.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ludus - Please Submit Prefs

Directly from the game description on the first page. I've never hosted a game before, but Velusion has hosted many, so I trust in him that this is a good step and not one that should be circumvented. I'm not going to use your password to cheat, but if you feel awkward/unsafe about it use a password you don't normally use for your other pretenders.

If it's a huge issue to comply with, we can find a replacement for you. Again, this isn't my idea really, but I'm sure it's a good one.

The IP of the server gets mailed to you so that you can upload your pretender to it once I get the password for your nation mailed to me.

"After nations are assigned I’ll need you to email your pretender password to jazzepi(at)columbus.rr.com. ****This is because I’ve had issues with the Master Password working in the past AND so we can give your nation to another human player if you disappear.**** This is not optional. If you PM me your password make sure and include your email address if you would like to be included in the diplomacy email distribution list or want email notifications when turns host."

Jazzepi
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CUnknown said:
I read in the first post that we have to e-mail our pretender password to you? Why? Just use the master password if you need to get into our nation.
To be able to give the nation to somebody else in case somebody vanishes completely from the game and from the forum, stalling forever. That's better than setting him to AI. And yes, since there is going to be a masterpass anyway you can aswell send over your password, too. It's not like you are losing anything by it.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Major General

Quote:
lch said:
Quote:
CUnknown said:
I read in the first post that we have to e-mail our pretender password to you? Why? Just use the master password if you need to get into our nation.
To be able to give the nation to somebody else in case somebody vanishes completely from the game and from the forum, stalling forever. That's better than setting him to AI. And yes, since there is going to be a masterpass anyway you can aswell send over your password, too. It's not like you are losing anything by it.
I would also like to mention that Ulm had to be set on AI in a game I'm in, Ragnarok, and it's a real pain in the butt when someone in such a crucial position can't be taken over by a human. Mostly because whatever alliances, or wars were going on at the time, are ignored by the AI. Anything that allows a player's position to be changed into another's players hands seems good to me.

This also happened to Patala in another game I'm in, Hidden Signs. We needed him for a world wide alliance against Emor, but instead he continued to attack Arco who needed time to prepare for Emor. Again, the AI doesn't understand diplomacy so nothing could be done.

The AI is fine for subbing in for a player who's capital is under seige and will never be able to fight back, but it does an awful job replacing someone who is a major super power.

Jazzepi
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Sorry, it's my anti-authoritarian side showing through. I'll do it, I'm glad to get an explanation first, though. I would hope that you'd trust me not to leave the game and stale forever -- I've never done that in any game I've ever been in. I think that dominions is a small enough community that we should all trust each other. I wouldn't invite someone to the game who I thought would be a risk to do something like that (for example, I'm probably never letting Remmy into a game of mine again).

But at the same time, it's not difficult to comply, so I will.
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM

Major General

Honestly, it would simpler be easier for me to not have to collect everyone's passwords and just set people to AI with the master pass. I don't exactly /want/ to have to go through the additional trouble of wrangling passwords out of people, it's just something that seems like a good idea considering the problems it overcomes.

Again, I would encourage you to use a non-default, uncommon password for whatever pretender you send me so that you can be sure I won't be using it to log into one of your other games. I don't have any intention of doing so, but maybe it'll give you more peace of mind.

Jazzepi
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Sergeant

Fal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CUnknown said:
Sorry, it's my anti-authoritarian side showing through. I'll do it, I'm glad to get an explanation first, though. I would hope that you'd trust me not to leave the game and stale forever -- I've never done that in any game I've ever been in. I think that dominions is a small enough community that we should all trust each other.
exactly, you should trust Jazzepi as well .
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

True enough, Fal! I should practice what I preach.

I do trust him, so I went ahead and sent him my password. Now that we've established a bond of trust, let's get started with killing each other!
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Major General

Quote:
CUnknown said:
True enough, Fal! I should practice what I preach.

I do trust him, so I went ahead and sent him my password. Now that we've established a bond of trust, let's get started with killing each other!
I trust that you'll die when I stab you.

Jazzepi
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road

Sorry on the holdup! I didn't even notice it had started. Turn is in now.
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Sergeant

solo is on a distinguished road

Server appears to be down at the moment.