.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old September 10th, 2004, 02:23 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP game; very hard research. Any takers?

I am still left puzzled as to why I was unable to play in Try Something New, even when I had no problem with Yarnspinners. Part of the problem came from Mosehansen (to the best of my knowledge), but I should have still been able to connect to the server by brute forcing my way through (in other words, playing with connect/reconnect several times). Odd.

The current cast of players is as follow:
- Boron: Ermoria
- Deccan: Ulm
- Enforcer: Pangeae
- Vicious Love: Atlantis
- Myself: To be determined later
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Well, at least you have this game.
As scant consolation, you have been avenged, and a profitable vengeance it was, at that.
Am presently debating pros and cons of further exacting vengeance upon the world at large, in response to unhappy childhood and vague, ineffable ennui of undeath.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:57 AM

General

Vicious Lowe: Well, if T'ien Ch'i cannot rule over the world, then do take care of this matter yourself. It would work especially well if you happen to be a theme Ermor; killing all living beings should be an adequate punishment of their refusing to acknowledge the supremacy of T'ien Ch'i.

Boron: My apologises, I had forgotten to answer your post. While Sheap's server may indeed work, En Forcer has stated he cannot play with a regular TCP/IP server, and can only do PBEM.

Besides this:
- Does anyone have a suggestion regarding the map? Cradle may be nice (and is rather small to download), but would perhaps be too small if we are only five players.

- For the deadline, I would suggest something along these lines: the turn around should be of 48 hours (more can be considered if one player requires it), running at more or less the same time. However, if all player files do get in before the end of the first 24 hours, the turn would still run.

The advantages are that the turn will always run at the same hour (well, I will do my best in this field), and it gives a safety margin in case of email problems. The main problems are that the minimal time between turns would be of 24 hours (I wouldn't expect all the turn files to be sent in a matter of a few hours though; but who knows?), and the actual hour where the turn is proceeded may wary depending on real life and Murphy's Law.

Any comments, suggestions or complaints about the way to handle the deadlines?

- Incidentally, I intend to send a confirmation message when I receive your player file, the purpose being to avoid some email related problems (such as a player file lost in the mists of Internet). If you are against this, please do tell me so and I will not send such Messages to you.
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Corporal

En Forcer is on a distinguished road

I was going to suggest a 24 hour turnaround for the first 20 or 25 turns provided everyone agrees. After that, slow to 48 hrs?

Cause we all know how the first 20 turns in an SP game can be cranked out in like 30 minutes...

Fellas?

-ef
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Np Alneyan .

I am fine with your suggestion of 48 hours limit but more likely we have only about 24 hours for the first turns because they will come in rather quick .

With map for 5-6 players old aran might be quite nice .
Desert eye is though probably fairer because it is wraparound so the ones who start in the middle aren't disadvantaged while in Aran if you start in the middle of the map is a disadvantage .
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Corporal

En Forcer is on a distinguished road

Oh and whatever map you guys want is fine with me.

-ef
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Hmm, since this game hasn't started yet I'd like to change nations. I was planning to play Ulm BF, but I'd had a lot of trouble expanding with them early. I think Ulm BF is a little too "advanced" for me. I'll think about what nation to try and post again later. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Oh, and I'm okay with Alneyan hosting and playing. Heh, that's what we did for our SEIV KOTH game as I recall. What are we supposed to do next? E-mail pretender files to Alneyan?
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:54 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

I'd like to play Pythium. I won't play however, if the map is going to be the original Cradle map.
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:23 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

I've decided to take man instead. You can't go wrong with longbows. Once Alneyan says everything is okay I'll e-mail the pretender file.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:27 AM

General

Graeme, is the matter with the original Cradle the problem of having very poor start provinces? The Version I have been using is Zen's modified Cradle (in Yarnspinners), and it fixes such problems if memory serves.

Deccan, if your Pretender will not change (depending on the map for example), feel free to email it to me. Longbows are a good value, but then, I am too fond of archers. And yes, we did the same in a SEIV rated game (outside KOTH, as KOTH games must be played on PBW according to the rules; Asmala might have been a tad suspicious if we had done our game while PBW was offline).