.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM

Private

Soulfreezer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Abyssian chain suicide

Hi, I'm rather new to Dominions 3 and currently playing a SP game as EA Abysia.
I've accepted that my Anointed sometimes insist on wasting fire gems to summon worthless fire elementals that don't manage to reach the enemy before the battle ends. But what my Anathement Salamanders/Dragons did during the last big battle against Niefelheim was utter madness.

I attacked the home province of Niefelheim with 65 Buring Ones and 11 Mages (2 of them were well equipped HoF Anointed). The attack was supported by 3 castings of Flames from the Sky from Mages equipped with Shroud of the Battle Saint for additional Afflictions from my Death Blessing. The attacking Anointed were fully scripted with Phoenix Power, Divine Blessing and Fire Storms. The other Mages had simple scripts of Phoenix Power only. I expected Niefelheim to rout shortly after the fire storms started.

But something went horribly wrong during the battle: After casting their scripted Phoenix Power all of my mages casted Phoenix Pyre in the next round. Niefelheim had a few Vampires which were apparently scripted to attack rear, one of them managed to kill a mage. Phoenix Pyre triggered, several of my Mages were injured by the explosion, one got killed. This triggered the next Phoenix Pyre explosion and a chain reaction started. My Anointed, who hadn't cast Phoenix Pyre, got killed instantly, the other Mages reappeared all over the battlefield right next to some unfriendly giants. All of them except 3 got killed during the same turn, 8 of 11 Mages dead before casting a single attack spell.

In the end my Buring Ones managed to win the fight, but I lost 38 of them in a battle where I expected to lose no more than 10.

So how do I stop my Mages from casting Phoenix Pyre again? I probably can't, right? And why did my fire immune Mages take damage from the explosion, apparently it isn't fire damage? Is there any other way to protect against the damage?