.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:58 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod v1.92

Without clams, pearls are too valuable to use on summons. If by some freak accident, you end up with more pearls than you need for forging, they are pretty nice with a good bless though. Though Pythium/Marignon don't tend to have good blesses.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

Mightypeon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Squirrel wasn't referring to the awe on Ris (Tir na n'Og), which was indeed OP. Eriu didn't have that...
Yes, we did! It was just more expensive to do the one thug = expansion party strategy than it was for TNN since Tuatha cost more than Ri. The funny thing is in my one game with them I ended up with a horrible start position surrounded by undead, lizardmen and (as an "easy" province) knights. And got attacked early by apostacizing, smiting Ermor. So sometimes even OP things don't work out as planned.

I've heard good things about Sea Kings as thugs but since I usually play thug nations this isn't something I'm looking for. I do like using sea trolls as durable units that can draw enemy fire but it's cheaper to just summon some individual trolls for that purpose. So I think part of the problem is you're paying a high price and may only have need of either the troops or the commander. You could of course have a spell to just summon a Sea King and price it competitively but that might detract from the theme of the original spell. Something that I think would cause this spell to see a lot more use is increasing the Sea King's gem gen from one to two gems per turn. Even if you use him as a thug and he gets killed in a half a dozen turns you've still defrayed the cost of the spell significantly. The main drawback would be creating a gem gen mentality but I don't think 2 gems/turn is enough to cause that.

Zmeys are an interesting unit. I like the idea of monsters without full slots being feasible combatants. They are challenging because with flight and without any need to buff they can attack immediately. And of course they can dish out a lot of attacks. But the lack of slots really is a significant drawback. Actually, the main thing that frustrates me about them is that they often have lychantropos' amulets. Please change the cost of those things to 25 gems - not because they are that great but because it's maddening to keep losing mages to them.

As regards the elemental royalty, rather than make them cheaper I would prefer to keep the price as-is and make them significantly better. Generally speaking, I think unique summons that are available to all nations should be better than the non-unique options as a reward for getting them. As to how they are better, well it could be through combat abilities for some of them (ex. earth king have a large AOE attack like the zmey), useful #onebattlespells for others (ex. AQ autocasts fog warriors), and improving the summoning abilities for others (instead of summoning one unit per turn, summon five, etc.).

Speaking of the cost of summons, what do people think of the cost of angelic summons? Perhaps I'm underestimating them since I never play these nations but it seems like these are kind of pricy in comparison to other options.
Tend to be grossly overpriced, but I'd have to go through each of them individually =P

One battle at a time...
The Angel from Blood for Mari is quite usefull, it opens paths and needs B and not S.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM

Sergeant

Nightfall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How would you go about giving Zmeys fire shield?
Umm, I have one in a test CBM 1.92 game right now with F1, although, I admit, I'm not sure what the chance is.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Nor does a research blitz get you the necessary gems to build the gear you need.
I usually prefer to play luck, because I find it more fun, having gems for minor kit isn't usually an issue.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Generally speaking, I think unique summons that are available to all nations should be better than the non-unique options as a reward for getting them.
I absolutely agree 100%; the Eroyals and Archdevils should not compare badly to stuff added by a mod that is across the board easier to summon.

The unique stuff should be the baseline, not tarts, if tarts are still too strong address them, not everything else...
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Krakens? lolz. If you wasted your time beelining enchantment over conjuration underwater, be prepared to lose. (And I don't mean to conjuration UW EDM summons - since i don't think there are any - I mean to Shark Attack, a vanilla spell.)
While rushing Krakens would admittedly be very situational, the potential problem isn't with underwater nations, it's with nations that already have a large benefit from going skelly spam and/or gift of health early. Both of which just happen to combine really well with an early kraken or two.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:21 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
I think the problem is that dom3 is basically a game made up of "OP" things. If you have just been hit by a rush of E9N9 Niefel Giants, or well blessed Jaguar Warriors, or anyone using Fog Warriors, or a massive Eriu stealth / cloud trapeze attack, you could say quite legitimately that these strategies seem "overpowered".
While I agree to an extant, the difference, as I see it, is that most of those things have a huge up front cost. And in some cases, it's an all in strategy.

Currently you can get some early EDM chassis at a relatively insignificant cost.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I just caught up on the thread.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:34 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
Quote:
How would you go about giving Zmeys fire shield?
Umm, I have one in a test CBM 1.92 game right now with F1, although, I admit, I'm not sure what the chance is.
That's quite lucky as they only have a 10% chance of getting fire magic. I've tangled with them a fair amount and I don't think I've come across one with F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
Quote:
Generally speaking, I think unique summons that are available to all nations should be better than the non-unique options as a reward for getting them.
I absolutely agree 100%; the Eroyals and Archdevils should not compare badly to stuff added by a mod that is across the board easier to summon.

The unique stuff should be the baseline, not tarts, if tarts are still too strong address them, not everything else...
Well, I think you have to balance the EDM summons against tarts because they fill the same category: non-unique summons available to all nations. If they aren't competitive with tarts then you'll end up with the same old "must get Chalice/GoH in order to spam tarts" mentality. So, I'd say balance those summons against each other (and make non-unique national summons competitive as well) and then look at making the unique summons special. I think you have a bit more leeway with unique summons because even if they become a bit over the top their numbers are limited so it's unlikely to throw balance off.

On a different topic, I've been thinking about some of the magic items that have been made unique. Some are very good as unique items (dwarven hammer is the one that comes to mind), others not really. In a current game I finally got around to forging the unique SDR, more out of pity than anything else. I guess maybe if you reached Constr. 8 and your only blood access was from something like a lamia queen it could be useful at that point but other than that... So what about giving it boosts along the lines of what was done with owl quills? The drawback is that thematically you'd really be forging them for the secondary ability rather than the primary but I think it's worthwhile in order to make them useful as a unique item.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM

Sergeant

On a completely unrelated note, I don't think I've seen anyone ever use a vampire queen...

Has anyone suggested upping her base dominion to 3. It's a small change that might make her a little more viable?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Another item that should get a discount would be the Sunslayer. 40D gems for this is quite a lot. It was rarely forged even with hammers.
Something which might make it interesting is changing it to a one handed sword and keeping the price. Or at least lowering it to 15-20 gems.