of time, which is often sufficient.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
However, I played my first turn of my first MP game with the idea of I would play the Paladin with Lawful Good (for you RPG Players), sounds like you may have adopted that also.
The funny thing is, based on the D+D alignment metric, you could argue everything from LG to *neutral evil* would honor all agreements they entered into given the existence of a meta-game. Self-interest is enough to motivate people to keep their commitments if they know with near-certainty they will likely be dealing with the same players again.

(Suppose confidence that your treaty partner will honor an agreement is both beneficial to you and conditional on your honoring past agreements with him. Thus breaking an agreement causes an egregious harm to your future agreements, and the benefits to doing so would have to be absolutely enormous to be justified. Given the number of future games you might play with a given person is unbounded, I'm not sure there's any in-game benefit large enough that would justify failing to follow through on your treaty agreements).

Basically, its repeated prisoner's dilemma, and even game theory tells us that the best strategy in that circumstance is to trust everyone the first time, and respond tit-for-tat to their actions.

Now, if someone wanted to play a chaotic alignment, it would be rather entertaining to watch, but would likely blow up in their face.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, your right....

I had never really thought of it like that. You make an excellent point.