Notices

Old September 10th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,713 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MBT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuke99 View Post
I have heard recently experienced tank officers who have grave concerns about situational awareness in a crewed armoured vehicle that depends entirely on screens (ie, you cannot stick your head up and look around) so I would imagine that a remote controlled vehicle has got to be even worse.
OTOH remotely controled vehicles may be handled more aggressively in combat situations, doing things a crewed vehicle might not simply because the remote crews a$$ isn't out there hanging in the breeze and sometimes aggressive action is what tips the balance....or get you killed but if your ten miles back.....c'est la guerre ..... different story than actually being there....

Now imagine these being employed with dedicated armed Drone support.......that makes finding that control vehicle a top priority

Don

Last edited by DRG; September 10th, 2016 at 07:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old September 11th, 2016, 12:31 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the world of jaming, however I would expect suspect even if jammed it would switch to a remote sentry program & fire at anything it detects.
As a recon/early warning tool makes sense it can either shoot & scoot or hang in their hopefully unobserved for longer because you dont have to worry about saving your bacon.
Leading an assault do you ignore it so as not to give the game away or take it out. If the former it might now gather valubable information on your positions in its last moments.
I would relay the info from a company of these to a second vehicle/location with a high ranking officer & links to at least ground & artillery units.
An intresting option for some terrain would be small fast vehicle, keep it light just sensors armor vs small arms & something like Trophy for bigger threats. Combined with drones or fit something like a GL that fires cameras on parachutes & it might be deemed cost effective.
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:45 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,239 Times in 927 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

My guys that normally and generally are the first to report many new weapons platforms got a little behind on the next however they've done some comparisons of the next versus other systems which allows for some further perspective on the topic.
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/leopard_2pl.htm

But what I keyed on is this - "However despite all improvements the Polish Leopard 2PL is not as capable as the upgraded Leopard 2A7 upgraded by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann, which entered service with the German Army in 2014. The Leopard 2PL looses to Leopard 2A7 in the key areas of protection, firepower, accuracy, and onboard electronic systems."

We debated it and now I think it should be fully integrated into the game for access by the AI. The 2014 date is consistent with about the three or four refs. I found concerning whether or not the LEO 2A7 was serving in the German Army. I believe based on what I had then that it appears that they were operating around 35-50 units. The tanks are assigned to the 2nd Company, 203rd Armor Battalion in Augustdorf, Germany.

So bottomline they've updated the picture and now have filled in the "Entered Service" with 2014 which wasn't done in the past for this tank from this site.
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/leopard_2a7.htm

Also...

http://tanknutdave.com/the-german-leopard-2-series/
https://warisboring.com/germany-stil...4f2#.8rz47v9m0
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...al-with-canada
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...h-leo2-a7.html

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old September 11th, 2016, 03:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Some LEO 2A7 photos and more...
http://tank-masters.de/?m=201506

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Why I don't jump off things or jump aboard the equipment express...

1. Off things you could twist and or break an ankle. If high enough you might manage to kill yourself.

2. Though much safer, by jumping off and committing to soon on a piece of equipment you might embarrass yourself and and potentially cause rework literally years after the fact. Personally for me that would probably fall in with the ARJUN MK II. and to a lesser extent the ARJUN. I'm not talking about delays caused manufacturing and or technical issues, we have no control over that.

No I'm talking about aesthetics/appearance and equipment. I offer the following, these articles are one year apart and what I see in aesthetics/appearance is the tank has a subtle different different look in the newer article and I'm sure it'll change again in it's final production form, however, the newer (ref./article) indicates to me that the tank is probably slightly better protected.

As to equipment that's a little more "tricky" but I'll give it a shot. In the first ref on the turret it appears (From your perspective.) that on the Left front and rear corners and if you look closely to the right rear corner are mounted what I believe are APS mounts. Also you can see the smoke grenade launchers are extended from the back left (And I'm sure the right side also.) corner as well. Though subtle, it's really a non-starter as the tank in question will have a hunter-killer feature so the Commanders sight is most likely just lowered.

Now to the newer/or 2nd ref. the turret design looks different, no APS mounts, and if you look at the back of the recessed end of the turret that's either a recessed bank of smoke grenade launchers or an APS launcher. My guess is smoke grenade launcher. Why? Because the German Army is still accessing the need for and testing various options for their own armor now. And Rheinmetall Landsysteme GmbH is doing the design and cooperative work to make this tank a reality for the country involved. Poland is also looking into an APS option but none have selected to date even for testing yet..

Judge for yourselves...
http://www.defence24.com/261471,rhei...l-cooperation#
http://www.armyrecognition.com/mspo_...prototype.html

Again why I don't jump off high places and onto new equipment if I can avoid it.

Regards,
Pat

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

http://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/e...land/index.php

Rosy_L – Rapid Obscuring System

The unique 40mm Rosy_L smoke protection system offers light military and civilian vehicles protection from unexpected attacks, e.g. during patrols or when travelling in convoys. Unlike the conventional smoke protection systems in use, Rosy_L is able to generate dynamic smoke screens as well as spontaneous, large-area and multispectral interruption of the line of sight (LOS). Moreover, its multimission capability represents a sure defence against stream and wave attacks. Due to its integrated IR jamming and decoying capabilities, Rosy_L effectively counters all TV-, EO-, IR-, IIR-, laser- and SACLOS-guided weapons. Rosy_L comprises a basic system with a control device and one to four ROSY launchers per vehicle. By means of a one-click adapter, the system can be quickly mounted to the vehicle without tools, and just as quickly removed and stowed.
The latest version of Rosy is the modular Rosy_Mod. It is designed for small weapon stations and light vehicles of the kind used by special operations forces. Rosy_Mod is integrated directly into the vehicle without a surface-mounted launcher, thus making it undetectable.

..lots of new ideas for smoke
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road

The limits on these type of smoke systems, and active missile defense systems, is how many smoke and/or anti missile rounds can be carried?

Jamming has the advantage of avoiding that limitation, as would area smoke rounds from artillery, but then your own side needs to see too...
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:12 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

For the most part US vehicles use an 8-tube 40mm launcher for smoke and carry two reloads.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road

In the British Army Challanger 2 MBT's carry 2 x 5 smoke grenade launchers and Warrior IFV's, at the moment, 2 x 4 smoke grenade launchers. The new Ajax scout carries 2 x 8.
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
In the British Army Challanger 2 MBT's carry 2 x 5 smoke grenade launchers and Warrior IFV's, at the moment, 2 x 4 smoke grenade launchers..
which in game terms is 2 smokescreens which is what they get

Quote:
The new Ajax scout carries 2 x 8.
and the Ajax gets 2 additional VIRSS so in essence gets 4 smokescreens