The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Why are TV studios so stupid?

Why do television studios kill such great shows like Surface and Invasion? I hate that. They give you one season, they end it on a cliff hanger then kill it. WTH. And then they replace it with bs reality shows or comedies with brain dead retards.
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Why are TV studios so stupid?

It's simple. Shows that actually require you to think a little bit cost more to create than "reality" or comedy shows. Most people would rather turn their mind off when in front of the TV; they don't care whether or not what they're watching is interesting, it's just a method of mindlessly passing time.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Which is why some shows are good, such as Stargate SG-1. You can think a little, or you can just turn off your mind and enjoy it. Depends on what you feel like at the moment.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Because they are ran by those brain dead retards you mentioned. The only way they will get the message is through a severe and near leathal beating... constantly in the ratings.

Reality shows ARE NOT WORTH THE VIDEO TAPE THAT THEY ARE RECORDED ON, but unfortunetly they are extremely popular because there are soooooooooooooooo many brain dead retards watching them. Hell lets face it, how much intelligence does it take to figure out that if you eat the worms, you get $10,000? Brain dead retards, or BDR's for short, love these shows because they can figure em out. Of course while the rest of us, non BDR's, think of them as the stupidest thing to hit the air waves since Fonzy Jumped The Shark.

It is really a sobering thought to think that there are far more BDR's in this world, evident by the increasing number of stupid laws, stupid tv, and of course stupid governments that have popped up over the last twenty years, than there are non BDR's.

We have BDR's to thank for the boom in "not my fault" and "I hurty myself on your product" lawsuits. Come on people, if they can sue a company because their product, say a hand held hair dryer, didn't come with a warning advising them not to use their product while actively taking a shower, then you better believe that these illitrate dumb asses are going to want to watch Joe the Milloniar lie to some utterly retarded women every damn week for 13 weeks. "huh huh, Joe is so cool. Duhhhhhh" (Wipe the drewel off of your face you BDR!"

As they sit in their drug indused "good mood" they relate to the averge BDR's plight as either s/he strugges with daily challenge and ultimately when they must face evicition from the island later that night for being the BDR of the day. Hell just look at poor old Richard who is now sitting, broke, and more likely than not *** tighted clamped, in complete fear for his life in a Federal Prison for tax evasion. I wonder if he is going too or has yet sued the Survior produces for not telling him that he had to pay taxes on his million dollar prize? Duhhhhhhhhhhhh da duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

As long as the BDR's are out breading the non BDR's, the future of good television is in dyier peril. Since most things that can kill you if your a BDR have been outlawed, banned, or safety gaurded to the point of uselessness the thinning of the BDR hurd has slowed to the point for which we are now paying the price for.

Time to invent a new product that any one with a shred of common sense will know how to safely use, put it on a new reality show, and then sit back and watch the BDR's drop like flies.
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Because network execs want money. The dumber a show is, the more likely more people will watch it. Thus the more people that watch it means the more advertisers will pay to advertise in those time slots for that show. Shows like Invasion have limited audiences and thus advertisers avoid it because the auddience will reach a specific size and sit there. That means after a while, the audience ignores your ad and won't buy stuff.

That's when the advertisers pull the ad and the network execs don't get money. Then they take their rage out on the show in question and it gets cancelled.

But they aren't stupid, they are money grubbing sons .... you get the idea with no responsibility.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

There's also a downard spiral in how they run the ratings - it's how many people of those checked watched that show at that time compared to other shows at the same time, not the percentage of participants who watched and were home at that time.

So that show that got on at a time of day when everyone who had a job was at work, gets just those who were at home watching TV while everyone was at work. So a show that appeals well to the non-working crowd gets huge ratings for it's time slot.... and then is shipped into prime time, as are a lot of clones of that type of show.

Next year, when everyone's home, there's nothing on that appeals to the crowd that works every day (as all the stuff that appeals to the people who don't is what ended up in prime time) and so they don't watch anything much when they are home.....
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

And I'm paying for cable why?
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

I dont even have cable, no offense but its not worth the 70.00 + $ they want to charge for it. I did have cable when I lived at home with my parents and the only channels I watched were Sci-fi, discovery or the History channel, other then maybe the few good shows scattered across other channels ie Star Trek. That was several years ago as well. Now all your paying for is (no offense to any fans) 18 channels of ESPN, 10 MTV's, 15 womens networks, 40 all news channels all the time. Even the movie channels dont hold any appeal to me now since I can go to my local library and get the movies on DVD anyway. And if they dont have the DVD I want? I can request it and they will get it. I dream of a scene like towards the end of invasion when there pushing all the normals off the dock, lets do that to all the BDR's. We can start with the politicians.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
And I'm paying for cable why?
The same reason why I am paying for satellite TV, for the endless hours of utter useless commericals, infomericals, and sports that I will never watch.
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Sergeant

Yimboli is on a distinguished road

I don't watch TV. I bought a Roland digital piano for less than my friend bought a huge plasma TV for. He also pays per month to sit in front of it and waste away... so basically he's paying more to develop himself less, while I learn a rare skill.

Drop cable and use the money for classes or guitar lessons or something... anything is better than network crap.