The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Corporal

halstein is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And now ? (WinSP dreams)

I have XP, and run Age of Rifles. Had to do a bit of hacking to make it work, but noting advanced. However, I think the SP-series could be pressed back to 1900, but not much further. Earlier formations were all important.

Halstein.
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Private

Dracula is on a distinguished road

Rather childish query, if you want corpses you should find better than SP series.

Combat mission, Age of rifles and age of wonder etc... all these games have corpses so it makes them childish ?

As I say to patG its not about gore bur more for the "feeling" of a TRUE battle.

Cheers

Vincent
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Private

Dracula is on a distinguished road

Quote:

At ground scale, one body is 2 pixels, at vehicle scale, 13 so not much more than greasy smears.

Of course when I said corpses I think of "generic" corpses like one corpses to figure the distruction of an entire squad like in combat mission and of course not 12 corpses for a squad... here is a little sample (not my work) of what it could be looks like

Cheers

Vincent
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 436479-corpses.bmp (2.25 MB, 101 views)
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Private

TheRedstarSWL is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see a Arid terrain type for the editor.

A mix of dead and green trees, Default hexes are like the bare earth ones (Perhaps a bit more grass?), Yellow high grass year round instead of just in the winter and muddy water which could also be used in the Jungle terrain setting because South-East Asia does not look that good when the Mekong Delta is bright blue instead of the color of mud.

Edit:
Also, Is a toggle for Engineer squads so they don't clear mines possible?
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

Sorry I'm a bit late for this, but your point number 3 isn't really a point as I see it. Let me explain. Sure it's nor accurate that the smoke is an inpenetrable shield but then again look at SPWAW if you're aware of it. In SPWAW it's truly pathetic, as the smoke, any "one" puff of smoke, that is, can last upwards beyond 8 TURNS!!! At least the timing of winSPWW2 smoke is very realistic. The accuracy that this smoke covers a spot for one turn or two at maximum length is truly a playing wonder compared to the aforementioned.
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Charles22 said:
Sorry I'm a bit late for this, but your point number 3 isn't really a point as I see it. Let me explain. Sure it's nor accurate that the smoke is an inpenetrable shield but then again look at SPWAW if you're aware of it. In SPWAW it's truly pathetic, as the smoke, any "one" puff of smoke, that is, can last upwards beyond 8 TURNS!!! At least the timing of winSPWW2 smoke is very realistic. The accuracy that this smoke covers a spot for one turn or two at maximum length is truly a playing wonder compared to the aforementioned.
Well, that's smoke is totally ridiculous in SPWAW ain't an excuse for it being still overpowered in SPWin !
Talking about SPWAW I was just playing the Eagles MC and could assault a bunker 6 times a turn with an squad, pretty gamey isn't it ?
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:09 AM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

Ah, good, I had not noticed the difference in the two assault treatments since you mentioned that.

It would seem the only way you could to some degree solve the smoke wall would be to have either smoke that sometimes failed or have a variety of smoke that would allow to be seen through, but would cut accuracy maybe 50%. If you really want to get technical you could perhaps make a new kind of smoke that was a visual wall (what we have now) but that could only be fired by certain ground units (smoke pots). I suppose with such a smoke it would have to be set off in the hex the unit is in, and it's duration would be somewhat longer than what we have now.
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:28 AM

Private

Helm is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see a % chance of an immobile vehicle effecting repairs if not in combat and due to bogging down not hits nothing is more annoying than having a vehicle bog down miles from anywhere and sit there doing nothing
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:12 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

You can see through smoke guys. If the visibility is high and you're close to it you can sometimes see through the smoke and not just the 'partial' dissolving smoke but full smoke hexes too.

Also, smoke is NOT an impenetrable screen. You can fire through it using area fire.

And concerning the smokepots Carles22 mentioned; why would these have to be set oof in a units own hex? A unit can use antitank mines, satchel charges, magnetic grenades, etc from adjacent hexes. These are hardly things you can throw 50 metres at a hard target. So if these can be used in an adjacent hex it only makes sense to have the same apply to 'smoke pots'. Which gives you exactly what the game has now. The real question is whether maybe too many (infantry type) units carry smoke and too much of it?

Narwan
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:37 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Agreed Narwan, I think the simplest fix would be to just remove any smoke ability to infantry (except engineers/pioneers and so on).