.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Flowers for the grave of MoM.

Quote:
I posted the same at ADOM newsgroup a while ago, but someone there told me that MoM works too slow with DosBox.
I dont have any problems with MoM. Just keep adding cycles (STR + F12 if memory serves me right) until its fine.

One thing I did not like about MoM was the fact that Item creation took so very very long. Hurray for Dominions
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinzMegaherz:
One thing I did not like about MoM was the fact that Item creation took so very very long. Hurray for Dominions
Item Creation took so very very long only if you were a lousy wizard making an obscenely powerful item. Of course, you could also make very nice, obscenely broken items.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:48 PM

Sergeant

Kel is on a distinguished road

I didn't even like making them at all when I could find such nifty items in lairs and nodes !

- Kel
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Corporal

FadingSuns is on a distinguished road

MoM alone caused me to upgrade my computer. The animation for the nodes brought my 486 to a stuttering standstill. I loved the game enough to sink cash into a new system just to get that one part to run smoothly.
Dom2 might do the same for me now. I can run the battles smoothly with the 'world' hidden, but where's the fun with that? Lush battle graphics deserve to be seen!
MoM is still going to be #1 for me, at least until I start being able to stomp some races in Dom2. Gotta love the Myrror world!
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Corporal

Anglachel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by FadingSuns:
MoM alone caused me to upgrade my computer. The animation for the nodes brought my 486 to a stuttering standstill. I loved the game enough to sink cash into a new system just to get that one part to run smoothly.
Dom2 might do the same for me now. I can run the battles smoothly with the 'world' hidden, but where's the fun with that? Lush battle graphics deserve to be seen!
MoM is still going to be #1 for me, at least until I start being able to stomp some races in Dom2. Gotta love the Myrror world!
Oh Wow! Your name just reminded me of a game that I really liked that I would love to find a copy of if there is one around. Empire of the Fading Sun. Flawed as it was, I loved that game and its flavor.
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglachel:
quote:
Originally posted by FadingSuns:
Oh Wow! Your name just reminded me of a game that I really liked that I would love to find a copy of if there is one around. Empire of the Fading Sun. Flawed as it was, I loved that game and its flavor.
The mods -much better than the original- are also still floating around.
I still have everything installed, but have difficulty playing MoM and EoFS with my new Athlon2400xp rig - still in W98SE but my old mem settings with emm386 don't work anymore ...

[ June 07, 2004, 14:53: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

I do not like Emporer of the Fading sun. Covering whole planetary surfaces with different factory sites is annoying and in addition a logistical nightmare. The AI is much to hard and builds insane amounts of everything even on the easiest difficulty level.

By the time I got my first dreadnought the AI had several of them orbiting nearly every planet.

Well, maybe its just me, but this game is far too much work to be any fun
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:04 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

MoM was great. Overall IMHO MoM model is better for SP (I love having control over my troops in battle), Dom2 model is better for MP.

It was about 10 years since I've played MoM for the Last time, and I don't have the copy anymore but I still remeber that game very kindly. And I still remeber the introduction:

"OLDMAN!!! YOU SEEK THE SPELL OF MASTERY!"

Quote:
Originally posted by izaqyos:
For me MOM is still the #1 SP game.
Dominions II is a great great game, just that in SP it tends to bog down to a very slow pace in the end game.
BTW to those of you who loved MOM I recommend to check leylines
What are these leylines? I think I've heard that name before...

[ June 06, 2004, 21:07: Message edited by: Stormbinder ]
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:07 PM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road

EoFS works fine for my AthlonXP on WinXP, and I still pbem it, for which it's perfect. I don't think there were many broken things with it... I absolutely loved the diplomacy model. It felt as if it really worked, even with the AI.

And, really, it's one of the perfect pbem games, despite non-simultaneous turns, because of the incredible intricate political complexities involved. Reminded me very much of Junta the boardgame, where the eternal issue was to find the one Minister of the Inerior among the players you could trust...
Old June 6th, 2004, 11:14 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

MoM was definately an Iconic game. I got it when it first came out and along with MOO and Chaos Overlords (if anyone recalls that) I thought they were the best turn based strats of their era's I spent literally years playing them along various themes.

My fave MoM thing at the start was racing to curse my starter troops with lycanthropy, I had these little visions of these poor spearmen in the employ of Azac the Dead but having long suffering wives who had to put up with their monthly rampages around the local area exploring, then one day they came home but were werewolves.

And I would spend literally hours doing the reload thing to ensure I got the hero I wanted on the summons. I forget what he was called as I always changed his name but he was this stealthy assassin type and I always summoned him an army of night stalkers to terrorise the country with.

I missed DoM 1, but nuff respect to the designers, DOM 2 has lived up to MoM in every way that a host of games have failed in. I only regret that you cant control battlefield combat. Though I can imagine the nightmares of coding that a good AI take.

I raise my glass to MoM.

Spirokeat