.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aquamarine EA CBM Game Running

So, the two other biggest players, Marv and Sauro, have indicated to me that while they can fight on for many more turns, they feel that I will take the win in the long run. If I've understood them correctly and all the other remaining players agree, I would accept the concession. So, let me know what you all think...
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Corporal

LupusFatalis is on a distinguished road

Well I'd certainly agree.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sensori is on a distinguished road

Works for me. Not much I could do out from the sea anyway.
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

Yes, you put it right. We're loosing both military and economy-wise, as current armageddon sequence, altough predictable, still hurts a lot, especially blood economy and fetish handlers. I was trying to cast AN as it was the only way to secure some income and gain economy advantage but my 250 astral unfortunately weren't enough so we decided to end this to free our time.
Very good play Ironhawk, now I see that even if I allied with CTis we probably had no chances against you. I think one of the biggest problem for me in this game was Pan capital - it slowed my growth for 15 or so turns, as I had to keep serious forces there while preaching Pan dominion all around it.
Ok, so, finally, it was a very nice and interesting game, thanks everyone
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:58 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Rejoice, a true god has ascended! Long live Dark-Omen of Arcosephale!

Oh wow - thats terrible luck you had there Dimaz. You had to have randomly hit my Gift of Health, which was backed with almost 300 gems I'd been hoarding for almost the entire game. Only a 20% chance of that happening and for such a critical spell of yours. Ouch!

This ended up being a very strategic (rather than tactical) game for me. I inherited the nation early and was given the directive to get the artifacts first, which i did and secured several key ones - notably, the Sickle, the Soulstone, the Ankh, and the Dim Rod + Forbidden Light. But more important than that, given the focus on construction research, I began clam and blood stone hoarding early and devoted considerable resources to it over the course of the game.

That choice of strategy made me extremely weak early on and I protected myself with a very thin veil of diplomacy. My plans were almost ruined by an early war with Aby but I bluffed him and he backed down to fight Tir, instead. This was great luck for me cause while I might have been able to muster a defense vs. Aby, I would very likely have lost any chance of winning. After this is was only a matter of time while I reached critical mass with clam -> Wish -> gem production, so I then went on the offensive and wiped out Aby.

After that was the controversial war with CTis alongside Sauro. Dimaz, I know you think I was more powerful than you and CTis combined at this point but I'm not so sure. Remember that CTis threw the majority of his forces at me and with all my resources I had a tough time defeating him. It was a tough and bloody war, but I learned a great deal about using tartarians and Rains of Stone that I employed in later wars.

Once CTis was defeated and his lock of the Well and the Gift broken, I seized the opportunity to take Tartarian dominance. Put my liches to work summoning tarts every round and out-wished Marv for control of the Chalice. I then proceeded to eat Neifelheim who was weakened by war with Helheim. It was at this time - when my tart-factory was running at full steam with basically no external threats - that my power really exploded out of control.

Sensing that I would very soon be ganged by the remaining nations, I preemptively declared war on Marv to try and defeat him before my peace treaty with Sauro expired. After reconsidering my chances I realized I could not win a conventional war in time and instead decided to cast Armageddon under the assumption that if I was prepared for it, it would hurt Marv and Sauro (with their reliance on blood) far more than me.

To achieve that, I stole the Gift of Health from Marv to both expose his mages to Armageddon damage and similarly protect my own. Then I spent many turns forging armor full-tilt across my entire empire. Even at full production, many of my own mages were still unarmored and died when I cast the first armageddon, but I could not wait any more.

So, now you can see the history of decisions I made with this nation. Thanks to all of you for a really fun game!! I can't believe I've been playing this for half a year and I will admit to being very happy to conclude it with a win! Special thanks also to Dimaz for doing a great job admining and being a great sometimes ally sometimes enemy for the full course of the game

Thanks again to all! I'll include my last turn file along with this post if any of you are curious.
Attached Files
File Type: zip early_arcoscephale.zip (136.5 KB, 80 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhawk For This Useful Post:
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting that AAR. I'm happy to hear that my Ctis Lizars survived until near the end and were a big enough threat that they got ganged up on. Thanks again to AlgaeNymph for taking over from me.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

I'm just glad I didn't totally screw things up.