.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road
Default Tien Chi or Machaka?

There are still five races I've never played (I've played the others only once each, and only base themes, but never mind) - Ermor, Pangaea, Atlantis, Tien Chi and Machaka. For my next MP game it looks like one of the last two. Ermor and Pangaea were in our previous game (boooring) and it's only a 4-player game so Atlantis is probably out (they either gang up on me and kill me or they don't and I win).

So, anyway, I'm thinking of E9N9 Machaka with those funky spider dudes getting massive prot & berserk ... but that's been done before and maybe isn't so good? And besides, how do you get enough money when they cost 125gp each (this is an unmodded game)?

I'd love some cool blessings for the sacred statue guys in Tien Chi - maybe W9F9 or something?

We're thinking of using the Chandrea map, with default settings for research, magic sites etc.

Which race (of these two) would you play, and with what pretender?

CC
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tien Chi or Machaka?

Quote:
magnate said:
There are still five races I've never played (I've played the others only once each, and only base themes, but never mind) - Ermor, Pangaea, Atlantis, Tien Chi and Machaka. For my next MP game it looks like one of the last two. Ermor and Pangaea were in our previous game (boooring) and it's only a 4-player game so Atlantis is probably out (they either gang up on me and kill me or they don't and I win).

So, anyway, I'm thinking of E9N9 Machaka with those funky spider dudes getting massive prot & berserk ... but that's been done before and maybe isn't so good? And besides, how do you get enough money when they cost 125gp each (this is an unmodded game)?

I'd love some cool blessings for the sacred statue guys in Tien Chi - maybe W9F9 or something?

We're thinking of using the Chandrea map, with default settings for research, magic sites etc.

Which race (of these two) would you play, and with what pretender?

CC
Actually, the sacred spider ridding troops are completely unchanged in the modded game. Mackaka I think is overall is one of the most balanced nations, some nice stuff, but no really great tricks always have to use to be played well. Anyway, paying for the riders is not that difficult once you have three or four of them out taking rich provinces. One very handy, often overlooked, unit is the eye of the lord. Consider making an early fort just to produce these. If you are willing to sacrifice some population to high taxes and patrolling you can send your income through the roof.

T'ien Ch'i is a bit harder, particularly base game. If you want to play it base theme, I would advise against a bless, those sacred summons are very expensive and not that good, the same goes for the red guard. Base TC's one real strength is it's spies (consorts), only bards are as hard to detect, and these are much cheaper.

If you want a T'ien Ch'i bless, the best bet is probably Spring & Autum river demons. They work great with all kinds of blesses (water, nature, fire, earth are all good), the only difficulty is getting enough water gems to really get enough to be worth the bless. Of course the other advantage is that you get better mages, S&A has magic versatility like no one else.
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

What about Celestial Soliders? They take precious Air gems but they are pretty solid troops.
Old October 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

try tien chi with spring and autumn and do some clamming, then when you have good gem income make a ton of the fire demons with a few nearby river demons to tguard them, even without a good bless these guys rock
also S&A's mages can be hard to kill since celestial masters can fly and are therefore very hard to catch if they rout.
Old October 24th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huzurdaddi said:
What about Celestial Soliders? They take precious Air gems but they are pretty solid troops.
They are decent modded, but base you only have 1 in 8 CMs that can cast it. So, being guaranteed to be able to cast them (with your god), and getting a good bless at the same time is tough. And even if you do somehow cast them a few times, they are not that great, considering the price.
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

them spider dudes are expensive.
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

What do you think of Bane Spider prophet ? It may not be the best combat support out there, but it's wicked fun for me. In worst case (enemy is cautious) you get a stealthy prophet. In best, very cool heroic ability.
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

They would be better assassins if they had more HPs
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

The spider warriors and bane spiders are simply too expensive. Shame, really.
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

id have to agree although they have their uses