World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Quote:
[b]

About SE:IV... I dunno why people have mentioned turns taking hours. So far I'm taking only a few minutes per turn... simple as checking that my research hasn't run out, designing a couple new ships, and going through my fleet/planet screens to make sure all my ships have orders and all my colony ships are moving... I wonder if joining five games will eat into my time later and it will take five hours for all five turns lol... anyway, I've made most of my "strategies" in my head in my "spare" eg when I'm supposed to be studying or concentrating on frying chicken spare time lol... (don't know if you can call them "strategies", but I was pretty proud when I figured out you could put a planetary napalm on a colony ship and surprise people lol)Anyway the past paragraph was OT so ignore =)
I have a question for you. How long has your longest game gone for?. When starting it takes about 30 seconds to do the turn, but obviouslly gets longer the larger your empire. Some of us may be perfectionists who must make sure of everything each turn (and the latest feature to save during a turn is in my mind the greatest added). When you have 200 planets and 400 ships it takes at least an hour to check every planet and allocate the most effcient work. Transports must be moved from system to system topping up initial colonies etc. I only started to do well when I was prepared to micro-manage everything.

Edit: why is this all bold
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Corporal

Antonin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ed Kolis said:
A few players will be insiders, a few will be selected from the Race to SE5 tournament, and the rest will be chosen by lottery, Last I heard.
So that means the possibility that someone like me can have any involvement in the process is between zero and none. I play SE4 a lot, but my involvement in this forum has been only a matter of stopping by every now and then. I don't even know what the Race to SE5 tournament is. And I don't have much luck with lotteries.

Aaron is probably a very busy fellow. Does he read this thread, or are ideas from this thread passed on to him by those of you who are "insiders"?
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #48
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Sergeant

brianeyci is on a distinguished road

I haven't... ahem finished a game yet. I'm a total newbie lol.

Honestly though. Using the planets screen you can go to each individual planet and allocate queues. I'm guessing some turns would be longer than most... but I see most of the time taken in running simulator tests and designing ships. Using the fleets screen you could direct fleets go go in which direction and whatnot. At most, I see a turn taking 30 min. There is a load queue button, for new planets. There is a send colony ship button. (Does anybody know exactly how this works? Does it always send the closest colony ship?) and 200 ships... I imagine the majority being in one/a few fleets, with a few scout ships and whatever.

Perfectionist or not, after playing around 10 games or so, I'll have this turn thing nailed down =)

Anyway I'll shut my mouth now, until I actually play a complete game (and win). Disregard above post =)
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Antonin, Aaron has added all the ideas from this thread into his master list of ideas for SEV. He does read it and he does record all the good ideas.

Also, your chances of getting on a Beta slot for SEV is just as high as the rest of us here. Alot of times Aaron will choose a beta tester based on their machine so that he can test the game on all platforms and system specs. So when the applications become available fill it out and you will have just as good of a shot as we long time members of this forum do.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:59 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

But your chances of getting on the beta test team for a 'big name' game (err, Homeworld 3, Civ IV, MOO 4 if some miracle delivers the rights to a decent company?) are drastically less. The SE community is tiny compared to the communities for these other games.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
brianeyci said:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ri/review.html

Enough said lol.
That is not a modern game. It came out before SE4 even. :P That, and it is slightly less complex, due to combat being very simplified, with just a handful of stats, and combat being resloved on a unit vs. unit basis...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Randallw said:
Quote:
[b]

About SE:IV... I dunno why people have mentioned turns taking hours. So far I'm taking only a few minutes per turn... simple as checking that my research hasn't run out, designing a couple new ships, and going through my fleet/planet screens to make sure all my ships have orders and all my colony ships are moving... I wonder if joining five games will eat into my time later and it will take five hours for all five turns lol... anyway, I've made most of my "strategies" in my head in my "spare" eg when I'm supposed to be studying or concentrating on frying chicken spare time lol... (don't know if you can call them "strategies", but I was pretty proud when I figured out you could put a planetary napalm on a colony ship and surprise people lol)Anyway the past paragraph was OT so ignore =)
I have a question for you. How long has your longest game gone for?. When starting it takes about 30 seconds to do the turn, but obviouslly gets longer the larger your empire. Some of us may be perfectionists who must make sure of everything each turn (and the latest feature to save during a turn is in my mind the greatest added). When you have 200 planets and 400 ships it takes at least an hour to check every planet and allocate the most effcient work. Transports must be moved from system to system topping up initial colonies etc. I only started to do well when I was prepared to micro-manage everything.

Edit: why is this all bold
I am in a game were I have over 1100 planets and 4500 ships in the fleet. I don't Micro manage and it still takes 3 hours to do a turn. (BTW I don't have the largest fleet) I am not sure how many "MEGA" SEIV games are out there or are played but unmanagable games are a bane in 4X games the larger you get the more you have to be aware of and keep in mind. So with that said
1.at a glance be able to know which systems have Resupply, Recource converters, Empty que Yards, all the other system wide enhancer faclities, and what each system and planet has in storage and what ships/fleets are in system and at the same time see what is in nearby systems.
2. In the ship list be able to return to the Last ship you picked (just like the message screen)
3. Be able to only look at one class of ship at a time
4.bulk faclity orders for planets(choose 10 planets and tell them all to build a Ship yard)
5.Strategy screen that shows the path of a fleet or ship how they get from system to system.

I think there are a few more admin things that can be done just can't remember them. SEIV is a great game can't wait until SEX (Space Empires Ten) When it will be a virtual reality thing and you step into the role of Emperor or Empress.
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
SEIV is a great game can't wait until SEX (Space Empires Ten) When it will be a virtual reality thing and you step into the role of Emperor or Empress.
Virtual reality SEX. Theres a game I'm sure would make a fair bit of money (while getting Malfador sued for false advertising). I could say more but theres only so much inuedo one can handle.

Edit: damn that bold, even my sig is affected.
SJ: Just close the bold tag, or stop quoting bad UBB code!
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is that Gozra seems to have added a bold tag at the beginning of the quote text, but not a closing bold tag.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Corporal

Tanus is on a distinguished road

Quote:

4.bulk faclity orders for planets(choose 10 planets and tell them all to build a Ship yard)

This can already be done. Just go into the "Construction Queues" window (F7), shift-click all the planets/bases you want to build on, then click multi-add. Everything you add to the que here will be added to all of the locations you shift-clicked (they'll be shown with green arrows).

PS. I especially like your #1. Would be very handy to see system wide facilities present in systems. (can already see what systems have resupply and spaceports)

IAI OPS TTS DST SIC IOO INU ESD NQS TCE LUT IUS