This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Corporal

LordAxel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official SE5 release date announced - Septembe

Every game wil have a bug the main issue appears to be they shouldnt be shipped with major bugs.
I mean i still dont know how they ever shipped games like Deadlock 2 that wouldnt even run without a patch
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Most of the time, it's a very easy decision to make. It's simply because they don't care.
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:33 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Would you buy a car whichs brakes arent working, in mind "oh well they will work in 2 weeks.".
Or maybe "oh well they MAY work in 2 weeks" ?

There is no way to argue about that.
Big problem with your analogy; vehicles are required to be as "bug-free" as humanly possible because your safety (and life) depend on it! Your life won't hang in the balance if a game has a few bugs, it will if your car does Comparing the auto industry with the PC Gaming industry is like comparing a White Dwarf star to a supernova

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, i have some more arguments at hand but i feel i will be misunderstood because of wrong grammar and/or wording.

At any rate, if you think its okay to buy games or stuff in general which is broken, do so. I simply wont, easy as it is.
And, even considering the amount of critism i got, i cant understand your point of view at all. You are spending your money for stuff that is mostly not working and you think thats fine ? weird.

Anyways, one more thing. You all like the point "oi so many systems, its very hard to make a game bug free".

But you obviously oversee i was clearly referring to GAME bugs, bugs within the code who have absolutly *NO* reference to a system setup. You like the bugs of Civ2 ? Fine, those are GAMEPLAY bugs, within the game, with absolutly no corespondence to a potential different setup.
That also negates the point of "consoles are always the same", because even if they are its not important since the bugs i am talking about are created not by graphical issues (which is usually the problem with hardware-based bugs) but gameplay bugs.
And, once again, these days almost every major game is retailed, with a patch or several patches following close after. Face it: The customer is being played with.,

Renegade: The reason i chose car vs game is easy. Because of the money. For the standart 16 year old guy a game is pretty expensive, as is a car for a 30 year old guy. I can as well just take a flat screen tv, that pair of inliners or potentially even your new mobile phones with loads of functions.
The gaming industry was a niche market years ago, but is more and more moving towards the mainstream. With this, the amount of money involved grows (Ubisoft, 60% more gain this year, anyone?), and so the Industry more and more moves towards "we want easy money, lets arse the customer", just like every other major player.
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

This probably leads to the real reason that home PC game sales have been declining in the last couple of years, drawing attention to the console games. I just don't believe that games are playtested well enough these days as to trap bugs before it is released. OR else all the people who purchase the games are considered the 'playtesters.'
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Ragnarok-X said:
At any rate, if you think its okay to buy games or stuff in general which is broken, do so.

The arguments I've read seem to have been to the effect of "games today are not much more bugged than in the past," not "we like buying buggy products." Nobody likes buying buggy products, but that is how it is, so we have to make do.

That also negates the point of "consoles are always the same"...

No it doesn't. Console games require an order of magnitude less testing time on graphical/system config issues, which means more time to test other things (or faster time-to-market).
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Renegade: The reason i chose car vs game is easy. Because of the money. For the standart 16 year old guy a game is pretty expensive, as is a car for a 30 year old guy. I can as well just take a flat screen tv, that pair of inliners or potentially even your new mobile phones with loads of functions.
I can understand why you chose the example you did, but I just don't think it was a very good comparison. Perhaps a better comparison would be Game vs. Book. If a game is buggy and you can't really play it, it's similar to buying a book that's missing a few pages here or there. I think that works well as a good comparison.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:08 AM

Corporal

Dizzy is on a distinguished road

Well, I can tell you right now it wont sell into that crossover crowd if thats the way the box art looks. It's completely stupid! No one's gonna buy that lizard in a monk robe game!

They shoulda put a hot terran chick with tits and a space ship on the front. Tits and space ships sell. Lizards in monk robes dont.
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:07 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:

They shoulda put a hot terran chick with tits and a space ship on the front. Tits and space ships sell. Lizards in monk robes dont.
Dizzy wins the "tell it like it is prize." This week's prize is a spaceship. With tits.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dogscoff said:
Dizzy wins the "tell it like it is prize." This week's prize is a spaceship. With tits.
Reminds me a bit of this comic .