Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Evil Mages Mod - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:07 AM

Private

Metalder is on a distinguished road
Default Evil Mages Mod

Has anyone made a mod which uses the independent recrutible units (circle master, conjurer, etc) as the base recruit units? If not, I might be able to make one.
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Evil Mages Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalder View Post
Has anyone made a mod which uses the independent recrutible units (circle master, conjurer, etc) as the base recruit units? If not, I might be able to make one.
Yes, I did. (Well, with some help). It was mostly a proof of concept that it was possible to make a compelling mod nation based solely on units that already existed. I'm not actually sure where it is anymore, it was in response to another thread.

I could probably track down the relevant .dm file and upload it if you want it.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Private

Well, if you want to do that, it might be helpful. Thanks!

And if you don't want to, I'm sure I could always make a mod involving those units and a few mod units.

I was thinking something with Conjurers, Circle Masters, Necromancers, Blood Henge Druids, Blood Guards, Blood Lords, a nerfed version of a succubus as a recruitable (a much weaker flightless seductress), and a few others (bandits? maybe sorcerer unit number 339?) I'm sure I could make it given some time, as I've made very simple mods before.

One idea which might be semi-original is to use the units seen in certain mercenary companies (like Fernando's Footmen) to be the regular recruitable units here.

Last edited by Metalder; May 26th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Added more to text.
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I did a few like that. Mostly in order to quickly and easily fill in the semi-empty nation slots from 72 to 99 for really large games. Or to create duplicate nations so that many people could all play with exactly the same nation in order to challenge each other to prove their skills strictly in strategy. Ive also played abit with using a program to randomly re-assign units that are in the game (abit of extra chaos beyond the chaos programs I already have) but that didnt come out very interesting.

You can see some of that at the MODs link on my site.
www.Dom3Minions.com
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Major General

Les voila. IIRC, I proposed the full nation spec and someone else made the .dm, but i'd have to look up who did that. I hadn't even started modding yet, but they were suitably awesome for having done so.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Azgeth_v0.2.zip (5.4 KB, 83 views)

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:04 AM

Private

First, thank you for all of the answers given so far.

In the interests of being more original, I shall try something different. Is it possible to modify pre-existing units (such as necromancers and conjurers) to have new abilities? I was thinking about enhancing certain units, such as giving all nymph units seduction abilities and giving blood mages an automatic income of one blood slave per turn, as well as some sort of special attacks to necromancers (not sure what they are yet).
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalder View Post
First, thank you for all of the answers given so far.

In the interests of being more original, I shall try something different. Is it possible to modify pre-existing units (such as necromancers and conjurers) to have new abilities? I was thinking about enhancing certain units, such as giving all nymph units seduction abilities and giving blood mages an automatic income of one blood slave per turn, as well as some sort of special attacks to necromancers (not sure what they are yet).
I think you'll find the mod manual answers all these questions, and you should really read it before making a mod nation. Its located in .\dominions\docs.

More relevantly, do you want to change those actual units, or create new units with similar stats and the same graphic. Both are easily accomodated (see mod manual).

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM

Private

I'll look in the mod manual (should have done that all along!)

The goal is to change the actual units with similar stats (but extra abilities) and the same graphic. I guess I'll find out the answers when I dig out that file.

Thanks again.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Les voila. IIRC, I proposed the full nation spec and someone else made the .dm, but i'd have to look up who did that. I hadn't even started modding yet, but they were suitably awesome for having done so.
Thanks FWIW, in case anyone's interested, here was the original thread:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44454

...and here's the link to the post in that thread with that version:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...4&postcount=23

As per the description in that post, it was compatible with CBM 1.6, but since later versions of CBM have radically altered the range of units/weapons/armor etc. that it uses, I have no idea if it would still be compatible.

There are actually a number of "indy unit extension" type mod nations out there. IIRC, there's a few based on uniting the tribals/barbarians, another one based on an amalgam of the amazons. Check the mod list at the top of this subforum (I don't know how up to date that list is, but none of these were terribly recent.)
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix