.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 18th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets II: Mysterio's Revenge, EA, CBM, Game running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
I don't have the time to put into this game that others seem to have. I've got other priorities.
Okay, I must bite this. The premise of this game was something like that the noobs learn from experience of playing against the vets. The most useful thing I am going to teach anyone during this game is this:

Even if we're all playing a strategy game this is a social forum. What you say and how you behave yourself is remembered far longer than whether you manage to beat many opponents.

Acting smug, condescending and throwing stuff like that does nobody any good. Being a game admin requires a thick skin, because people ***** about stuff that can't be affected. And usually correct answer is "Mea culpa, won't happen next time" instead of trying to prove one is correct to the last. Usually one just ends up contradicting himself and all the battles of the egos that result serve no-one.

So, lets keep on playing. I really think that the game setting conversation and the reasons why we are at this situation in-game are things that are better discussed when everyone can openly state what they have done and why, instead of the current war-time fog of war.
Your quite correct, though no one is being smug. What I said is quite true. I enjoy the game, but I don't take it that seriously and barely have time for it. I'm a noob and never claimed to be anything else, I've said it was unintentional if those outside of the game feel otherwise, that is on them. I've said the settings can be discussed later, but I'm not opposed to discussing them now, inevitably we wind up having a long debate about them anyway, especially between me and QM. If the vets have the elusive recipe for a balanced game I'd like to hear it. I do want the game to be larger (in terms of players) as befitting a final showdown.

Noob team:

Ossa (Sauromatia) and Alansmithee(Formoria), please check into the noob forum and coordinate/participate. Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I do intend to make it harder for the vets next game, depending upon what happens here. One way to do that is to go to 3:1. Now tell me, do you really want to give up any advantages you might have? I'd rather think you'd want more (a no first attack rule for the noobs might be good).
I'm fairly sure 3:1 would be too much unless the other settings were truly insane. Personally, if I were to pick settings it would look a lot like the first one, except easy research and normal events.

As has been said though, I guess talk of settings can wait until the game is over. I don't think the current settings are catastrophic or anything, it's just the talk of an even more gigantic game in the OP scared me.
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
I'm fairly sure 3:1 would be too much unless the other settings were truly insane. Personally, if I were to pick settings it would look a lot like the first one, except easy research and normal events.

As has been said though, I guess talk of settings can wait until the game is over. I don't think the current settings are catastrophic or anything, it's just the talk of an even more gigantic game in the OP scared me.
I think we can come to an agreement now and thus save time when the next game begins.

I will insist on two things, that fit my vision and the backstory. Number of players and noob/vet ratio.

24 players, 18 green noobs vs 6 HOF/experienced vets. I'd like 6 noob alternates and 3 vet alternates. I don't think organization will be a prob for the noob team, but I'll probably split the team into two groups based on geography(eastern and western noobs). It will only require a single additional thread on our forum.

You see, Mysterio's dastardly actions have stirred up outrage throughout the countryside. Noobs from every corner of the globe are responding to avenge this outrage.

All other settings including prov/player ratio, map, everything else will be left up to the vets. How does that sound? The vets can tweak everything else to compensate and ensure balance.
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:

All other settings including prov/player ratio, map, everything else will be left up to the vets. How does that sound? The vets can tweak everything else to compensate and ensure balance.
There is only one problem with that... with the odds staked so heavily vs. the vets I think we would be forced to choose a very large map to get it at all balanced. I defiantly want a small prov/player ratio, but the smaller it gets the tougher it gets on outnumbered team. I mean, I guess I'd still rather play a small game where the vets get crushed than a huge one that is just annoying to play, but it would kind of just be a repeat of the first game.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
Quote:

There is only one problem with that... with the odds staked so heavily vs. the vets I think we would be forced to choose a very large map to get it at all balanced. I defiantly want a small prov/player ratio, but the smaller it gets the tougher it gets on outnumbered team. I mean, I guess I'd still rather play a small game where the vets get crushed than a huge one that is just annoying to play, but it would kind of just be a repeat of the first game.
And we don't want a repeat of the first game, do we? So seems like a great compromise to me. I get what I want, you get what you want. Everyone's happy. If you want first choice or any other balancer that's fine with me.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Anyone want to volunteer to post a regular summary of the action and/or stats on the thread to keep our alternates and observers up-to-date? Lingchih?
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

I'd like the summary to come from the noob side. You can take turns, shouldn't be more than few summaries each.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:

And we don't want a repeat of the first game, do we? So seems like a great compromise to me. I get what I want, you get what you want. Everyone's happy. If you want first choice or any other balancer that's fine with me.
I don't think it's what everyone wants- presumably no one wants a game that ends before it even really begins, and I certainly don't want a big map game. With your edict those seem to be the options.
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Sergeant

Lavaere is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Oh hey Lanka, nice attack. I should probably remind you that Neifel Jarls do not run, ever,(at least mine don't), and they are pretty hard to kill. You might want to keep that in mind in the future as you try to put your army back together.
I really though I'd have done alot better in that fight. But between that single battle and a very annoying Caelum. It could be awhile if at all.
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I usually post some crap after every turn anyway Sept. So yeah, I can do that.

I think your vision for the third game is too big. I don't think you'll be able to find the players for it. The number of vets that actually still play is dropping slowly. That's why you have us instead of a full group of hall of famers. You might be able to find 18 noobs for it.

I say go with a smaller game simply for the fact of finding enough players.

I occasionally post something useful.