.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Demobilization

Demobilizing troops: It should be possible to demobilize troops. Disbanded 'normal' units with minds might contribute to province defense, unrest, both, or neither -- probably depending on dominion, unrest, existing PD, and whether they were healthy or starving (wounded units most likely to simply vanish; healthy, but inexperienced units, especially hungry ones, in a province riven with unrest might turn to banditry).

Disbanded magical, undead or demon units might simply vanish or turn to unrest only, if they have minds; and simply dissolve, otherwise.

One question would be whether the commander demobilizes with them.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Sergeant

SelfishGene is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Points for Slumbering gods too high

It's hard to say, but you can create some pretty obscene high-bless gods with Imprisoned. With even more points, it means you can get a dual-9, decent scales, AND a high dominion.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patch Improvements

Date: 10/10/2006 Main topic updated... I didn't get to add everyones, but it will eventually be done.

Please NOTE: Post your approval for suggestions others listed which you find important.
I will update the original topic allowing the developers to see which are in greatest demand.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

I see nothing wrong with imprisoned points, if anything, I think that they are too low. However, I really wish we had more points to start with so that playing an awake pretender was a valid choice for a reason other than to get a rush/early game SC.

Another suggestion to throw out there to be ripped apart by the community: (I have not really though about this) Blessing requiring an alive god that has awoken/broken free. The obvious extension would be that dying/losing magic would hurt your bless, but that's going too far IMHO. This would make the imprisonned blessing God from heaven/hell less of a threat, since by the time it actually benefits from its bless, it is quite easy to counter superblessed vaniir or whatever. Alternatively there could be a bless penalty for not being awake/alive: say your bless is treated as one 'point' lower in all paths you get a bless from (i.e. 10 becomes 9, 9 becomes 8, 8 becomes 6, 6 becomes 4, 4 becomes unavailable) that would certainly provide a reason to take 10 in a path, something that isn't really present.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demobilization

There is already some complaints on hosting times. Keep in mind that some of these suggestions would vastly slow down host processing. Particularly things that affect every province (with the new 1500 limit), or every commander, or some of them every round of combat. Choosing a multiplayer option that downgrades the soloplay options might be a consideration.

Just thought Id toss that in on some of the "dont know why it hasnt been done" comments.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
There is already some complaints on hosting times. Keep in mind that some of these suggestions would vastly slow down host processing. Particularly things that affect every province (with the new 1500 limit), or every commander...
You mean like calculating aging for every commander?
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

PATCH IMPROVEMENT REQUEST

Better starting AI at game start, turn 1 or 0 if u prefer (as that's where the problem lies), AI's r dieing of dominion death turns 1 - 10 or stagnating in there home province due to taking bad scales, becoming easy kills, lvls normal to difficult.

Overall the AI Is very good when it gets going, just a starting problem with a few who seem to get the game setup wrong.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Private

biekert is on a distinguished road
Default Points for Slumbering gods too high

I think the 150 points for missing only the first year is too rewarding - you can really pump up your scales to the point that it seems almost folly to take an awake pretender unless the map is tiny and you can use him as a SC. I'd recommend moving the point reward down to 100 or even 80.

I'm also a little confused about aging - it seems like units' ages are increasing much faster than the 3-8 years that a dom3 game typically plays out in.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:18 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Points for Slumbering gods too high

Quote:
biekert said:
I think the 150 points for missing only the first year is too rewarding - you can really pump up your scales to the point that it seems almost folly to take an awake pretender unless the map is tiny and you can use him as a SC. I'd recommend moving the point reward down to 100 or even 80.

Not sure the 150 is wrong, but the added bonus for being imprisoned and not showing up for _three_ years (two years after the slumbering ones) should be at least as much as the bonus for slumbering.

Quote:

I'm also a little confused about aging - it seems like units' ages are increasing much faster than the 3-8 years that a dom3 game typically plays out in.
It's seemed that way to me as well - and of course, unless you jot down ages for _every_ unit (or at least commander) and track each unit every turn, almost impossible to actually catch. Probably won't be fun to debug either.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

I much prefer the idea of a spirit in the otherworld lending some portion of divine strength from afar. I'd prefer to keep bless as is. That and I like imprisonment.