.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sir_Dr_D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nominate the most useless spell here!

I don't have a vote yet to the most useless spell. There is more and more spells all the time that I think are useless but then I find a use for.

Touch spells generally aren't usefull, and I have never tried using them, but they could help you against an assination attempt or in the arena. Once I forgot to script my pretender. He randommly changed between moving, attacking, and casting spells. So the effect was he was moving forward, and casting spells like freezing touch. The damge from that spell was a lot.

And could some of those healing spells not be used when you are expecting long range poison attacks. Or you cast the battlefield spell that has a chance to poison everybody, and you have mages scripted amonst your archers to continuosly heal.
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Corporal

danm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker mumbled:

"fanboi"

tee hee

(arn't we all tho? i don't feel like this thread is trashing the devs or game at all, personallly)
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, I think you and I have different impressions of the forum, in general. I come here assuming that a minority of the people who purchase the game actually browse the forums, and those that do are all fanboys; that's why we're here. So, I guess I'm bold about the way I word things because I know nobody is going to take it personally, and it certainly isn't going to force them to enjoy the game less. You might be taking it personally, I guess, but you have to admit that nothing I say is manipulating (intended or not) you to enjoy the game less. Further, I have not seen anyone state they will not be buying the game because of things they've read on these forums. However, since you represent the officials here, let me see if I can change the thread title to remove any suspicion.

Again, it goes without saying, everyone in this joint is nuts about this game. Gamers know that criticism = love. As an example, a PC game that I don't like is Age of Empires 3. You will never see me criticizing that game; it sucks and I don't care to waste my energy/time trying to figure out why.

@Dedas
Sir, stop derailing this thread, please. You are doing yourself a disfavor by not properly threading your own discussion, because people need to know where to look for it.
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

What about Reanimation?

5 death gems for a handful of skellingtons? That's unpossible!
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Sorry for that, BigJMoney.
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

@foodstamp

You nominated Dragon Master. I'm curious as to why you think it is the most underpowered in the game, because you didn't write why!

=$=
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Rule number one

@vedalkenbear

Do a favor and choose one out of those 90%. It might deserve nomination.

@PvK
I'm not sure I get your drift. You aren't supposed to comment on others opinions, but if someone has already listed a spell, you can most certainly state that spell as also being your pick, and your opinions on it.

=$=
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nominate your \"Tiny Tim\" spell here!

I cant really think of a spell. But I will admit that Im disappointed with "the Exploding Amulet". I really wanted to use Harpy scouts as kamikazes against enemy mages.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Corporal

Nix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dedas said:
I tried to use Eagle king and shockwave and it worked very well in early expansion.

Script: airshield/attack one turn/shockwave/attack one turn/shockwave/cast spells.

The Eagle King is actually a very good combat mage as he got armor, awe and high defense. If you use him in a standard bombardment fashion he will quickly build up fatigue due to his armor and with ranged spells costing more fatigue. So to use him most effectively as such you have to exchange his armor for something else. Pretty costly.

To ensure his safety I built 5-10 Tempest Warriors (75% shock resistance) set on guard commander.

After a couple of turns I had 5 Eagle Kings just charging in and obliterating everything.

After more experimenting I found out that they of course could forge themselves an amulet of missile protection (const2) each, eliminating the use for air shield spell. So I rapidly exchanged it for charge body; that worked exceptionally well. If I wanted I could also let them forge weightless tower shields getting their defense up to 22, and with all the experience they gathered from all the kills, they now had a cool 24 defense.
The forging is not needed of course, but it helps as after a while you want to go after bigger armies without backup. And air gems is not a problem for Caelum.

Note the minimal research and that I had no losses. The stakes are high of course as each mage cost 400 gold. But if you do it right and choose your targets carefully it will work. Try it yourself, there are plenty of more to learn from this winged dude.

Next up, another combat mage.
You can do it early-game with a Virtue pretender as well. I like to go with a dormant A9 high-dominion Virtue - it wakes up around the same time you get to Evoc 2 and you can get to the point right away. Plus, the Virtue has such great movement that you can fly around enemy domains causing havoc as they likely won't have sufficient defenses at that point in the game.
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Hmm, Blood spell? Lessee....

Oh, let's try Harm?
Leeching Touch falls under the 'touch attack therefore bad' heading.
Hell Power just does not look worth it, though I can see a few niche uses.

Those are the most egregious contenders. I think the +Str spells are also pretty much crap.