War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: A Nuclear North Korea

Quote:
Ludd said:
My apologies for the lack of logic, poor English skills, ill-constructed "sound bite" and so-on. I do the best I can.

To be honest,further discussion in the face of such hostility seems pointless.
Oh, please.

First, no need to apologise.

Second, if I'd known english wasn't your native tongue, I'd have been quite a bit less harsh. *I* will apologise for that.

Third, I did not attack you personally. I attacked your statement. As my catholic friends say, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

There is no hostility toward you here. I did express scorn for what you appeared to be saying. But that's not the same thing.

30 years ago, at the age of 17, I lived and worked in the city of London. Over and over, I had this exchange with brits and other europeans -

Them: "So, are you Canadian?"
Me: "Ah, no, actually, I'm American."
Them: "F***ing Americans"

Now that, my friend, is hostility. Unearned, unwarranted, unjustified hostility.

Oh, there were reasons then, just as there are reasons now.

Then it was the aftermath of the war in southeast asia, during which we Americans were regularly vilified and excoriated in the european press.

Today, it's Iraq, and we are being regularly vilified and excoriated in the european press...

As Howard Cosell said, "It's like deja vu all over again!"

I enjoy the company of european people. I enjoy their foods and wines. I respect their sometimes superior and always different ways of doing things.

But as for their political opinions, well, yeah, pardon me while I try to look like someone who gives a damn
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Possum said:
Well...it's good to know they like Canadians

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Sergeant

Barnacle Bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Well...it's good to know they like Canadians
I think it's more a matter of nobody feeling threatened by the Canadians. You know, we got Rambo & John Wayne & Clint Eastwood, whereas you got Dudley Do-Right and the McKenzie Brothers
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Corporal

Ludd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Possum said:
Quote:
Ludd said:
My apologies for the lack of logic, poor English skills, ill-constructed "sound bite" and so-on. I do the best I can.

To be honest,further discussion in the face of such hostility seems pointless.
Oh, please.

First, no need to apologise.

Second, if I'd known english wasn't your native tongue, I'd have been quite a bit less harsh. *I* will apologise for that.

Third, I did not attack you personally. I attacked your statement. As my catholic friends say, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

There is no hostility toward you here. I did express scorn for what you appeared to be saying. But that's not the same thing.

30 years ago, at the age of 17, I lived and worked in the city of London. Over and over, I had this exchange with brits and other europeans -

Now that, my friend, is hostility. Unearned, unwarranted, unjustified hostility.

Oh, there were reasons then, just as there are reasons now.

Then it was the aftermath of the war in southeast asia, during which we Americans were regularly vilified and excoriated in the european press.

Today, it's Iraq, and we are being regularly vilified and excoriated in the european press...

As Howard Cosell said, "It's like deja vu all over again!"

I enjoy the company of european people. I enjoy their foods and wines. I respect their sometimes superior and always different ways of doing things.

But as for their political opinions, well, yeah, pardon me while I try to look like someone who gives a damn
When I first read your post I did think you were attacking me personally, especially my poor English skills. English is my first language-I am just not too good at writing it.

I had no intention of being anti-American. I just thought a view from the English ‘left’ would be of some interest. I tend to be centrist-right when it comes to politics.

But I must confess to being English though. If it helps, my wife is American and we do spend most of our vacations in New England.

I am an Englishman with Canadian citizenship married to an American whose background is Irish and French. I have to like everybody.

My wife, who read your post, did mutter something about wanting to cut off more than an ear. You will have to excuse her though, she’s from New Jersey.

And to RonGianti and Atrocities, Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words.

Now, back to the problem of North Korea…
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road

Oh [censored], I surrender!

Just please don't sic your "Joizy" wife on me, anything but that!
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Keep it polite please. No personal attacks are called for in an open discussion. Please check the dark sarcasim at the door. Witty Sarcasim is ok, but please keep it neutral and not personal. THanks.
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Corporal

Ludd is on a distinguished road

No offense was meant by me, and none was taken.

I thought it was funny.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:01 AM

General

Quote:
Barnacle Bill said:
I think it's more a matter of nobody feeling threatened by the Canadians.
Muahaha, our evil plan is succeeding! You'll never see it coming!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Sergeant

Barnacle Bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Quote:
Barnacle Bill said:
I think it's more a matter of nobody feeling threatened by the Canadians.
Muahaha, our evil plan is succeeding! You'll never see it coming!
Well, Bob & Doug did demonstrate an extended ability to survive underwater using beer bottles - no doubt quite useful for special ops infiltrations.
Old October 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM

General

No idea who those guys are.