.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:41 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet invasion of Norway 1963

The Norwegian Homeguard of today differs a bit from the one that was active during the cold war.

Heimevernet was established immediatly post-WWII and initially had to make do with old gear as the army had priority. One reason for its establishment was the idea of "controling" the wartime resistance movements like Milorg - a side effect of that was that the Norwegian Home Guard had a sort of dual identity - one line was that the purpose of the Home Guard was to protect against coups/surprise attacks - as the members kept their weapons and gear at home they would be very quick to mobilise.

The other leg it rested on was the idea that the Home Guard was to be able to conduct geurilla warfare - which was, AFAIK, unofficial, but many officers in the Home Guard had their background in the WWII resistance/sabotage type organisations(Kompani Linge/Milorg). According to the Norwegian Defence hompage the debate about the use of the Home Guard as Geurilla units was hot up to the 1970s. The homepage also states that "the further north you got the closer the co-operation with the army".

source:
http://hv.forsvaret.no/om/historie/Sider/Gerilija.aspx

Not sure how the Home Guard designated it's units during the cold war though...
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Once again thanks Wulfir.

Seems that at least until 1963 (and quite probably 1970) the Homeguard was operated as the nucleus of a large scale guerrilla operation as opposed to a defensive one.

That certainly makes a MAJOR difference in my little scenario. I had them in trenches trying to hold off or at least slow/blunt the Soviet Hordes. Given that they see themselves as a guerrilla force that is one of the last things they'd do.

Back to the drawing board?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Hoping not to pre-empt you Suhiir, but I've been working on a Norway scenario set for the future and not in your era. I've been trying to work out the play balance on it and yet keep it realistic but after 8 run throughs and adjustments, I'm still not there yet.

You've got me obsessed with this concept.

I have a map finished which I will post with the scenario (separately) if you want to use it. It's of Bardufoss in Troms. I'm also working on a map on the Russian border but that's a long way from being finished.

I'll try to post it this weekend if I can at least work out a draw.

Grant1
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:22 PM

Lieutenant General

I made use of the map generator for mine. I had a few features in mind wanted the map to have so I just kept tweaking parameters and generating maps till I got one I liked for the scenario. Then used the map editor to make a few minor adjustments to some of the randomly generated but geologically unlikely areas.

Make you a deal tho. You can only play test your own scenarios so far because you KNOW where everything is, where it's suppose to go, and what reinforcements will arrive where. So I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:05 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I had them in trenches trying to hold off or at least slow/blunt the Soviet Hordes.
Put them in the trenches.

To buy time for the rest of the rest of the defence to mobilise is a perfectly reasonable assignment for the Scandinavian type Home Guard units.

If I got it right the geurilla ideas originated form the WWII experiences of many of the initial commanders of the Norwegian Home Guard but it was a kind of unofficial doctrine.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM

Lieutenant General

That and it was mentioned the unofficial guerrilla doctrine was especially prevalent in Finnmark.

But yeah, buying time I can see.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Soviet invasion of Norway 1963

Quote:
I had them in trenches trying to hold off or at least slow/blunt the Soviet Hordes. Given that they see themselves as a guerrilla force that is one of the last things they'd do.
Yes, but I do not think putting an essentially "guerrilla" or militia force in trenches, as part of a static defense is prudent. However, hastily laid IED's, mines, and other obstacles along with snipers and RPG teams is most appealing to a Home Guard tasked to reconnoiter, delay, and harass an aggressor while securing important domestic installations until follow up forces are mobilized and put to the fight.

So, I agree with Suhiir's initial response to take the Home Guard out of trenches.

IMHO.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:52 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Make you a deal tho. You can only play test your own scenarios so far because you KNOW where everything is, where it's suppose to go, and what reinforcements will arrive where. So I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
You're right there. I'll post the scenario as a separate post in the scenario section but I'll give you some background of the development of it here.

From the research I've done, the mission of the Norwegian Army during the Cold War (and after) was to buy time in case of a Soviet (now Russian) invasion for NATO to mobilize reinforcements to hold the coastal areas of Norway (including the heartland south). The Soviets (Russians) would be combatting not only a numerically inferior foe, but also battling the weather and inhospitable terrain of Finnmark (northernmost county) and Troms (starting the characteristic fjord terrain south). Because of those latter factors, the Soviets had to either time their invasion with the weather/terrain (basically a two month window in late March into April where the ground was still firm enough to allow vehicular traffic off road), or contend with hostile weather or terrain impasses in the other months.

My scenario comprises a Russian decision to move into Northern Norway (perhaps more dependent upon success) to secure its northern flank on the expanded military bases on its Karelian peninsula. In this move, the Russians not only move across the Norwegian border near Kirkenes in Finnmark, but also move troops and aircraft across northern Finland. This was always an option for the Soviets, and provisions to move through Finnish territory existed in treaty if the USSR (Russia now) was threatened. Such a "threat" is presumed in this scenario (leaving Finland to decide its actions??).

Use of ground forces, air, sea, naval infantry, and airborne assets from the "Leningrad" district (is it still called that, I'm a Cold War Historian?) were to be amassed.

I'm not going to give away my theory of this assault, but in this scenario (Bardufoss) the mission of the Russian player is to take the Bardufoss Lufthavn (now an airbase), to deny the Norwegian player further use of this base to support Brigade Nord (Norwegian Army) forces in their delaying action against the onslaught. Although I know that could be done by air attack alone (at least temporarily), my Russian mission is to assault and hold the air base for reinforcements either by air or ground, from what would be a rapid advance through Finnmark and flanked through northern Finland.

With our current international condition, the response of NATO could be (and probably would be) slower than during the Cold War. In fact, during the Cold War, military planners were concerned about the response of NATO to such an invasion, and how soon help would arrive (length of response by the Canadian Battle Group, naval interdiction of forces, use of the Marine Expeditionary Force in other theatre, etc.). Although threat of naval interdiction in the Atlantic would be reduced for the modern scenario, historic reductions in force composition for NATO would fulfill the same impact.

The map is based on a Soviet topographic sheet for Bardufoss as well as Google Earth satellite photos. Scaling this accurately was difficult and some discretion had to be made (sorry). Also, WinSPMBT is unforgiving to allow for streams and lakes at elevations other than "0". So mud and snow is used to depict frozen lakes and streams. Norway also has numerous upland bog terrain and swamp terrain in the game won't go high. So mud was also used here.

Bardufoss hosts an F-16 squadron and I wanted them off base to avoid use of these units in the game. I use the premise that the majority of air assets have been moved to central Norway for maneuvers to open the base for attack. Designer discretion, but plausible as an opening for the Russian player in a dynamic international setting of Russian moves in the Baltic.

Units at Bardufoss are those I can find stationed at or near the base, or those reasonably moved there.

One final thing. Norwegian defense (NATO also) depended upon intelligence of potential aggression by the Soviets (Russia). Norway depended upon a window of 5-7 days to mobilize Home Guard units for reserve. In the 80's, a Soviet move to the border occurred with no prior intelligence, leaving Norway and NATO off-guard. This is similarly used in this series as an underlying premise. Home Guard units reside in most Norwegian communities. For play balance, Bardufoss has its share (OK, maybe a little more..).

I'll post the game separately, and the map onto this tread later. Suhiir, I'd especially appreciate your comments on the scenario. As you were in country, it would help me with later scenarios.

Grant1
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:49 PM

Corporal

Attached is the map I made for Bardufoss, Troms, Norway.

Grant1
Attached Files
File Type: zip spmap626.zip (256.5 KB, 61 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

That's one nice looking map Grant1pa, congratulations. I must admit that this is really motivating and inspiring to see such further interest nowadays in scenario building. I'm feeling more proud everyday to be part of this loyal and dedicated WINSPMBT/WINSPWW2 scenario/mapmaking community keeping Steel Panthers alive throughout the years. Thanks.