.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 1.41

Poopsi - I think so, yes. The versions labelled 1.41b, 1.41c etc are in fact confusingly by chrispedersen. 1.41 is QM's latest version.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

So, is there any chance control will revert back to normal in CB?

Amongst other things, ape nations are simply castrated by a 0-gems, 1S Control spell; take monkey summons away from them and they are left with low-quality troops and mighty monkey PD (tm).
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM

First Lieutenant

Just realized Control is now a 0-pearls, S3 spell.

Still sucks to be magic beings reliant or use golems against a free Control. Now there will be less stupid deaths amongst raiding Golems encountering a lizard Shaman, but still its not hard to get an S3 communion with just S1 mages and charm all magic being thugs and SCs on the battlefield.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Isn't control mr negates? I would think a golem would be pretty damn hard to control
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

If your opponent has good astral, I think magic duel is a much worse plight for you then control spam for the golems.

There's no resistance roll for duel.

Jazzepi
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
You have a point that the servant of the oracles doesn't have a lot of use as is... a d/e random might even things out.

As for bone grinding, I must admit I hadn't anticipated that being a problem. One doesn't usually have that high of death mages lying about without a script, and I would have thought the very high fatigue would discourage AI use in any case. If it's a common problem though, I could certainly change it back.
I'm fighting Executor's leftover AI Sauromatian army in turn 80 of World in Crisis, and an AI D7 witch king killed himself and his vampire army with a couple Bone Grindings (he wasn't carrying gems). He probably would have been much better off spamming Disintegrate. The AI really likes Bone Grinding if it can manage to cast it, even when it's up against an army of high-HP thugs and SCs where no-one has MR less than 18.
I can confirm this is true. I played in a game with Ermor, and I had something like 4 thousand troops on the screen, and the r'yleh player had it setup to cast the undead enslave spell. The caster who had been buffed by the communion just cast bone grinding multiple times instead :P

Jazzepi
Yikes! Do NOT bring this up, please. I'm trying mightily to banish that memory to the depths of my subconciousness.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhazair View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post

I'm fighting Executor's leftover AI Sauromatian army in turn 80 of World in Crisis, and an AI D7 witch king killed himself and his vampire army with a couple Bone Grindings (he wasn't carrying gems). He probably would have been much better off spamming Disintegrate. The AI really likes Bone Grinding if it can manage to cast it, even when it's up against an army of high-HP thugs and SCs where no-one has MR less than 18.
I can confirm this is true. I played in a game with Ermor, and I had something like 4 thousand troops on the screen, and the r'yleh player had it setup to cast the undead enslave spell. The caster who had been buffed by the communion just cast bone grinding multiple times instead :P

Jazzepi
Yikes! Do NOT bring this up, please. I'm trying mightily to banish that memory to the depths of my subconciousness.
That entire game was epic fail on the part of the AI. I lost more than half a dozen battles with HUGE Ermorian armies because my wind mages thought it would be a great idea to cast arrow fend instead of mass flight the latter of which would have flown them over the castle walls in a heartbeat.

Jazzepi
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM

First Lieutenant

Duel requires a pearl and is dangerous for the caster. Control does not and is not.
Furthermore, CB 1.41 doesnt exclude magic duel; it gives yet another option for dealing with magic beings.
Btw, poison golems cant be magic dueled, yet they are very much controllable.
Magic resistance fails surprisingly often in real games. In Querty, I've seen Devils fail MR 25 on the second check or so, twice in a row. So when you have a whole communion of lizard shamans spamming Control, there's a very, very fat chance all your magic beings within melee range will happily desert. Good luck fighting with markatas without supporting thugs.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Setting up big reverse communions of lizard shamans is a pretty big cost in and of itself. I don't know anything about this control problem in CBM though so I definitely can't disagree. It's true that mr checks can be really weird.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM

First Lieutenant

Change lizard shamans in my example to stargazers, star children and whatever cheap national S1 you like - it will get much cheaper.
I just dont understand why Control should be easier to cast than Mind control. Its not like magic beings need yet another single-target counter.

Better buff Unravelling somehow for the purpose of beating massed magic beings; right now its competly useless. Puts 'decay' effect of magic beings (they tend to have 1000+ lifespans, so good luck getting ANY effect with that) and feebleminds your own mages.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kuritza For This Useful Post: