ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 3rd, 2003, 01:16 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Devnull Mod Gold: updates and discussion

Thanks for the feedback.

Good suggestion, Patowic. I like that, but I have have to think of a way so it doesn't interfere with the existing AI. Haven't given much thought how to do it, yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Puke:
i still play, there are still PBW games using it. I was thinking of starting a new PBW game with it soon.. Keep the legend alive, I say.
Oh, most definitly. I wasn't going to give the impression of abandon the mod...
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:05 AM

Sergeant

Pablo is on a distinguished road

Currently I'm in 2 DNM pbw games and a few at home. And a few at work.
The mod seems to be stable for me. Just 1 thing - add a bit clearer explanation on PD cannons. I mean, write there that these guns cannot target fighters but seekers & mines only. It was a very painful discovery
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

They can't target fighters? I haven't run into enough fighter-using races, it seems. At least, I've distracted them from their fighter research. I'm currently using the mod to build my ultimate quadrant--mapped out warp points, fully improved planets, and fully populated sphereworlds on every star. About 10% of the way there. Of course, I'm keeping a (blockaded) enemy planet around, just as a reminder of what an "enemy" is.

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:32 AM

Sergeant

Krsqk meet the monsters They will keep you busy
Edit: but if you're already populating the sphareworlds maybe it's too late. You should meet them early in the game

[ January 03, 2003, 07:34: Message edited by: Pablo ]
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Oh, I had my one (very short) monster game. I started one or two systems away from them, or maybe both--it was a ten planet start ("Just to build up enough defenses," I said. "Should make sure none of those monster beasties get to me!" I said. Never mind that they can spawn 10 times as many of them. "Of course they won't start near me. You wouldn't do anything like that to meee, right?" *charming smile, followed by sounds of death and destruction*). No monsters in this game, though--I've already subdued and colonized the entire quadrant (including using/colonizing asteroids, clearing nebulae/black holes, and creating stars), and I'm working back through it to spiff up all of my planets.

[ January 03, 2003, 08:02: Message edited by: Krsqk ]

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:50 AM

Sergeant

what's the turn number then?
Old January 4th, 2003, 01:47 AM

Corporal

HEMAN is on a distinguished road

Rollo wrote; Are people still playing DNM? I haven't gotten a lot of feedback after the Last release. Which means: a) the Last Version is running stable with no bugs, or b) it is not getting played.

Im playing this mode 2-3 hours everyday? iTS GREAT , For me its (a).I have a few suggestion,

1)Add more Weapons & Componets from the older DMODE?.Like Missile system re-designed (Small missiles, Armor skipping missiles, shield skipping missiles, Decoy missiles, etc)
Heavy Versions of weapons (rate of fire of 2, bigger range and damage.)Mercinary Commanders available for bases and ships.
Some weapons have better 'to hit' bonus (Torps!)

2)More Ruins , Super atmosphere converter/Super-launch-bay/High level shipyard.

3)Related to monsters, i would like to see there homeworld, so i can bombard it.

4)Related to monsters,Its strange it appears that they create a wormhole in my solar system 3-4 wormholes, all the time, and my system becomes the center of the universe.
So whada ya think of these ideas??.
Old January 4th, 2003, 02:12 AM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

now, i dont think this can be done, because i think we thought about thinking about it before (confused yet?), but heres the regergitated idea anyway:

can we make a tech that is only available through trade / shipcapture + analysis? (i dont think so.)

if so, you can make a monstor scanner that can detect monsters and their homeworld, but you can only research it after caputring a monster ship and analyzing it. or starting on high-tech, of course. but i dont think that can be done normally, because the tech (or its pre-reqs) would always show up in the tech tree, unless it was racial, and if it was racial, then it couldnt be gained through analysis / reverse-engineering.

what you COULD do though, is make it super-expensive, so it would take 100 million research units or something. then the only practical way to gain the tech, wouild be through analysis. unless you run into max-int problems, but i think research costs use long-int. so it should be okay.
Old January 4th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo:
what's the turn number then?
My current turn is 2473.1. My current problem is those pesky events which use my planets to start new empires. *grr*

[Edit--typo--year was off by ~3000 turns ]

[ January 04, 2003, 05:23: Message edited by: Krsqk ]

Old January 7th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Private

Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:
This thread needs a bump for two reasons:
Are people still playing DNM? I haven't gotten a lot of feedback after the Last release. Which means: a) the Last Version is running stable with no bugs, or b) it is not getting played.
It is stable for me. I have played it a lot. It is my favorite mod. The only reason I am not playing it now, is the DYP (Double Your Pleasure) mod for Civ3 sucked me back into Civ3. Once I burn out on Civ3 I know I will be back to SE4Gold and DNM. Thanks for your work.

I play mostly single player. I was having a lot of fun using DNM to create a 'Terra Uber Alles' single player scenario. I call it: "Monsters vs the Galactic Patrol"

First I beefed up the Monsters:
  • Got the Monsters colonizing
  • The first planetary build item is a Weapon Platform that includs a lvl 5 cloak
  • Gave the Monsters a fast atmosphere converter
  • Gave the Monsters a 3000kt attack ship.
  • Tweaked the build queues so the Monsters maintain smooth exponential growth.
The Monsters spread like a plague. As they move forward, planets just disappear! After a while, their ships are everywhere.
Then, for myself, I created the Galactic Patrol (loosely based on EE Smith's GP.) This required a new racial trait (Patrol). I also added a new culture trait (QX). Then I added goodies at the end of most research chains that would kick in if the Patrol trait was present. For example, the end of the 'Null-Space Weapons' research will grant the 'GP Primary' with increased range and a reload rate of 2.

My target is a huge quadrant with lots of AI players including the Monsters and a single human playing the Galactic Patrol.

I am having a lot of fun balancing it. I am trying to make it so you win some of the time if you do not start too close to the Monsters.

It is currently on hold while I wait for:
  • The next Gold patch.
  • Updated DevNull Mod
  • Burning out on the Civ3 DYP mod.
Miles