.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Betelgeuse 2 - Let's Try This Again! - SA CBM game for Blood Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Random wandering commentary:
Shahrivar doesn't have much water, but what water it does have retains the use of sailing. Just check out how few ways there are to cross north south, and where sailing lets you cut around features on that lake. It is more useful than it at first appears. I mean, its not the best map for sailing ever, but what is?

I'd recommend deleting all the pre-set sites from the map. Even the version you're using (if its the same as for landlubber) has a large number of pre-set sites, many of which are rather nice. (ie, 3+ gems, etc...). If you don't, I recommend every player learn how to read a .map file, Edi's DB, and figure out which sites are preset, where they are, and what they do.
More random commentary:
The fixed sites quite readable and posted here. The #setland number is the province and you can look up the #knownfeature here. Also Shahrivar has a nice graphical representation of these sites. I think it is worth keeping the sites in (the Sombre/Burnsaber version) as they then have strategic value. Shahrivar is a very beautiful map IMO. Shahrivar is not very well balanced geographically. Starting in the north east and central east of the map often results in being the only start in a canyon bordered by mountains/water. Most of the rest of the map is one big plain. In two MP games I've been in playing on this map I've gotten a great start and a lousy start. Land of Legends has great balance geographically (WoG/WoS-ish), but needs fixed starts. The maps are also different sizes. At current subscription the provinces per nation in Shahrivar would be ~16/nation and Land of Legends would be ~11/nation. I would be delighted to play on Shahrivar again.
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Betelgeuse 2 - Let's Try This Again! - SA CBM game for Blood Nations

Ah. I would have suggested the version I made for Tourmaline (no preset magic sites, no indies, preset starts with an attempt to make the starts as balanced as possible) but my version only has room for 10 players. You could fit an 11th player in the water, but I removed all water starts so it would take some very minor effort to fix that. Unfortunately, you guys don't have a water nation, so that wouldn't quite work for your game.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Betelgeuse 2 - Still Accepting Pretenders - SA CBM game for Blood Nations

Pretenders?
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Betelgeuse 2 - Still Accepting Pretenders - SA CBM game for Blood Nations

Yay! Only one more pretender to go. Gath is missing. Let's see, who's Gath? militarist is ... Oh my! - Wrana, you didn't?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:23 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Yay! Only one more pretender to go. Gath is missing. Let's see, who's Gath? militarist is ... Oh my! - Wrana, you didn't?
Not yet.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM

Sergeant

Alpine Joe is on a distinguished road

I downloaded both the map linked from the OP and from llamaserver. I put both in the mods folder, but when I try to fire up the turn, it says I am missing sharivar_som.tga. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone could link to the map we are using for me?

edit: nevermind. I just renamed the TGA file, apparently it was missing the underscore.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

may I have a list of players locations? I have only half of them marked on my map, don't know why and where are my nneigbours.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarist View Post
may I have a list of players locations? I have only half of them marked on my map, don't know why and where are my nneigbours.
I'm out in left field here.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Are we really gonna have 2 stales on turn 2?
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

I still need a players locations. I don't know where to go for the closest handshake. We are not in equally informed positions