.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: proposed death curse change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
I think glamour is one thing and mirror image another, but maybe I'm wrong?

(If so, Mirror imaged twisted fated glamoured vans = )
Glamour I think both gives an in-battle mirror image and makes a unit extremely stealthy outside of battle.

And Dectilon, my point is that tir na n'og's tuatha warrior sacreds have glamour, a magic weapon and can have several blesses added on top of that and I don't think they're considered to be a particularly powerful sacred nation. Of course, the easiest way to get rid of the mirror image is to shoot them, which would be a lot harder with the air shield bless as jimmorrison pointed out earlier.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

Ah... Yeah, that's true.
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Mirror Image would be slightly more effective than Twist Fate in melee, and ineffective against missiles or spells. I think that implies it would actually be an excellent companion to Air Shield, and would make A9/S9 an interesting choice for sheer staying power.
Mirror Image will be exactly as effective in melee combat as Twist Fate, on average. Twist Fate negates the first successful, damaging hit. Mirror Image has a 50% chance to stop each hit which would otherwise be successful and damaging hit, and if so it sticks around. There's a 50% chance of blocking zero hits, a 25% chance of blocking one, a 12.5% chance of blocking two, etc. Do the math and you'll see that adds up to exactly one hit blocked, the same as Twist Fate.

Two differences: Twist Fate works against spells, and Glamour scales with Air because it *is* Mirror Image. That's why high-level Vanir mages get multiple starting images.

-Max

Edit: Oh. One possible flaw in the above analysis is that I'm not 100% sure how Glamour interacts with the -2 penalty for each attack. That is, I've tested it by modding and concluded that Glamour/Mirror Image (unlike Ethereal) still reduces your defenses on a negated hit--but I haven't actually confirmed this by checking the debug log. (I did things like take an A9 pretender with high defense and measure how many attacks are necessary to get through after he's cast Mirror Image. With Ethereality the effects of high defense/Ethereality are multiplicative, with Mirror Image they're additive.)

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]

Last edited by MaxWilson; December 5th, 2008 at 08:12 PM..
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Mirror Image would be slightly more effective than Twist Fate in melee, and ineffective against missiles or spells. I think that implies it would actually be an excellent companion to Air Shield, and would make A9/S9 an interesting choice for sheer staying power.
Mirror Image will be exactly as effective in melee combat as Twist Fate, on average. Twist Fate negates the first successful, damaging hit. Mirror Image has a 50% chance to stop each hit which would otherwise be successful and damaging hit, and if so it sticks around. There's a 50% chance of blocking zero hits, a 25% chance of blocking one, a 12.5% chance of blocking two, etc. Do the math and you'll see that adds up to exactly one hit blocked, the same as Twist Fate.

Unless it were granted as level 2, so that each unit gains 2 images instead of just 1 (I think that's how that works). This would yield a melee bonus comparable to the lack of missile/spell protection, in general terms.

Though overall I favor the Charge Body effect over a Mirror Image, I think they both could be viable and not overly powerful in a general sense.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I'd still prefer some prec boost IMHO we're lacking something for sacred archers and mages. (well, D is not bad for those but still)
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

I always thought Precision bless would be pretty awesome, but it does seem that it could be highly abusable. One the one hand you have nations with strong evocation mages that are hard to kill, like Agartha, whose weakness is low Precision. On the other hand, you have Air nations, whose mages already have excellent Precision, who can take an Air bless, and then use Storm with impunity to wreck your Precision, while theirs stays nice and high.

Not to mention the wacky synergy between E+A bless, for sacred mages. Tell you one thing, if you don't fear R'lyeh yet, you would with that kind of bless.

Ultimately I think blesses aren't meant to change the mage balance very heavily, but I don't know for sure.