.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3Minions RandomMaps (again)

Still in consideration for inclusion to these would be:

Wrapped versions using ParadoxHarbingers mapgen. I just dont have the math for using it well. Eventually I will spend some time randomly finding the right settings for each mapsize

Finishing up some ImageMagick routines to create split image maps, temperature zoned maps, parchment looking maps.

Eventually I might include some different .map files for use with each map image. SemiRand, Allied AIs, NI (no indepts), PI (partial indepts), Chaos, named provinces. Or just running the maps thru various programs people have done which add informative comments.

Randomly generated maps from GIMP
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:21 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a way you could run your maps (automated) through the mapeditor tool by this other guy which adds "unique" provinces to the map ?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I think I know the one you mean, and its actually based on SemiRand which is a more extensive program to do the same thing.

That is on the list as a possibility. For now the maps are more of a "starting point" for others to take one they like and do the many things (that included) to make it more interesting than just another random map.

But if you are interested... I do have two maps that are randomized daily. The Aran_Dom map which uses the Aran map that comes with the game is run thru SemiRand daily, and the Poke-in-the-Eye map which uses the Eye map that comes with the game and is Chaoticized daily. Both can be found here....
http://www.dom3minions.com/maps.htm
Feel free to download them and play them. And if you play it enough to start knowing where everything is then just download it again to get a new version.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill try. thanks !
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Corporal

jfp3 is on a distinguished road

Wow....are there some huge ones already made (1k+)? (Sorry I didn't read the whole thread yet)
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

1k+ provinces is what Im famous for.
There are a couple on the maps page, and some randomly generated
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Corporal

jfp3 is on a distinguished road

Amazing. Now I know what single game I will take with me to that Deserted Island :-) Looking forward to learning more about modding.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK the Dueling, Tiny, Small, and Medium sized maps are caught up with the new generating options. Since those are the most preferred sizes I will mention it.

http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomizedMaps.htm

Comments welcome
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK it looks like I will be able to do some updates. I probably wont be starting any full projects but I can go back and update a few sporadically.

So for the last few good days I have been working on the Randomized Maps section again. I recently got the server repaired and since it is running well (knock on virtual wood) Im going to try and reinstate the daily runs to create entirely new libraries of maps. So if you LIKE one, be sure and grab it. DONT link to it while you discuss starting a game with it since the next day it might be gone. If you need to link to it and dont have other options then let me know and I will move it to a safe directory. But its probably safe to download it anyway.

There are now 9 sizes generated using the Dom3 mapgen:
Dueling maps (2*25) 50 provinces
Tiny maps (20*5) 100 provinces
Small maps (20*10) 200 provinces
Medium maps (20*15) 300 provinces
Large maps (20*20) 400 provinces
Huge maps (20*30) 600 provinces
Grand maps (20*50) 1000 provinces
Epic maps (20*60) 1200 provinces
MAXIMUM maps (20*75) 1500 provinces

Within each size there are 6 sections:
01-09 uses the games default settings for everything including colors
10-30 uses my own personal preferences for colors, also sea=20%, farm=20%, and mountain=50% to generate more chokepoints for interesting play
31-40 is the same but uses a semirandom color generator (the colors used are written to the end of the map file in case you want to remember them for use yourself)
41-50 uses a trick to generate a blank template map which can be used by someone to add their own map images

When you are shopping just look for balance. The sizes list plaver-vs-province counts so you can have an idea. Such as.. a Medium map says (20*15) 300 provinces. So 20 players would get 15 provs each which would be a medium sized game.

Personally I like water scattered equally, or in the middle, so that anyone landing on one side or the other doesnt feel unfairly constrained. OR if the land is all in the middle with equal placement of water around it. But such maps are rarely generated, hence my desire for a daily shopping catalog.

I might get around to adding more. Such as the Tower maps which are going over rather well. Or the wrappable maps generated using ParadoxHarbinger's mapgen.

OR I might get around to creating a better directory of the "Keepers". I have a large collection of zips I have grabbed off because I liked the result. I will never get around to touching them up and making them available for download so I probably should make them available so others can.

Id also like to look into adding more info. Such as a land/water count. Its misleading to look at the maps because the mapgen makes water provs bigger than land provs so what looks like too much water really isnt. And maybe also a routine to improve the start/nostart tags so people dont get rotten starts. But Id probably have to ask someone else to do those now, and then work them into the run cycle

ANYWAY, the maps are regenerating. Enjoy
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Responses to some of the private messages Ive gotten....

Too Many Sizes
Thank you for comment. Thank you for considering the community in saying what they want, and in considering the load of my system in generating maps that arent used. However, the logs show differently. The interest between small, medium, large maps is only slightly more than the interests in dueling, tiny, epic, and maximum, etc. Im guessing that is just another way of showing that there actually is a large number of lurking solo players who use this forum.

Not Enough Sizes
I can fully appreciate the interests in maps of 150 provinces as being more "standard". But the randomized maps display is based on the idea of full games of 20 nations. 150 divided 20 ways would be about 7 provs each which would not look right. I understand that most games are more like 8-10. 10 nations would make it 15 provs each or Dom3's idea of a "medium" game.

I had originally thought to leave the 150 map area to the more creative map people to fill since it seems just as preferable to them as it is to the mp players. I do actually have scripts for generating 150 prov maps. I could update that and add it to the daily run. But it would probably be listed separately. Maybe even referrred to as "Standard".

More Wrappables
Totally understandable. The only mapgens I know of that create wrappables are ParadoxHarbinger, or GIMP. And for both there is work needed to bring it up to community standards. I do offer PH's maps on my site
and I might add it to the daily generation. Maybe even work on more sizes for it. But Id like to see more interest in someone taking some and making them more community acceptable.

The best I can do for my generated maps is to add a button which asks "Wrappable?" when you are viewing an individual map. That will tile the map to the screen so you can see how the edges line up. If it seems like its a close match then with very little work it could be made into a wrappable map by someone here.

Colors
OK fine. It is still my server and I happen to like the green plains. But I will make this change for you. I will drop the group of "Parkers Preferences" from 10-30 to just the maps numbered 10-20. And I will increase the more random color selection from 31-40 to being numbers from 21-40. I wont yet increase the random settings though. I played with those a long time to get results that I did not feel were too extreme. I might add a separate directory for truly insane efforts (after all, that fits my personal style) but at the moment Im not sure if there is enough interest to justify the use of resources. I am working on making the "Keepers" directory more useful. When I get it working I might generate some maps and try to find some of those "lava world" or "undead world" to put there. You also might look into the "piecemeal" project. The maps stack rather easily so generating maps in sections with different color schemes then pasting them together has possibilities.

For EVERYONE:
I will do what I can (dont expect things too quick though). For now, here is an example of my script generating a map....
dom3 -T --makemap M_31_20Dec10 --mountpart 50 --farmpart 20 --seapart 20 --mapnoise 3 --mapprov 300 --mapsize 1600 1200 --mapgcol 44 122 19 255 --mapscol 28 95 114 255 --mapbcol 104 182 79 200 --mapsbcol 88 155 174 120

Edit it as you wish, add it to a script or batch file, set it to run as many times as you want and leave it running when you go to bed. In the morning you also will have a full directory of maps to select from. Oh and keep in mind that the colors used in each of the randomly colored ones on my site are written to the end of the .map file in case you see one that you like the colors but not the map itself.

Also, look into Ballbarians excellent mapmaking program which gives a nice interface to the Dom3 map generator.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 20th, 2010 at 11:16 AM..