.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet invasion of Norway 1963

Well if you're shooting for "realistic" Canada officially dropped it's commitment to provide a light infantry brigade for Norway in 1994 (or thereabouts), and the British have vital personal interests in not seeing Norwegian ports and airfields in unfriendly hands.

For future scenarios I'd look VERY seriously at Svalbard.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:14 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Well if you're shooting for "realistic" Canada officially dropped it's commitment to provide a light infantry brigade for Norway in 1994 (or thereabouts), and the British have vital personal interests in not seeing Norwegian ports and airfields in unfriendly hands.

I did research this afternoon on Longyearbyen and the Russian coal mining operation at Barentsberg. Can't find a topo sheet yet but still looking.

One of the problems I'm having is finding good satellite coverage for areas in Finnmark, nortern Finland, and Troms. So I'm relying on old Soviet maps for many of the areas of interest I have.

I knew the Canadian CAST Brigade disbanded in 1989 and Canada limited its ready status for involvement in Norway. Shame, good soldiers properly tasked.

Looking forward to seeing your scenario soon.

Grant1
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post

45 Cdo is based up the road from me in Arbroath. The Arctic and Mountain Warfare cadre operates out of there IIRC.

Once, when working at a summer holiday student job at a Dundee cold store stacking pallets of frozen haddock, I ran into some of these guys at the back of the main cold store. This was summer, so they had decided to put a few guys to camping in there just to get them "acclimatised"...

cheers
Andy
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1pa View Post
One of the problems I'm having is finding good satellite coverage for areas in Finnmark, nortern Finland, and Troms. So I'm relying on old Soviet maps for many of the areas of interest I have.
Well, the Soviets did have a very ambitious mapping operation going on during the cold war - often with interesting detail.

Some links that might be useful:
http://kart.finn.no/ (covers Norway).

National Land Survey of Finland:

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/k...u.html?lang=en

Zoom in on the part you want - extreme detail, it will give you all the terrain features you could reasonably want along with the name of every hill, lake, stream or village...
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

[/quote]

Well, the Soviets did have a very ambitious mapping operation going on during the cold war - often with interesting detail.

Some links that might be useful:
http://kart.finn.no/ (covers Norway).

National Land Survey of Finland:

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/k...u.html?lang=en

Zoom in on the part you want - extreme detail, it will give you all the terrain features you could reasonably want along with the name of every hill, lake, stream or village...[/quote]

THANK YOU! The kart.finn.no site is exactly what I need. They have sat coverage for areas google earth didn't. I can even see the barracks at Overbygd!

Grant1
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:41 PM

Lieutenant General

I now have a testable version of the scenario ready.
While it's playable I'm sure there will be problems encountered, if for no other reason then since I made the damn thing so I know how to best delay/disrupt the Soviet advance so their main assault while still formidable just doesn't quite manage to break the defense.

Also due to the problems mech infantry has with dismounting I have some mech units "appearing" at various places rather than at the map edge and I need another set of eyes to tell me if there are "issues" with an AI formation suddenly materializing out of thin air in sight of a position a player decides to delay from. While I'm fairly certain the places these reinforcement are appearing shouldn't be in line-of-sight it's hard for me as the scenario designer to be sure.

Lastly, this is a BIG scenario, I could use feedback on the overall length as many "defend" scenarios are a bit too short/long and you wind up wondering if you could have held another three turns or conversely you spend a few turns getting dribbled to frustration by bits and pieces if AI units when it's clear the victory was achieved a few turns ago.

Any guinea pig(s) out there that want to give it a try so I can polish it up for general release?
Send me an private message and I'll send you a copy of the scenario.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Cuban Crisis - Noraway

Date: October 27, 1962

Battle Type: Soviet Union assault vs USMC/Norwegian defend

In an attempt to gain something to negotiate away in return for missiles in Cuba the Soviets have ordered the mobilization of the Warsaw Pact!
NATO and Pact forces face off in central Europe, but neither side wants hostilities in this region.
In Norway however the Soviets feel limited hostilities confined to northern Norway will gain them a trading card they can return for being allowed to place missiles in Cuba. After all, you can always blame a rogue commander and have him shot before things get totally out of hand!

Designed to be played as the Norwegian/USMC.
This is a BIG and LONG battle.
Possibly suitable for two-player IF the Soviet player has not played/seen the Norwegian/USMC forces and positions.

####################
As always constructive feedback is welcome.
####################
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scenario_355.zip (201.0 KB, 67 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Lieutenant General

OOPS!

Attached is a revised scenario.
I forgot to reset the facing of the Norwegian/USMC fortifications after I revised the Soviet forces.

My apologies.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scenario_355.zip (201.0 KB, 74 views)

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:13 AM

Private

centurion77 is on a distinguished road

I get a "failed to load saved game" message after installing.
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM

Lieutenant General

This is not a saved game, it's a scenario.