.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road
Default Even more questions

Hello everybody. Reasonably new to the forums and I have accumulated a number of questions that have been irking me for a while.

I would be grateful if you veterans could help me.

Say that i attack in the magic phase, and my guy retreats. He have no friendly province to retreat to in the magic phase. However, in the movement phase one of my regular armies capture a neighboring province. My question is: Can he retreat to it?

Second question: Will a elixir of life resurrect a commander outside of battle? Say if he is hit by a seeking arrow? What about disease? Will he be rid of the disease or other afflictions if resurrected?

Third question: In single player, I was fooling around with a queen of elemental water. According to here statline she had encumbrance 0. Despite that she was getting increasing amounts of fatigue in combat. How is this possible?
For reference, she was using the spell quicken self at the time and probably some brand weapon.

Thank in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corinthian For This Useful Post:
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Even more questions

First question: Don't know, sorry. Good question. My guess would be that he'd die.

Second question: Yes, it will work outside of battle. Things like Luck, Air Shield etc work too (air shield is good against Seeking Arrow!).

Third question: Probably some temperature effect (e.g. fighting creatures with cold or heat aura)? Or maybe she is wearing a tiring item liek the flaming helmet (can't remember exact name)? Or perhaps she is occasionally sneakily casting a spell? If there wasn't any funny business going on, a unit with enc 0 should not accumulate fatigue from combat.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
The Following User Says Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

1) Your guy chooses the land to retreat after magic phase but before move phase. So he will die if you have nowhere to retreat at that moment, or he can fight twice if you have a place to retreat that is attacked in move phase.
3) Also berserk state gives fatigue to 0-encs, I learned it hard way with Bane lords equipped with lychantropos amulet long time ago...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimaz For This Useful Post:
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road

The first question is guite interesting I have been playing dom for long time and didn't know the answer yet. So i run quick test for it. If the commander who moves in magic phase don't have a place to retreat before normal moves and combats are resolved he will die. If other magic phase move clears a retreat way for him he will move there.

There are some spells that give fatigue to the target Stellar cardases and ghost grip for example. Many elemental damage spells also make fatigue damage as side effect. Thunderstrike for an example.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExHeretic For This Useful Post:
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to a fairly complete sequence of events in turn processing.
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Turn_resolution

Dom3 is very sequential. Basically, it doesnt tend to back up and rethink anything. So much is decided by the order of processing, which nation is processed first, the ID order of units, etc etc.

It also tends to do very little storage of into between turns which tends to answer many other questions about "why doesnt this work".
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road

Damn ninjas everywhere

In the test that i run i always endet up with dead commander if there were no place to run after magic phase. The actions in movement phase had no effect in the results.

The test i made was cloud trapezing a commander whit retreat order to enemy pd whit no where to retreat. At the same turn i moved one of my normal armies in the next province. Result = Guineapig died when retreating into enemy territory.

I dont know which is more disturbing. Testing this kind of things whit fomoria kings or actually calling them guineapigs? How does it feel to be god?
The Following User Says Thank You to ExHeretic For This Useful Post:
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

1. should die

2. should work, but I am unsure about resurrecting from disease. If it does, there is a good chance for afflictions to be cleared up.

3. yeah, i'm guessing its from some aura of something you are fighting. or her own, if you gave her marble armor and had her cast Breath of Winter
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

Thank you every one. You've all been very helpful.

However, in the spirit of the thread, I do of course have Even More Questions!

Question number four: Sea of ice, how does it work? More precisely: If Sea of Ice is in effect can you order a troop to enter or leave the seas? Even if they can not execute that order? Will units that was given orders during the same turn as Sea of Ice was cast move up/down into water?

The list Gandalf linked to would make me guess that the answer is no to both. However, no to both would create an absurd situation, were an underwater nation could not get out of the water without having a significantly higher astral income than the land nation has water income. This is hard without using clams.

Why? Because in CBM sea of ice only cost 35 gems and the water nation has no way of knowing how many gems the land nation put into the spell. This will Cause him to either spend to many gems or not enough in his dispel attempt.

Well that or teleport. What does you guys think?
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:40 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

4) You cannot enter or leave. I'm not sure about what happens the turn it's cast. Movement happens after casting, so it should block, but it may only stop the orders from being issued.

It's not an absurd situation. Just a frustrating and difficult one.

Teleport/Gateway/Astral Travel get you out. I assume Stygian Paths does too. You can Cloud Trapeze in.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

It stops movement on the turn the spell is cast, including Vanheim's sailing.