War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM

BANNED USER

raygun is on a distinguished road
Default question about spotters

According to the v4.0 release notes (#3):
only leaders ( the x0 ) with radios can call arty...x4 unit with a radio it doesn't mean he can contact the artillery only leaders can do that
Does this refer to "spotting" for barrage / bombardment? Does this apply to FO type units?

Secondly, it appears that there can only be one spotter for barrage / bombardment for all artillery, mortar and arial bombardment units.

If that's true, then not all bombardment can be w/in LOS (regardless if there are FO on opposite sides of the theater).
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: question about spotters

Quote:
Does this refer to "spotting" for barrage / bombardment? Does this apply to FO type units?
This sort of question would be easier to test than ask but yes all FOO types including Light Helicopters can call. Also most leaders the x0 can but are not as good as FOOs, there are a few unit types that are not allowed to call it in.

Quote:
Secondly, it appears that there can only be one spotter for barrage / bombardment for all artillery, mortar and arial bombardment units.
You can use as many diffrent units as you like to plot arty opening the bombard screen & ploting their adjustments. If you want to use a diffrent unit to plot some select him & repeat for what he is adjusting calling.
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM

BANNED USER

raygun is on a distinguished road

So a mortar can be spotted by one FO 1, or formation leader 1, and a 122mm can be spotted by FO 2, or formation leader 2.

The trick is not to select the mortar when FO 2 (or formation leader 2) is selected as the spotter. As doing so would change the spotter for fire mission mortar? Or would selecting the specific fire mission for mortar be required to supercede the origional spotter, i.e., if mortar had spotter 1, and I select spotter 2 and then select the mortar would the spotter change automatically, or do I have to physically check the HE fire mission button?

If HE fire mission was selected for both mortar and 122mm, whatever spotter called that mission initially would remain in force despite physically selecting either mortar or 122mm. For example, spotter 1 called the mortar, spotter 2 called the 122mm (both have HE fire mission selected). Now I select spotter three and my Skyraider has no fire mission selected. If I select mortar then spotter 1 remains the spotter for that unit (unless I mess with the firemission), and if I select 122mm spotter 2 remains the spotter for that unit (unless I mess with its fire mission). If I select Skyraider and then select the HE fire mission, spotter 3 becomes the spotter for the Skyraider. If I select no fire mission for Skyraider - it has no spotter - and I have no clue what it would do (probably OP fire?).

If that's how it works, then each respective fire mission can be on opposite ends of theater, but each would be in LOS of their respective spotters. That would be cool and I can definitely use that tactically. I desperately desire to know if I have this correct as LZ-Xray is critical in that regard; indirect fire is less than useful w/out spotter correction.
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Try buying several FOOs & some arty & calling it in to see how it works anybody can plot anything each turn.