The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game here!

Is there another site to play in? I haven't been aware of this until now. Please, tell us more. This new game will propably face same fate like the first one with current server, I'm afraid.
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

With only 10 people and sans the FQM insantity, it probably won't get as bad.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
So why did you not just continue it with a PBW alternate site? It would not have the 2 MB limit that PBW does.
The game was just too frigging big. Doing the turns became truly "Return to Hell". With 6 large empires left there was no end in sight, and while we could have stretched it a bit longer there was no way this game could ever finish. Better to start over with a clean sheet and let the fighting begin a bit earlier this time
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

The site needs to increase it limits !
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Ok, I have contemplated some of the dicussions that have taken place here and I'm nearing decisions.

Size limits: If this game gets too large for PBW I will be using Ruatha's PHP script to run the turns from either our server here at work or possible asking someone else to host it for me. But until that time it will be run on PBW.

Religious: It sounds like the majority would like to see this Banned for this game. If that is the case it will indeed be Banned. Some more input will be required to make a decision. My personal vote is to ban it but as usual I will go with majority vote for this.

As for the reasoning that Primitive put to the table about training and it being a pain to keep track of all of this. I'd say get rid of training centers as well and make it so you only gain exp. by winning battles and so forth. Ideas on this are welcome.

Turtles: When it comes to using System Shields you must leave at least one system open for warping in. But the more I think about this if we did it like this, then it would be easy to just build a huge fleet(s) in that system and then no one would be able to get in and attempt an attack. Therefore I think I will ban the use of the system shield in this game.

Patch: The game will probably not be started until after the next patch is released. Unless, of course, we can get things organized sooner then that.

I believe that is it for now. If I forgot anything let me know.

Revised list of players:
1 - Ragnarok
2 - Primitive
3 - Spoo
4 - Tesco
5 - Renegade 13
6 - Electrum
7 - Karibu
8 -
9 -
10 -
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Banning the system shield is going to make for a chaotic game. You might not get the type of fleet actions you're looking for- just open warp point, send in fleet with star destroyer, boom.

Perhaps a small mod to make the system shields not stop warp points?

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

i say keep training and keep the talisman... just drop a hint that it would be really smart for players to take religous... Training is easy... send ships to training centre... have them hang around in training fleet if there is a moon then fleets, ships train at 6% So... you have 5 training fleets ... 1 dummy ship that stays in the fleet... So Train fleet 1 to 5... And then your real fleet... So on turn 1 all ships that arrive go into train fleet 1... 2 for turn 2 , 3 for turn 3, 4 for turn 4... On turn 5 fill train fleet 5 and then move the ships out of train fleet 1 ( except for the dummy ) and move them into the real fleet... On turn 6 you dump the new ships into train fleet 1 and move out the ones from train fleet 2.... Very easy and easy to follow...

or ban religous and advanced military science...

I would like to keep the system shields... I see no wrong in killing your warp point out to a bad universe and then opening another one up somewhere else... ITs a big game and we all want to set up our systems.... All were going to do then is just create 10 warp points between each of our systems... So just keep the system shields... I like to build my defences to see how they will hold out... ( as I never got to use them in the Last game... I would like to see it this game )

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
Banning the system shield is going to make for a chaotic game. You might not get the type of fleet actions you're looking for- just open warp point, send in fleet with star destroyer, boom.

Perhaps a small mod to make the system shields not stop warp points?
I never thought about the star destroyer. When I think of system shield I think of stopped warp points being opened and closed. But you are right about that part P-D. So I think with that in view that system shields will be allowed but you must leave at least one system open.

It looks like the majority will vote for religious so we will leave that in. Training stays as well, doing it Tesco's way is rather simple really. I'm sure most players will knot that you pretty much will need to take religous trait to have a chance to play in the late game. Well, you wouldn't need to, but it is taking a large risk not taking it.

Hopefully this week I will find time to write up a story background for this game. That brings up another point, I would like to encourage roleplaying if possible. It will add a little bit more flavor to the game.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Karibu:
Is there another site to play in? I haven't been aware of this until now. Please, tell us more. This new game will propably face same fate like the first one with current server, I'm afraid.
Ruatha developed some PHP scripts for use when the PBW server goes on hiatus to set up alternate sites so that games can be continued. http://pbw.spaceempires.net/ was hosting several of these the Last time PBW went on an extended vacation, for example.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:58 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I'm all for leaving Religious in, but isn't it going to be a little redundant? Everyone is going to take it, therefore there's no real advantage for anyone. Of course, you still have the religious facilities which are a great advantage themselves.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )