This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 21st, 2004, 12:57 AM

Corporal

Tanus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

One thing I'd definitely like to be able to do, is to retrofit by class.

IE. Bring up a retrofit screen, pick a class of ship currently in active service, and be able to retrofit every ship of that class all at once, rather than having to go around to every planet and construction yard to retrofit the ships.

IAI OPS TTS DST SIC IOO INU ESD NQS TCE LUT IUS
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
Well, in that case it might be better to give Psychic, Crystalline traits different weapons that are more appropriate...
The psychic one is most appropriate. It does not work on ships with a master computer. So, it confuses the crew and delays their actions. The crystalline one is fairly weird though...
Keep in mind there are (were) two Versions of basically the same ability that affects reload times - disrupt reload time and increase reload time. The latter might be best for Temporal, while the disrupt reload ability might go well with Psychic.
Old August 21st, 2004, 03:09 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Erm... why would the temporal Version not affect ships with a Master Computer? "Increase Reload Time" type is the one that is stopped by Master Computers. It makes sense for a psychic weapon, which needs crew to affect. "Disrupt Reload Time" affects any ship, Master Computer or no.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Erm... why would the temporal Version not affect ships with a Master Computer? "Increase Reload Time" type is the one that is stopped by Master Computers. It makes sense for a psychic weapon, which needs crew to affect. "Disrupt Reload Time" affects any ship, Master Computer or no.
That's because I'm not specifically talking about SE:IV, but how these abilities might be applied in SE:V. In that case, I think "Increase Reload Time" would be better suited to Temporal technology and so MM can make it affect Master Computers. "Disrupt Reload Time" then can be used to effect ships with crews only as a Psychic technology.

Anyways we should be able to make our own damage types so maybe it won't matter all that much.
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:56 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Why should the names be swapped if it has no other effect?
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
Why should the names be swapped if it has no other effect?
'cause it makes more sense.

I don't care really, my original post on this matter was just that an ability that interferes with reload times goes well with temporal technology. I wasn't actually quoting the SE:IV ability name (and hence characteristics of) as Fyron assumed in his response.
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM

Sergeant

Colonel is on a distinguished road

You guys are still talking about temproal stuff, that was like 6 pages back but anyways i got some new ideas

You all have had this happen to you at least once, ships being abandoned (lack of resourses) anyways why do they disappear i mean they must still be there its not like they are in the ocean and rust got um, i think they should be allowed to be salvaged and drift around one move per turn but not leaveing the system-- (that is if there are still warp points if not then drift everywhere). Also i think if ships early on go out to far away from planets i think there should be X chance they would disappear forever due to lack of communication and primitive populsion system. Also have them be able to be found or randomly pop up when you devolpe more advanced detection technology

Now--Atmospheric Malufunctions---If a ship is orbiting a planet(uninhabited) that has high amounts of ion storms or other things there should be a chance for the ship to crash into the planet for various reasons.
For both ideas
You could have a new tech called salavage which would allow you recover ships in space and more advanced Version of the tech would allow you to recover ships that have crashed into planets

These ideas bring up an intresting idea: recovery of enemy ships (stealing tech) or recovering ally ships for a price

Old August 21st, 2004, 09:56 PM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

Wanted: ability to control AI intel project's queue from ai data file (like Construction_Facility.txt or Construction_vehicles.txt)
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:13 AM

Private

Ryan is on a distinguished road

Suggestions:

1) Last time I played SE:IV G, I built a base which could open and close warp-points, but as I recall, the base required at least one movement point to do any warp-point opening or closing. Perhaps this could be fixed?

2) An interesting addition would be adaptive technology which attunes itself to work better against enemy technologies. An example, adaptive shielding which can eventually completely protect itself against certain frequencies of attacks.

3) A new intel project where an empire could slowly take over another empire covertly. Such as inserting agents into the enemy empire whom will slowly gain in rank and become high commanders.

4) More event flexibility, such as an advanced ship coming from the future to warn your empire about a forthcoming war which will end NOT in your favor, to prepare you. In the background, I'd suggest giving one of the AI's the order to go into a huge militaristic operation against your empire, the breaking point of the war would be random.

5) Spatial anomalies would be nice, such as warp points which periodically open and close, or erratic warp points which randomize their destination, or even warp points which have a small chance every time a vessel goes through of closing forever and severely damaging the passing vessel.

6) Faster AI turn processing never hurts...

Sorry if any of these have been previously mentioned, if I sounded too vague, and/or if I rambled.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:17 AM

Private

hatch3tman is on a distinguished road

OK. 1st I don't play this game, my new roomie does, so forgive my being a newbie and ignorant to the ways of the game. but I thought it would be badass to create a race of ultimate ground warriors of such power that troop transports would be more terrifying than any battleship. "oh my god, what if one of those transports gets through the blockade!" the type of race that doesn't colonise, or research or anything, but just lands troops and takes planets with devastating ferrocity. Unfortunantly it was poitned out to me that in SE4 one must research 2 technologies to get basic troops. wtf. why is it easier to make warships than ground troops? 2001 A Space Oddesey featured the first ground troops during the "dawn of man" bit. anyway. if SE5 let me create a "blugblater beasts of traal" race so that I could viciously stomp people on the ground. I might give it a try.