.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Signs and Portents

Today all the high priests of Mictlan were gathered and I tasked them with determining the future course of this great nation. After consulting the entrails of many, many sacrifices (just goats and chickens this time, dont worry!) a path became clear! I have decided to mass-accept all current treaties that nations had with the previous Mict player in order to honor the current diplomatic situation of the game.

However, in order to give myself the freedom to play Mict as I see fit, I will be imposing a 10-turn duration on all agreements. So, as of turn 65, all current agreements will dissolve. By that point, I am sure I will have talked with all interested parties and signed or resigned a variety of treaties that I can actually have a say on.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pangea Seems to Be Smoking Its Own Undead Weed

for some reason, the Rigor Mortis script never happened; that would have shortened the clock I was depending on for that battle. none-the-less, I was favored by fortune, and Pythium just couldn't quite reach the backfield and squash everyone before we all passed out from fatigue.

the unit scripted to cast Rigor Mortis skipped the Power of the Spheres that was scripted to happen first, meaning he used too many gems to be able to cast Life After Death, and didn't have enough for Rigor Mortis. I wish the game would do things in the order I tell it to. At least LAD and the other battlefield fatigue spells got off, that's what I was depending on.

I also got a few undead priest mages out of it who don't have to worry about old age and can reanimate. Bonus!!! Unfortunately they have so many afflictions as to be useless. Still fun.

EDIT:
and thanks for the congratulations, but I really did get lucky. About halfway through watching the replay, I was glued to the screen to see just how I managed to win. Everyone was fleeing and Pythium was still advancing; it was quite a sight to watch three commanders skelly spamming in and out of consciousness, the little skeletons walking up and getting a few hits in on an unconscious Hydra, before one awoke just long enough to kill all the skeletons, who would be resummoned a turn or two later. I can't believe I managed to win.

And a battle well fought to Pythium, we've been skirmishing around this province for a year now. They're advancing about 20 more Hydras towards this position now though, so the battle ain't over yet.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Sergeant

Firewalker is on a distinguished road

Wow, I should have tried Mass Flight sooner. I never realized it covered most of an army with a single casting. What fun to watch.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM

General

I happened to get lucky and see the battle involving Mass Flight. That was pretty impressive, yeah. However, I have seen some remarkably stupid things happen with it also. One time I cast it and literally my entire army sat around "flying" trying to mob a single air elemental while the rest of the battle raged around them.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Sergeant

It did make casting evo spells a bit self-defeating, with both armies mixed together like that. I think I killed half of my casualties myself.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I wish I had the patience to play SP to try out some of these spells, but I get bored around turn ~20 so end up doing my experimenting (or more often, getting experimented on) in MP, sometimes with disastrous results.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Corporal

spacht is on a distinguished road

Yep, that Mass flight was a nice counter to my mage-heavy army. This is the first MP game where i managed to survive into the late game, so i'm sailing in unknown waters here. But all these humiliating defeats make for a great learning experience. So please continue bashing in my head, don't hold back
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM

General

Quote:
DonCorazon said:
I wish I had the patience to play SP to try out some of these spells, but I get bored around turn ~20 so end up doing my experimenting (or more often, getting experimented on) in MP, sometimes with disastrous results.
DC, the trick to testing things out efficiently is modding. Mod the spells you want to use down to research level 0 so they will be immediately available on turn 1. Then start a game with that mod and the nation/age you are playing. For summoning spells you can even mod down the gem cost to 1 (i dont like to do that for battlefield spells since it doesnt give you an accurate fatigue result).

And then you can change this mod on the fly as your game progresses. So if there is some new spell you need to test, you just add it to the mod, open up dom3 and then play the game. On the next turn it should update, I think.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Masochistic Marignon

I am in the same boat, when it comes to learning. I was beginning to think Water/Earth/Astral magic just wasn't going to win against Fire/Earth/Astral. The air/astral wild card certainly helps -- otherwise Bandar/Patala ends up outgunned as the game goes on.

My surprise is that your SCs just aren't helping you as well as they should. But those fliers just can't be killed! They fly away like little butterflies at the end. I need a better net.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Corporal

hoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spacht said:
So please continue bashing in my head, don't hold back

Your tactics has been quite good, but your strategy needs some work. You put a beating on us both in some battles but didn't pursue your advantage. When you win a big victory, that's your time to get on the offensive. You should have hammered Patala when you had the chance instead of letting him regroup and attack you again and again until he gets it right. Defense doesn't win in this game.

When facing 2 opponents, you gotta knock one out early otherwise you'll eventually be ground down. I think your best strat would have been to use your big northern army to rampage through Patala's land even while losing ground to Bogarus (me). I'm not sure Patala could have stopped you and you would have all but knocked him out while I'm not sure how much you would have lost to me. Your western most fort for sure, but doubtful I could have taken your capitol in time.

This game is interesting b/c I've never played a blood nation before. Was a lark b/c I wanted to play with Babi, but the stupid mod doesn't let me have any heroes. so my luck 3, turmoil was just dumb.