This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Prices

Why? Are you thinking of sueing the oil companies for personel hardship?
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Up from 2.75 to 2.99 in one day do to the effect of the hurricane yesterday. WTF???? Why gouge us now when the effect of the hurricane HAS NOTHING to do with us? Or at least not for a few more days!

I am surprised that they did not send Gas prices to $5.00 following 9/11! Hell if they can use every weather event, natural act of God, and voodoo whim to raise the price of gas, why didn't they sock it too us on 9/11?

This is BULL****! They are doing the EXACT same thing that ENRON did a few years back by creating a deliberate short fall of gas to drive up the cost domestically. The price of a barrel of oil my be at an all time high, punishment for the war I guess, but high gas taxes, greed, and out right fraud are what have driven the price of Gas to $3.00 a gallon.

"If they can afford $2.00 a gallon then they can afford $3.00 a gallon."

And our government is saying that these high prices are having NO affect on any one..... WHAT UTOPIA FAIRY LAND DO THOSE DUMB***, STUPID **very bad words** LIVE IN?

These high gas prices are affecting food costs, up over 30% in the last 3 months, travel and tourism, recreational and out door actives, and oh yes we cannot forget the grand prize, peoples ability to drive.

Although I have not noticed a decrease in traffic, quite the opposite in fact. It seems more and more high-end cars are on the road these days and fewer and fewer lower class cars.

It seems only the rich can now afford to drive and the rest of us, those who are lower class, can only afford to drive when its absolutely necessary to do so.

So the rich win by default. They are the only ones who can afford to buy gas to drive so they enjoy the benefit of having fewer cars on the road. Hell its like a rich mans driving club. Only the rich are aloud to drive now.... They own the road, and all you have to do is drive to the store to see how they react. They do own the road. And when they take the cel phone away from their head, they might, if they are being generous, turn on a signal indicating that they are about to cut you the [censored] off. Hell rules of the road and even the law does not apply to these rich SOB's so why should safety and courtesy matter?

"How dare you drive on my road you peasant!"

The sad thing is, no one seems to really care about the prices except for crack pots and doom sayers. And that is sad.
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:17 AM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

Look at a map of US oil production and refining, compare with the path of the hurricane and were it hit.

Hopefully all is clear now.

9/11 didn't impact oil production. At all. In fact as large chunks of the US Population became terrified of flying oil use dropped tremendously.

One question, are fuel taxs state or fedral? I'd imagine they're fedral but I confess I don't know. If they are fedral then no way can they be cut, with a budget deficit the size of Africa's GDP and no easy choices on spending cuts they can't afford to cut taxes.

Despite what you may think oil men aren't total gits, their buissnessmen. A fine distinction I'll admit, but if why should they take the extra cost of a natural disaster? If it's any consolation even if petrol prices hadn't gone up, you still would have ended up paying for it some way. The consumer always does. C'el la vie.
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:03 AM

Major

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4199584.stm

I think covers it.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

The people who run the gas stations need to raise the price somewhat in advance because if they didn't then people who buy all their gas up at the lower price and a few days later when their more expensive inventory comes in, they won't be able to sell it.
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM

First Lieutenant

The effects of what is going on will be felt by everyone! Discretionary cash will now be devoted toward "necessities" rather then all the "extras" people have been used to. I have been telling people for a long time now that our governments are "out of touch" with their people. This is why you get these ridiculous statements that claim everything is just great. As Atrocities mentioned:

"And our government is saying that these high prices are having NO affect on any one..... WHAT UTOPIA FAIRY LAND DO THOSE DUMB***, STUPID **very bad words** LIVE IN? "

I feel the crunch and I know that other do too! You just need to start buying what you need and let the extras go for awhile. We need to send a message and the only one they will hear is one that effects THEIR bottom line...
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:35 PM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

$1.18 (metric) price here in Ontario.

Ouch, that is going to hurt.

I have plans to journey to see a buddy with another buddy in next couple of days.
A short jaunt, and the driver friend has a good job, lives with parents, and no woman.
Even with all that, my destination friend and I are going to chip in a few bucks towards gas expense of the visit.

There needs to be something done across the board about this situation.
Those on gas heating better learn how to cut drafts and get to like sweaters this winter cold or not.
Better start adjusting your food budget, because your groceries will start inching up in cost. It takes fuel to produce and or deliver it.

This is going to need way more than ditching a love affair with gas guzzling suvs.
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM

First Lieutenant

You know that Katrina wiped out a lot of the US Southern coast, caused oil problems, raised prices AND the Stock Market is up! I ask myself "what that's all about?" How can all these negative events happen and Wall Street just shrugs it off!!! I guess big money doesn't care about world events if there's money to be made!
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:56 PM

Major

Well the hurricane isn't a surprise. It's been factored in ever since people knew it was going to hit. Look back a few days, thats when the stock market dropped. When something's happening it's already old news.

Since then consider the news: When it hit it was only a category 3, it missed the middle of New Orleans, it won't cost insurance firms as much as they thought, the US is releasing emergency oil stocks lowering the price of oil. Hence the market goes up on the 'good' news.

What did you expect the entire world just to stop as something bad happened in the US? Did the US stop when the earthquake hit Bam killing tens of thousands? Life goes on, and part of that life is the stock market.
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Look at a map of US oil production and refining, compare with the path of the hurricane and were it hit.
Here in WA we have been repeatedly told by the Oil companies that our refinaries in and around Seattle produce all the gas for our entire area. The oil here does not go through the Gulf it comes in by sea via the Pacific Ocean. So now we know that they are always lying to us. Oil prices are effected by everything from a single plane crash near a refinary to some curse some voodoo princess placed on the head of Mobile. Hell everything is an excuse to raise prices even if it is utter BS. That kind of price gowging must be stopped. I heard, albeit not confirmed, that the Hawain Governor put a freeze on the price of gas in his state.

Fuel taxes are both State and Federal with WA being one of the higest in the country now. Once her election was confirmed, our new govenor raised the tax by 10 cents over four years. However the very next day the price of gas went up by 10 cents at all the stations. "The new Tax." WTF, the tax hadn't even taken effect yet, and once it did it was only going to be 4 cents! So the station owners are ripping us off and using the tax as an excuse to do it figuring that people are too stupid to figure it out. Hell even if they do figure it out, what can they do? Everyone one else raised their prices by 10 cents, so all is good in the land of the rich and getting richer.

Whent he Exxon Valdies (sp) went a ground in 89 they raised the price of gas saying that the spill was so great that we had a gas shortage. That turned out to be bull but it worked so no, I do not believe a good God damn thing the oil businessmen say. They are all greedy bastards willing to rob you blind to make more money than God.

The people who run gastations raise their prices to make money, thats it.

As to wall street being up over the natural weather event that just occured, well Wall Street is all about money and nothing makes money like natural disasters and death. More more that is destroyed the more they love it. Why you ask, because the things that are destroyed must be rebuilt. Rebuilding costs money and that money helps companies to grow.