.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Global War (started!)

I think CU is in a very tough spot. AIing Pythium would be conceding the game for Good I believe. I did think the AIing of the monkey nations was a tad trigger happy, but it's not exactly easy to find subs.

I don't have a issue with CU playing all of good if he really has too, but I hope it does not come to that.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I see rathar's point, it wouldn't be fun to have to fight against one person playing 2 (or 3) nations - that is a whole different level of coordination. At the same time, Good will be destroyed (even faster) if Pyth goes AI.

Given Good is likely on the road to ruin anyway, and as a two-bit player on the side of Good, I don't care what we do. It goes to the issue of how important it is in a team game to make sure you have players who will stick it out or find subs if they have to leave.

So if rathar objects and we cannot find a sub, I'd lean towards turning Pyth AI after returning all magic items - I suspect it just accelerates the inevitable.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

I think it's interesting that you goodies think you are on the ropes as I only see two evils left really but perspective can be funny! And I agree with CU in a tough spot but..
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

The thing is DonCorazon ... what the heck are we going to do with all those items... I don't have any thugs besides sleepers, myself. Even if they were returned, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

As far as Lanka goes, he shouldn't have been turned AI, I agree. We tried to find him a sub, but it didn't work. I don't see that we had much of a choice to turn him AI.

Rathar - the evils are on the ropes, too.. except for Abysia, who pretty much counts as his own team at this point.

We can turn Pythium AI if you guys want, but Arco will follow. I'm not sure what DC would do at that point. I will probably stick around, what the heck. But, I'd just be staying to kill you, Rathar, haha.

At this point, can we just let Arco and Pythium stale and hope to find subs? I will force host when they are they only 2 left.
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Colonel

CU, I agree the items won't do much good, though it would be nice to get some for my raiders who haven't gotten anything this whole game except one lousy flame brand. Heh.
But we're dead anyway if Pyth goes from friend to foe.

As for my plans, I have been staying on out of a sense of duty - but TNN has gotten so far behind since we had to abandon all our research to help the Goods survive.

Why is Arco leaving, btw? I had to endure thousands of his emails early on in this game Now I have to pay off his loans while he moves on? TNN should just rebel and attack Good anyway out of spite.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

He's leaving for two reasons:

1) Dominions is affecting his performance in school (heh).
2) His nation has been beaten down and he's losing morale.

Yeah ... about the loan ... if we lost Arco and Pythium, Good would default on its loan, I'm sorry to our benefactor.
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Colonel

Nice, reason #2 is a classic:
TNN has been sacrificing its own development/fun by giving up its gems, its research, and its gold to help TC, Pyth and Arcos and they have all quit or (in TC's case) been killed. Now they bail and leave backward TNN to play out the remainder of its miserable existence? Its like they ate the desert up front and left TNN to eat the spinach.

Unbelievable, this is about the 10th time during this game I have told myself never to sign up for a "team" game.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Heh, I check my mail at hotel and see that too...

I was convince to temp[for 1 turn!] sub for Pythium. My first advice for goods was to simply surrender as they had absolutely no chance. Team play completely sucked. Initial plan and race changed sucked. Game administration sucked. Game creation sucked. There were may noobies and unresponsible players allowed, mostly on evil side, which turned evil. Map wasn't goo either, also letting one water nations looks like a huge mistakes.

But well, CU didn't want to surrender [or maybe there was no way to choose who to surrender to with rules of winning for neutrals].

I took the nation over and it was known pretty much from the beginning I need a sub from 25th. And goods knew they have to find someone. Well, they didn't, but moderatio agreed to play for me. And if you ask me it's compeltely fine. Goods are a team, so what's the difference? We were looking at each others turns all the time and coordinating attacks.

P.S. Congrats Don on Alexandria.

P.P.S. That internet in hotel is crap... I finished that stupid post and my mail didn't load still...

LA Agartha guide
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth I have no problem at all with team good consolidating players in any way which is expedient. If DC is feeling like he's been playing support with no fun I say let him pick up Arco and/or Pythium in addition to TNN. On the one hand Rathar has a reasonable objection, on the other team good is in a tough situation and has a very reasonable reason for consolidating players - it's not like we've got people lined up to subs, particularly nations in a demoralizing position (I've got Arco in quite a stranglehold). At the end of the day my opinion is that though Rathar has a point, the health of the game trumps it. I don't think team good will gain *that* much of an advantage, and I tend to agree that team good is in a pretty bad position and any advantage they did gain would benefit the health of the game.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Colonel

I have no interest / capacity in taking over Arcos or Pyth. My point was simply to vent the frustration of playing support for players who bail when things get bad. I'll stick it out until the Golden Hall at Mag Mor is in flames but I am not going to pick up the wreckage of other players - it's bad enough my sacrifices have been in vain, not going to exacerbate it with giving up more of my free time. I will stick it out as TNN, which is what I committed to when I signed up for this game.