Old January 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problems with version 9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HcK View Post
Hi,

I have a Acer 7560G running Win7, game(s) are installed on a SSD. Since upgrading to 9.1 I have started to get a lot of crashes ("Program has stopped working, Windows is looking for a solution"), as far as I can tell only during the campaign repair screen or the campaign support unit purchase screen (and the map editor opened from there).

I installed the 9.1 by making a copy of the game directory of version 8.0 and installing 9.1 there. Did this for the previous two upgrades, too, and didn't get any crashing problems then.

I do have custom OOBs and use them in the campaign I continued after upgrading to 9.1.

Anybody else get a lot of crashes? Are the custom OOBs to blame?
Actually, I can confirm a crash when using the "Review" button in the campaign repair/upgrade screen.

It has now been fixed for the next release (both games). But meanwhile - don't use the Review function to inspect your troop's data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM

Private

HcK is on a distinguished road

Well, finding and reporting bugs is my Real Life (TM) job, too, but I still didn't twig to the fact that it was the Review function that triggered this.

And as in real life, it's still the dev who, using oftentimes a vague and only peripherally helpful description, has to find the defective code and figure out how to fix it without breaking anything else. Glad if I could help, but kudos to you for nailing it down.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:38 AM

The review function is hardly ever used by anyone (including me!) - or reports would have come in years ago.

It's a function only called from that one point that almost duplicates the normal view unit data function as used in the game, but minus a little bit of functionality. e.g. it had no call to the database information screen for the unit.

Its crashing on displaying the rank and kill badges for some reason, but the code used to do that is absolutely identical to the regular unit view... And those buttons were changed 5+ years back - at least!.

Anyway, I replaced it with a call to the standard view unit data screen and that works fine, and so the semi-duplicate "review" function can be deleted.
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Private

malthaussen is on a distinguished road

An odd little bug turned up in 9.1 tonight. Running under Win 8, full screen, campaign version. In the middle of the battle, quite without warning, there started to be a lag between firing visual effects and sfx, ONLY in the computer's turn, but for both players. Then, when the player's next turn began, there would be no lag, but as soon as the next computer turn started, it lagged again. This carried over from one battle to the next, and persisted despite restarts/reboots. Odd, as it was working fine until that point, odder still it happens only in the computer's turn. Well, actually that isn't true: it also lags on the menu screen when loading/saving or quitting. It applies to other saves as well, and probably to scenarios, although I haven't checked that. Even odder, it has also begun in SPWW2, leading me to think the problem is with my computer, but it certainly is a WTF???

-- Mal

Last edited by malthaussen; February 25th, 2016 at 08:16 PM..
Old February 25th, 2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthaussen View Post
An odd little bug turned up in 9.1 tonight. Running under Win 8, full screen, campaign version. In the middle of the battle, quite without warning, there started to be a lag between firing visual effects and sfx, ONLY in the computer's turn, but for both players. Then, when the player's next turn began, there would be no lag, but as soon as the next computer turn started, it lagged again. This carried over from one battle to the next, and persisted despite restarts/reboots. Odd, as it was working fine until that point, odder still it happens only in the computer's turn. Well, actually that isn't true: it also lags on the menu screen when loading/saving or quitting. It applies to other saves as well, and probably to scenarios, although I haven't checked that. Even odder, it has also begun in SPWW2, leading me to think the problem is with my computer, but it certainly is a WTF???

-- Mal
If it has been working as expected, and now it is not then I would tend to think it is your computer that may have something going on with it.

On some Pcs, in full-screen mode there can be lags with the sound effects. But that would have happened from the start of playing the game when you first got it. That lag in sound in full-screen does not happen in windowed mode.

Try running in windowed mode, at desktop resolution and see if that helps or has no effect. Windowed mode is actually faster than full-screen 256 colour palleted mode on modern PCs, i.e. the reverse of the old way.

Otherwise - what has happened that is new on your computer?. have you installed any new hardware or software?. Any updated e.g. drivers for video cards, anti-virus program definitions or new "extensions"?.

Perhaps it is happily downloading all 200 odds MB of Windows 10 for you (as MS is pushing hard for W10 now). I put the GWX utility on my windows 8.1 box to remove all the annoying Windows 10 nagging - I'll update when I am good and ready. (As and when W10 can handle old-style windows help files, then I'll update, as the Borland Builder IDE is pants without working help file documentation. The IDE works fine, but having to use Google to find online help instead of it just being there on F1 sucks).

Other than that - maybe a problem with your RAM, either faulty chips, or a memory stick that is coming loose.
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The review function is hardly ever used by anyone (including me!) - or reports would have come in years ago.
Anyway, I replaced it with a call to the standard view unit data screen and that works fine, and so the semi-duplicate "review" function can be deleted.
I DO use the Review screen. In a campaign you often have 2 similarly equipped units with very different exp/morale - The review screen ensures you are upgrading / changing the right one.

I have never had any of the problems described with it.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road

Same, I'm very selective about which units get repairs/upgrades and sometimes I have to determine if a tank is merely on the brink of destruction (1 crew member left) or totally wasted, and you can't always tell by points to repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiking For This Useful Post: