.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real-world sensitivities and game names

The name that offends me the most at the moment in Dominions is Qos Qon.

(laugh...)
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Sergeant

triqui is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Among Christians, certainly. On the other hand, it is also the name of Judas Maccabeus , one of the great warriors of Jewish History, and so, I suspect, far less unpopular among Jews.
There are several famous Judas before the one that betrayed the mesias of christian religion. Including one of them that was a saint apostle (Judas Thaddeus). Even then, few people (if any) will name his son "Judas", becouse everybody will think about Iscariot first. Same goes with "Nero","Herodes" or "Torquemada". No Greek will name his child "Ephialtes" and so on.

Those names aren't taboo, and actually there are very good reasons to use them, as most of them have high tradition (like Judas Thadeus. However, they are underused becouse of unpopularity none the less.

I also would like to point that NONE of the prominent "Adolfs" named previously was born after 1945. Which might be a proof of it's unpopularity as well
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Fun things happened, like the privelage of a noble to rape his vassal's bride on their wedding night, and the kidnapping and selling of children who had set out with the intention to free the holy land, in the Children's Cruisade.
Fun things certainly happened, but not those two. Ius primae noctis never existed, and the so-called Children's Crusade didn't consist of children, but of youths, and they didn't end up being sold as slaves.
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

While there's no authentic, irrefutable *proof* of Ius Primae Noctis, there's definitely a body of evidence for it. So...you're right that it may possibly not have existed as such. That it definitely never happened, ever, I seriously doubt you could prove. Scopes has a good article on it. I quote Charles Panati, from the end of the article:

"Surely the use of political power to secure sexual favors is ancient and widespread. The droit du seigneir (another term from Ius Primae Noctis) in the broadest sense - political pressure for sexual favors, what we now call sexual harrassment - must have been invoked all the time, but was formalized in the myths as if it were an unofficial right or law. One that was, from the start, intolerable. It may never, or seldom, have been technically legal, but it was not "just another myth"

Ofcourse, arranged marriages did occur, and still occur today. How that's a whole lot different, or a whole lot better, than Ius Primae Noctis escapes me. And it must be remembered that rulers in ages past were often thought of as semi-divine, somewhat supernatural beings, themselves, with direct physical ties to the well-being of their people and the fertility of the lands they lorded over. So it atleast makes some amount of sense to me that some form of fertility ceremony connected to weddings probably did occur at some point in time, where the king (or what have you) got first crack at the bride on her wedding night.

It might not be proven fact, but it atleast makes some amount of sense that people back then would think in those ways.

The Children's Cruisade has been debunked to my satisfaction though, so thanks for that. You're welcome to switch it out and replace it with the Jonestown Massacre-when it comes to children enslaved and murdered, as a result of an innocent spiritual purpose, that's a comparably ugly story, I would say.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

I really don't think we have to dig too deeply to find rampant evidence of the iniquity of man, from first record, to present. O.o

Though I do think it's funny that people say "power corrupts", when ultimately most powerful people were corrupt to begin with. Thousands of years of people scratching their heads over things like "gee, the king's eldest son died, everyone loved him, did he have ANY enemies? oh well, his younger brother will suffice I suppose, though he's a bit shady".

Some people do extraordinary things to survive. Others, do extraordinarily awful things in order to survive. And yet others are artificially conditioned to think that their survival depends on attainment of more wealth and power, and continually do extraordinarily awful things to that end.

A critical look at the people wielding great power throughout history, will show a handful of admirable and worthy leaders. It will show another handle of mediocre but just and kind rulers. And it will provide seemingly endless lists of the worst kind of scum the world has seen. Not because they commit atrocious acts in person necessarily, but enact policies and send orders that cause incredible suffering to countless citizens whose voice will never be heard crying out in pain across history. Such is the nature of humanity, and of power. For every wrongdoing we discover, there were 10 that were successfully buried, and many of those were the worst.

At least here it's just pixels. Sometimes I shoot pixels in the groin, and then I laugh. I can't allow myself to feel sympathy, because when I hit Exit, they all die anyways.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said: Another good saying is "Beware the man who would keep knowledge from you, for he would be your master". I don't know who said that, off the top of my head, but I do have the power to look it up, and the will to form my own opinions about that saying, and the person who said it, separate the two, and take value from each, individually and as a sum.
That's from the computer game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Quote:
Commissioner Pravin Lal said: As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JimMorrison said: I do think it's funny that people say "power corrupts", when ultimately most powerful people were corrupt to begin with.
Quote:
(Somewhere in the Dune books) Frank Herbert said: Power attracts the corruptible, absolute power attracts the absolutely corruptible.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Corporal

Aapeli is on a distinguished road

Gee this thread is political and full of all kinds of intelligent arguments. Should we care about people being insulted about stuff thats in Dominions? You can call me ignorant if you like but I think all people are equally insane and should just cope with each other no matter what. Everybody respects different things and some things dont mean as much to others than to others. I generally tend to think that its quite hard to exist without insulting someone.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

In my year on this forum there have been 4 or 5 threads from players who say they were insulted/offended by some aspect of the game. I find it amusing that not once has anyone initiated a thread that they have been offended by the blood aspect of the game.

It is disappointing that so many jump in and try to defend the game to the party that claims that they are offended; as if a well written post would change the petty minded fellows opinion and expiate whatever insignificent issue he has chosen to base his indignation.

I know this type of person very well. The one insignificent topic that they have chosen to defend provides some sort of validation to them. Of what, I am not sure, but I suspect it is something big, like their very existance and purpose in life.

The world has bigger and more significent concerns than the terminology in a fantasy game.
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
capnq said:
Quote:
HoneyBadger said: Another good saying is "Beware the man who would keep knowledge from you, for he would be your master". I don't know who said that, off the top of my head, but I do have the power to look it up, and the will to form my own opinions about that saying, and the person who said it, separate the two, and take value from each, individually and as a sum.
That's from the computer game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Quote:
Commissioner Pravin Lal said: As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I really loved that quote. Well, AC was such an awesome game, so uch better than Civ can ever be at this point, I think. 8 \ Oh where are you Alpha Centauri II??