.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM

Corporal

Ragnoff is on a distinguished road
Default Dragon Wars - Signups Closed

First, there were Dragons. When the other races first began to notice the world around them, first began to climb up from the muck and the sea and the trees and stones, when they first began to understand the power of magic, dragons were there.

While many other things have happened in history, to the dragons we have already stated the most salient fact, dragons came first. The dragons saw themselves as above all other races and now, with the throne of Pantokrator open, the dragons have naturally decided that one of their number should occupy that throne and shows the divine power of Dragon kind over all others.

The discussions for which of their number should fill it have lasted an eon and reduced the number of contenders significantly. The only problem now is dragons are few in number. There are simply not enough dragons to worship whichever of their number ascends the throne and bring him divine abilities through prayer. The dragons agreed on a contest, as dragons enjoy such things, to decide of the most worthy of the remaining Dragon kind which should ascend into the heavens. The contending dragons will each guide one of the lesser races, and by doing so both gain troops, as dragons enjoy playing with the lives of other mortals, and worship necessary for godhood.

Thus began the Dragon Wars...

For this game all the pretenders are one of the worthy dragons contesting for the throne of Pantokrator. You must take an awake Dragon as your pretender God. The game will use CBM 1.71 and is set in the Middle Age. There will be ample starting area, probably 15 to 20 provinces per player. The Hall of heroes will be set to 15, all other setting standard for MA. The game will be hosted on llamaserver.

The following nations are recommended: Pythium, Shinuyama, Mictlan, Bandar, Arco, C'tis, Caelum and TC. These nations are somewhat balanced with one another, still have some effective strategies even using a Dragon pretender, and have a mix of national troops and/or magical diversity necessary to be playable. You may choose another nation if you like, although Ashdod and Jotunheim are both banned as a would be too difficult for the other nations to deal with in this set up.

Map will be chosen when total number of players are set. As we are starting around the holidays the start may be somewhat erratic as far as regular turns go to accommodate holiday schedules, but once past the holidays we will go 24 hours/48 hours/72 hours with the increase is happening when two or more players have requested them. This is my first attempt at running a game. Either I will serve as moderator or, if someone volunteers, we will have an outside moderator.

I would like to play Shinuyama, other nations are available on a first-come first serve basis.

The main player list and game thread is over on the Dom3 forums at http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...&#entry1241566.

(Copy of player list for reference)
Player List

1) Shinuyama - Ragnoff
2) Ulm - Diceman
3) Agartha - LiteralMinded
4) Pangea - Sephorin
5) Pythium - Blackguard
6) Caelum - Baalz
7) Arco - Ghoul31
8) Tien'Chi - Bann
9) Mictlan - nerozero
10)

Will be capped at 10 players

Note Map will be up in the Dom3 forum version of this thread shortly. Thread is found at http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...0#entry1241566

Last edited by Ragnoff; December 19th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: adding players
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM

Corporal

Sephorin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dragon Wars

Interesting.

Just out of curiosity, would a Carrion Dragon be appropriate? Or do these have to be live dragons?
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM

Corporal

Live Dragons (I actually did not know about the Carrion one, so did not take it into account when looking at parameters)
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:09 AM

Corporal

Sephorin is on a distinguished road

Ah, too bad. If you change your mind and need another player at some point, let me know. I might be willing to take Pangaea with a Carrion Dragon. (not on the approved nations list, though)

Dead dragons demand equal opportunity to be recognized as gods.
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:49 AM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road

I can't select a dragon for some reason. When I selct the green dragon, it just gives me a druid. When I selevt a blue dragon, it gives me a frost father
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road

Dragons can shapechange and have in human Form better magic.
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoul31 View Post
I can't select a dragon for some reason. When I selct the green dragon, it just gives me a druid. When I selevt a blue dragon, it gives me a frost father
That's normal. Dragons can shift between their fighting form and a casting form. So Fire Dragons turn into Archmages (IIRC), Blue Dragons turn into Frost Fathers, Green Dragons turn into Druids and Carrion Dragons turn into vine Pans. It can be done at will, both on the strat map and in combat.

If I'm not mistaken, the fighting form loses 2 magic paths as well as feet, chest and hand item slots as a trade for being, well, a ruttin' Dragon.
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in seeing how this game develops, but I think magic diversity is going to be a huge problem for many nations.

There was a game called Pain of Human that made one take Rainbows which worked pretty well. But then magic diversity was available.

Even if you made modded dragons to be worth -100 points.... it will still be tough.

Also Shin is the top of the power curve in that group. TC has similar magic diversity, but needs order and production, which given you are working from a 350 point dom 1 base, isnt really happening very easily.

Other nations will be even worse off except maybe for arco.

I think its a great idea. Hope it works out. Maybe mod path cost as well?
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

I think that Carrion Dragons are also fine, the problem is that only Pangaea has access to them IIRC, and Pangaea certainly needs magic diversity to have any fighting chance in a drawn out game.

Ghoul, that's normal. I would have expected someone who's been here as long as you have to know this already... Dragons are basically powerful mythical creatures that can take form of a human mage when necessary. in their human form they lose all their combat capabilities but gain +2 of their primary(and usually only) magic path. you will notice that if you choose the Green Dragon for example, you will get a Master Druid but you will still have 80 points/new path and only N1, not like the actual Master Druid that you can choose with E1N1 10 points/new path.

rabelais, the recommended nations are there for a reason. all of those nations have pretty strong magic diversity and are pretty much on equal footing(give or take a bit).

I'll join your game Ragnoff, and I'd like to take Pythium.
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Corporal

Ok, I Guess i will allow the Carrion Dragon, it has an extra magic path, but starts at only one rank in each and otherwise is basically similar to standard Dragons. Remember it starts awake.