.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:02 AM

Private

AStott is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game write-up

Zen: Oh yeah... Gem to money conVersions. Thanks! I think I'll do a little of that. I forgot all about that option.

Targa: Yeah, I set Naggor to immediately retreat. I don't think they got hold of the talisman though, because Naggor later got to spy on another battle against neutrals, and they didn't use it there. I might have to convert some gems to death gems and make another...

Patrik: You're welcome. Good idea about the summary. I'll start doing that at the end of every one of my writeups (which seems to encompass 3-5 turns).

I might get to play this evening, but don't count on it...
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Private

All right. I know how to guarantee a fight with the enemy army. If I take his capital, he will come after me. I must decisively take out his army before it grows much larger. The current situation is as follows. The First Army (led by Lu Tung-Pin the Immortal and Ru Shou the Minister of Rituals) are in Grey Mirks (3). This is adjacent to Pythium (5) and Acyste (125). The latter is the current location of the Pythium army. The Second Army (led by Zi-yu the Eunuch) is slight smaller than the First Army, and is currently in Shamballac (118). This is also adjacent to Acyste. It is also adjacent to Keban (111). Keban is my one large tax producer other than my capital, and is currently guarded by a size 21 defense force.

The enemy army currently has only 5 options. 1) Move to Pythium. 2) Attack my First Army in Grey Mirks. 3) Attack my Second Army (along with Tai) in Shamballac. 4) Attack Keban. 5) Stay where it's at.

I doubt that the enemy army will stay where it's at, given the enemy tendancy to enjoy marching its armies around. I strongle suspect that it will not attack my First or Second Armies, as those are both of significant size, and he would likely not be confident of winning. This means that he will most likely head for Pythium or Keban. I doubt he will head for Pythium, as he would probably recognize this to be abondoning Acyste to my armies. Therefore, despite Keban's decent defenses, I suspect he will head there.

Here is my plan then. The First army will attack his relatively small force in Pythium. The Second Army will move with Tai up into Grey Mirks. The following turn they will move into Pythium to reinforce the First Army. The enemy will presumably take Keban at the same time I take Pythium. This will cause him to immediately turn and head for home.

In order to retake Keban as quickly as possible, I will form the Third Army under command of Lu-xing the Eunuch. Unfortunately, they have only had time to put together a force of 17 men (9 Archers, and 8 Imperial Footmen). This should be sufficient to retake Keban after the enemy deserts it. Lu-xing will move east from T'ien Ch'i via Sleepy Mountains.

I will build a single Heavy Infantry in Keban to do all I can to help the defense there. I don't expect to win, but for 10 gold, I just might do a little more damage to his army. T'ien Ch'i will purchase 4 Imperial Footmen and 5 Archers.

I increase the local defense in Bithyne (102) to 21 to hopefully keep Vanheim from attacking from Gol Phalas (91). I am also concerned by the apparent buildup of troops in Whirling Sea off the coast of the underdefended Lombaria (120). Therefore, with the help of a little alchemy, I convert some gems to gold and increase their defense to 21. With my remaining gold, Grey Mirks' defense is increased to 11.

Now, we sit back and see if my analysis of the enemy is correct.

Turn: 15
There are some unexpected battles this turn...

The Second Defense of Grey Mirks
Interestingly enough, it appears that Pythium split its forces (something I definitely didn't expect) either that, or he's sent some troops down from further up north. This army is somewhat small, but features the following units: 1 Hydra *gulp*, 7 Heavy Infantry, 1 Serpent Cataphract, 2 Hastatus, 1 Theurg Acolyte, and Grom Brave Breaker the Captain. Happily for me, all of his units have nicely lined up behind his hydra. I look forward to watching them all choke to death on the poisonous fumes (dang, must have been some baaaad chili).

Standing against the enemy is a number of local defenders (Footmen and Heavy Infantry) backed by my Second Army and Tai himself. I really wish I'd set up some nifty spells for Tai to cast. I guess we'll just have to hope he can do a decent job.

Unfortunately, my Archers start the battle by taking ono the enemy Infantry wading through the poison, rather than taking on the Hydra. Yikes! This could hurt...

Just about the time the Hydra hits the front rank of local defenders, Tai successfully casts Horror Mark on the Hydra. Heh... Could be useful if I lose the battle.

A few turns later, the only enemy not running for its life is the Hydra and the Theurg Acolyte. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone will try and take the Acoglyte, and we sure aren't making headway against the Hydra. This looks grim.

My Infantry turns to run, being chased by the angray Hydra. Finally my Archers figure out the right target and start doing some minimal damage to the huge beast.

Unfortunately, despite their best efforst, my men are finally routed by the Hydra. To make matters worse, Tai appears to have overexerted himself, and is just sitting there watching his men stream past him while the Hydra approaches. Fortunately, just before the Hydra arrives, he recovers sufficiently, and the remaining men escape off the board.

After tallying up the dead, I discover that along with the province of Grey Mirks, I have lost 16 men. I managed to kill 1 enemy commander and 8 regular units (well, actually, the Hydra probably did that himself). To make things worse, the First Army no longer can expect reinforcements in the siege on Pythium.

Speaking of Pythium...
The Battle for Pythium
It appears that the First Army is up against a large number of Slingers, Militia, and a half dozen Velites. Oh, and a Centurion or two to lead them. I don't expect this to be difficult.

Sure enough, after three volleys, the enemy Slingers are routed. The remaining ground troop push forwards towards my advancing Imperial Footmen. They are met by another deadly hail of arrows and the brutal efficiency of my Footmen. They immediately turn tail and run. The Velites and leaders are still approaching, but they won't Last long.

Sure enough, as the Footmen press forward, and arrows rain down from above, it doesn't take long before the remaining enemies turn and run. We are victorious, and we didn't lose a single man.

The Defense of Keban
Sure enough, the enemy definitely split his army. We're dealing with a very confused mix of all sorts of different units. Facing this motley bunch is a group of local defenders, and a single Heavy Infantry man representing the capital. We might actually win this one...

It's pretty much a straight vicious melee the whole way, with only a few arrows coming from my side of the field. Unfortunately, though I cause significant wounds on a number of the enemy, they are just too tough. I kill 6 of them, but the remainder capture the province.

As the map comes up, I look around, adjust taxes, and taking in the new situation...

On the plus side, the troops off the coast in Whirling Sea seem to have dissipated. Same with the troops down in Gol Phalas. That's certainly a load off my mind.

On the bad side, my First Army (now accompanied by Tai, who chose to flee to that province) is now completely surrounded by hostile provinces. In addition, more enemy forces will be coming up from the south as Pythium sends its army from Keban to help retake its capital. While I'm thinking of it, I set my archers to attack large creatures, and I set Tai to cast a couple rounds of Desiccation. Maybe with a little luck I'll fatigue that Hydra enough that my Archers can finish it off.

Lu-xing and the Third Army continues heading east into Keban. Hopefully it will be deserted when they move in next turn.

Zi-yu and two men from the Second Army retreated south to Lombaria. They will head south into T'ien Ch'i and pick up some more men in order to reform the Second Army. I purchase 4 Imperial Footmen and 6 Archers.

The real question now is what to do with my First Army. They've done so well so far... I think with my Archers targetted on the Hydra I might be able to take it out. Of course, if not, everyone there will die, since I'm surrounded. That would most likely signal the end for me. On the other hand, if I can win this fight, I'll most likely be able to completely finish off Pythium's armies... It's very tempting...

Oooooh... What the heck. They'll stay put. It's definitely a big risk, but the payoff could be huge. We just need to take out that Hydra.

I save the remaining 150 gold for next turn, and with that, we sit back to watch the fireworks.

Turn: 16
The Second Battle for Keban
As expected there is only a very small token force of local defenders here. Despite the small size of the Third Army, we are able to drive off the Pythium defenders, and the provinces is ours once more without any losses.

The Defense of Shamballac
Interesting. It appears that the army that was in Keban decided to move north into Shamballac, rather than straight north into Acyste (and from there to Pythium). Unfortunately, we only have minimal defenders here, and are quickly trampled beneath the hooves of a sizeable unit of Heavy Cavalry. Where on earth did those come from?!?! He only had one turn there in Keban to build them... There's no way he could have had the resources to build all that... hmmm... Well, the province is lost. I hope all his units get sick and die there...

Maintaining the Siege at Pythium
This is it, supposedly the big one. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you view it), the Hydra neglected to show up. The First Army is attacked by another scraggly band of various unit types (led by Pythium's prophet).

Fighting against a very scattered enemy, my Archers aren't very effective. Fortunately, my Imperial Footmen do quite nicely.

In an amazing display of luck, one shot from Tai's Fire Flies spell manages to hit the Pythium prophet just before the Pythium army routes. Pythium's prophet happens to be a berserker, and this cause him to charge my troops. We all laugh, set our spears, and take him on. He puts up a surprisingly good fight (what with his 19 protection), but at Last he goes down. Take that!

We killed 2 enemy commanders (including his prophet) and 8 regular units. We only lost 3 regular units (mostly Archers, when one of those snake rider guys rushed into our back territories).

Once I get to the map, I again adjust a couple tax rates. I notice with some horror that Vanheim has now taken Winter Peaks (95). This is a province that is also adjacent to Bithyne. Not good.

The Seoncd Army in T'ien Ch'i is able to fill back up to 21 men. That's not great, but perhaps with the Third Army they can help reinforce the First and take out Pythium's capital.

I go ahead and pump up Keban's defenses to 21. I'll need this as a deterrent. Then the Second and Third Armies both move into Shamballac. Yu the Master of the Way moves along with the Second Army to provide some spell support. I equip him with my single robe of missile protection (just in case).

I'm a little concerned that Pythium will attack Lombaria (which is only defended by 21 local defenders), but I really need the Second and Third Armies to join together, so they'll have to meet in Shamballac.

The First Army will continue to hold at Pythium.

Turn: 17
The Battle for Shamballac
Apparently Pythium's army feels no rush to get up and defend its capital. I'd expected the force that conquored the province to have moved on, but it's still there... This could be a tough fight.

The enemy Heavy Cavalry moves directly forward into my Imperial Footmen. They pretty much shrug off the arrow my Archers send their way. A vicious melee develops, and before long, half of my Imperial Footmen break ranks and run. At this, the enemy sweeps around both ends of line of my Footmen, slaughtering them. They head for my Archers who desperately attempt to bring down the charging horsemen.

Amazingly enough, after having taken out a few of the Archers, the Cavalry is sent running back the way it came. Of course, half the remaining Archers are also running for their lives.

Moments after this, Scipio the Serpent Lord sends the remainder of the Second and Third army running for their lives. By the final count, I lost 1 commander and 28 regular units. I only managed to kill 9 enemy units.

This time the enemy Hydra has shown up. Accompanying him are 2 Theurg Acolytes, a Theurg Communicant, a single Hastatus, and 2 Emerald Guard. Victory will depend on taking down the Hydra.

As the battle starts, I realize that Tai did not cast Dessicate. Oops. Must be that it requires gems to cast. Ah well. I guess he'll have to wing it.

The battle is vicious. My Footmen valiantly charge forward to take on the Hydra while shaft after shaft from the Archer is sent against the beast. With its astounding regeneration rate of 15 hit points per turn, it looks grim. At Last, after having sent the surviving three Footmen running for their lives, the Archers manage a Last volley that brings the thing down.

After that, a couple volleys of arrows send the Last surviving enemy fleeing for his life. We've won, but we won't have any infantry units left... Definitely time to bring the First Army home. At least we took out that Hydra.

I take a look around the map. Things look very grim. Vanheim has taken Iron Range (106). This province borders on Keban and Sleepy Mountains (which has no defense). I fully expect Vanheim to take Sleepy Mountains next turn, cutting off T'ien Ch'i from Keban. There's really nothing I can do about this.

Shamballac is still held by a rather ugly force of mixed units led by that Heavy Cavalry unit. I have nothing in the area that can challenge it. On the plus side, their troops should be getting diseased while they're sitting there.

Pythium is using Acyste to raise an army of Shamblers (as the often ignore Naggor reports). Fortunately, they have less than 10 of them so far.

Yu the Master of the Way and two Archers have fled to Lombaria. Lu-xing the Eunuch has retreated to T'ien Ch'i, where I am able to put 13 men under his command.

In the midst of all these bad tidings, something occurs to me. As nasty as that hydra is, I wonder if that was Pythium's pretender. I don't have enough experience to know if a Hydra is one of the possible pretender forms. If so, I have a chance to pull this off. As far as I can tell, Pythium only has 3 provinces left with any kind of Dominion. All three are at only a -1. Tai the Arch Mage (my own Pretender) is current sitting in the middle of these three provinces. If he can convert those provinces, then Pythium might just vanish... That might give me the chance I need against the approaching Vanheim.

I think at this point, that's my best option. Of course, the First Army no longer has any Infantry units. That could be really really bad. Fortunately, Pythium has never seemed to have a lot of ranged units, so I might get lucky and pull it off. I go ahead and remove Tai's spell casting orders and discover that dessication doesn't require gems, but only has a range of 10. No wonder he wouldn't cast it.

Yu moves back to T'ien Ch'i. Keban recruits a commander, and T'ien Ch'i brings in its usual assortment of troops (plus a Celestial Master). I then boost the defense in Keban to 25 (I need to keep that gold).

And with that, another turn ends. I cross my fingers and generate the next turn.

I think I'll stop there for now. Nothing like a little suspence to heighten the tension. I'll provide a summary of the current state of my empire.

Provinces: 6 (apparently counting Pythium)
Income: 362
Gem Income: 4 Air, 1 Water, 2 Earth, 5 Astral
Research: 18 points per turn (really bad, I know, I'm second from Last in research)
Dominion: 19
Army Size: 3rd from Last
Upkeep: 58

All in all, things are looking very bad. I'll most likely end up losing sometime soon here.
Old February 15th, 2004, 11:20 PM

Private

Turn: 18
Things are definitely not looking up. In T'ien Ch'i, a demon possessed a herd of swine and ravaged the province for a week. That can't be good.

Pythium frantically tries to break my seige at his capital. But he only brings along 4 Light Infantry, 1 Archer, and a Centurion to command them. Even without any infantry, I am able to dispatch the threat without losing a man, or even breaking a sweat.

The Defense of T'ien Ch'i
Interestingly enough, the Heavy Cavalry unit which has been pestering my troops so much decided to try and assault my capital. There are 7 of the Heavy Cavalry, plus their captain.

As the battle begins, my hoarde of Footmen charge forward to meet the enemy Cavalry. My Footmen take heavy losses, and half of them route. Fortunately, the remainder manage to convince the enemy to retreat, and I retain control of the province.

I take stock of the current situation, since it's been a while since I've played. Things definitely do not look good. The First Army is sitting in Pythium without any melee units. They definitely need to be reinforced. Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to eliminate the enemy dominion like I'd hoped.

The Second Army, reformed under the leadership of Lu-xing the Eunuch, is pretty much at full strength, and is ready to move out of T'ien Ch'i. I will attempt to move them north to reinforce the First Army. Their likely route will be through Grey Mirks, which reports say is only defended by Militia. I will move them through Shamballac in order to retake that province. I will send Yu the Master of the Way along with them for some spell support.

In the south, Vanheim appears to have no interest in taking my Sleepy Mountains province. His armies have left the adjacent Iron Range and has moved on. This gives me a chance to put minimal provincial defenses in Sleepy Mountains as a minor deterrant.

I recruit three Imperial Footmen and 4 Archers in T'ien Ch'i. I also recruit a commander in Keban. I take advantage of the high resources in Sleepy Mountains to recruit a pair of Heavy Infantry.

I save the remaining 200 gold in order to try and save up to purchase a Celestial Master next turn.

The First Army I leave in place, beseiging the walls of Pythium, since Pythium doesn't yet seem prepared to attack in force.

Turn: 19
The Second Battle for Shamballac
There is only a small group of militia holding this province. The Second Army is able to sweep aside the resistance without any incidences of note. My losses are a single Imperial Footman to friendly fire.

The First Army is attacked by another group of 13 men with an assortment of weapons. They have no ranged attackers or mages, and so my Archers strike at them as they advance across the entire length of the field.

Within just a couple turns, their army is routed, and by the time they retreat out of sight they have lost 6 men.

After purchasing some local defenders, the Second Army heads north into Grey Mirks. The First Army will stay put.

I note with some pleasure that the presence of Tai in Pythium has finally resulted in the conVersion of that dominion to my own. That is useful.

I recruit single Heavy Infantry in Shamballac, Keban, and Sleepy Mountains. In addition, T'ien Ch'i recruits a Celestial Master, 4 Imperial Footmen, and 4 Archers.

I will at some point send a commander around to collect the units being produced in small numbers by the various provinces.

Seeing that Vanheim will apparently not be assaulting Sleepy Mountains, I drop their tax rate back down to a reasonable level from its former point of 200.

Hanifel the Commander (previously recruited in Keban) will head up the new Third Army. He begins touring the provinces, rounding up the scattered units being produced.

Naggor continues to keep an eye out in Acyste. It appears that Pythium has switched over from producing Shamblers and has cranked out some Light Infantry. Good. I don't have time to deal with them yet...

Turn: 20
Some interesting news in Sleep Mountains. A group of zealots have joined my cause. Despite their light armor and weapons, they just might be of some use. In addition there was a large market in that province, and I gained a tax revenue of 100 gold. Excellent!

Uh oh... It looks like they finally decided to bring in a large force to break the seige. I wish it had waited one turn, as then I'd have had the reinforcements from the Second Army.

My Archers spend all their time attempting to fire at an approaching Heavy Cavalry. As a result, I don't even manage to get a single kill by the time my army is routed. At the final count, I have lost three Archers.

The Third Battle for Grey Mirks
We're up against a very large force of Militia and some Slingers. I expect that our Archers will make quick work of them.

We manage to chase off the Militia and Slingers before any hand-to-hand fighting breaks out. What remains are a pair of Heavy Infantry and a single Commander. These go down fairly quickly as well, although we do lose another Imperial Footman to friendly fire. I'm starting to think one of the Archers is a traitor...

Fortunately, the First Army was able to retreat from Pythium into Grey Mirks to meet up with the approaching Second Army. Boy, if Pythium had broken the siege only one turn earlier, I'd have lost the entire First Army, including Tai...

In T'ien Ch'i, I am tempted to fork out the big bucks for a Prince General. I need a larger army, and he can command 75 men. Then I realize that I now have enough fire gems to create a Scepter of Command. So, I recruit another Eunuch, and set Song Di (my new Celestial Master) to building the Scepter. I also recruit 4 Imperial Footmen and 5 Archers in T'ien Ch'i. I continue building individual single units in other provinces (all Heavy Infantry, except for Grey Mirks which is able to produce 2 Heavy Infantry and 3 Archers).

I realize that off to my south, Gol Phalas (once owned by Vanheim) has been taken over by Ulm. This looks like a good opportunity, and I send the Third Army down into Iron Range to take the apparently defenseless province from Vanheim. The Third Army had taken on the fanatic Flagellant that had recently appeared, so they shouldn't have many problems.

In Grey Mirks, I transfer all of the troops from the Second Army to the First Army. This gives Lu Tung-Pin command of 31 Archers and 7 Imperial Footmen. I then change the Archers' orders to target large monsters. This is because Naggor in Acyste has spotted that Pythium has apparently acquired at least a couple elephants. I move the Imperial Footmen so that they are not right in front of the Archers, and then I send the First Army into Acyste along with Ru Shou the Minister of Rituals.

Lu-xing the Eunuch and Yu the Master of the Way will move into Shamballac to begin reforming the Second Army from the individual units being recruited around the empire. Tai will stay in place to search Grey Mirks for magic sites. I really doubt that Pythium will attack Grey Mirks this turn. I will also increase the local defense.

Turn: 21
To my joy, Tai is able to find two magic sites in Grey Mirks. One is a Crystal Citadel, giving 1 astral pearl, and 1 earth gem and also allowing me to recruit Crystal Mages. The other is a Boiling Bog, which produces 1 fire gem and 1 water gem. The Crystal Citadel has also provided a decent fort and a laboratory. Wow! What an excellent find! I'll definitely need to defend that province.

The Battle for Iron Range
There are only 5 local defenders here, and I am able to destroy them while only losing 3 of my Flagellants.

The Defense of Keban
Oh shoot. Looks like the elephants (apparently a mercenary force) came down here instead of waiting to be taken by my First Army. There are a total of 6 elephants (one a leader) against my force of primarily local defenders.

Fortunately, I do have about a half dozen Archers, and they get right to work, wounding a couple elephants.

Amazingly enough, my Footmen are able to attack and kill an elephant while only taking minimal losses, and with that, the elephants turn and route off the field with my troops in pursuit. To make me even happier, the First Army apparently cut their escape route behind them, and the entire enemy force is lost! Yes!

The Battle for Acyste
As expected, the defenders consisted merely of Slingers and Militia. My large force of Archers is able to route the defenders before they get even half way across the field. I take the province without losing a single man.

To make this turn an even more glorious one, I realize that a barbarian army has attacked the province of Pythium, and forced the defenders inside the castle. This is extremely good news, as Pythium was the site of their largest army. With them tied up there, I will be able to move troops around without having to be so concerned about keeping my provinces defended!

With so many options opened up. I decide to take another break to consider what my next step will be.

Well, things certainly turned around quickly. Suddenly Vanheim is no longer a concern (although I will have to watch out for Ulm. In addition, it really looks like I'll be able to go around Pythium and take all of his other provinces. This will allow me to lay siege to his castle and keep him bottled up at my own pace. Things are definitely looking up. Here's a summary of my current status.

Provinces: 9
Income: 339 (should go up a decent bit as I subdue some unrest)
Gem Income: 3 Fire, 4 Air, 2 Water, 3 Earth, 6 Astral
Research: 27 points per turn (yes, I'm still second to Last, but I may be able to devote some more gold to mages here pretty soon)
Dominion: 19 (this too should start going up as I take provinces from Pythium)
Army Size: 5th in size, but only about 25% the size of the largest (Ermor)
Upkeep: 96
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:59 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by AStott:
In T'ien Ch'i, a demon possessed a herd of swine and ravaged the province for a week. That can't be good.
Is that an actual random event? I've never seen such a thing, it sounds immensely amusing.

Quote:

Army Size: 5th in size, but only about 25% the size of the largest (Ermor)
Upkeep: 96
Ermor's army size doesn't really count, since their army is entirely one-dimensional and can vanish in massive clumps at once, whereas other people's armies don't. Ermor's army strength is largely illusionary, since their individual troops are grossly inferior to most units.
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Yes it's an event

There are alot of 'hidden' events if you take certain scales that you normally would not. (Particularly Drain/Magic, Death/Growth, Order/Turmoil).

They have the basic same effects (akin to a Barbarian Raid, in this instance) just slightly different implementation

[ February 16, 2004, 00:05: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
Ermor's army size doesn't really count, since their army is entirely one-dimensional and can vanish in massive clumps at once, whereas other people's armies don't. Ermor's army strength is largely illusionary, since their individual troops are grossly inferior to most units.
Of course, you are correct. Interestingly enough though, Mictlan has an army about 85% the size of Ermor's army. And then Machaka is about 50% of Ermor's army size, with Arcoscephale at about 40-45%. So, there are definitely some big concerns out there.
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Corporal

IKerensky is on a distinguished road

mercenaries
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Private

Having upgraded to 1.08, I'm ready to start hitting Pythium where it hurts...

Turn: 21
Ok, the first step will be to send Naggor into Pythium so that I can keep an eye on the situation there. The First Army will move from Acyste over to Grey Mirks. From there they will be heading north into Bergamum (13). This is one of Pythium's provinces. The First Army will attempt to take as many of Pythium's other provinces before moving into to lay seige to the capitol.

Unfortunately, despite my intentions, Lu-xing and Yu of the Second Army neglected to move out from Grey Mirks Last turn. So, I give them command of the Heavy Infantry and Archers produced in Grey Mirks Last turn, and move them into Shamballac to have them begin picking up troops from around the empire.

Tai will move from Grey Mirks into Acyste where he will search for magical sites. I don't expect him to be attacked there, as the only enemy-held province adjacent is Pythium which is currently under siege by neutral barbarians.

Grey Mirks will recruit 4 Imperial Footmen to supplement the First Army when it arrives. Acyste will produce 7 Shamblers to begin building a force which will allow me to begin assaulting the nearby water provinces. I'll want to try and take on R'lyeh sometime, but I might go for the sea on the east first, as it appears to be unoccupied. T'ien Ch'i recruits 2 Red Guard. Now that I have a second castle with a fairly strong resource base, I think the time is right to begin build a good heavy cavalry unit. In order to pay for all this, I convert my stock of about a dozen earth gems to gold.

Fu Xi the Master of the Way begins forging a Ring of Water Breathing for the commander who will be leading the Shamblers.

I also decide to take further advantage of Vanheim being attacked by Ulm, and send the Third Army into Winter Peaks (95). This province is heald theoretically only by a single Einhere. I'm not sure what that is, but I think it's a demon, and shouldn't be too tough to take out.

Lastly, Zhong kui the Eunuch takes control of 11 Imperial Footmen and 13 Archers in T'ien Ch'i, thus forming the Fourth Army. I send them north into Lombaria. From there they'll be headed up into Grey Mirks to assist with the disposal for Pythium.

Turn: 22
It appears that Pythium is finally able to declare a prophet. Somehow I doubt that Scipio the Serpent Lord will live for too long.

Keban is subject to a wave of religious zeal, and I have a group of Militia to supplement one of my armies.

In Acyste, a hurricane strikes. I'm not exactly sure of the effects of that...

The Battle for Winter Peaks
Ok, it looks like an Einhere is just a fanatical berserker. He is accompanied by 4 Huscarls and a Herse to lead them. This shouldn't be too difficult.

My Flagellants sweep in from the side just before my Heavy Infantry hits the enemy from the front. The Flagellants fight quite well, qiuckly killing all but two of the Huscarls, sending them fleeing. Only one Flagellant is lost in the process. Winter Peaks is mine.

I am also given the chance (thanks to Naggor) to watch a fight between Pythium and the Independants. Unfortunately, the Independant Barbarians are pretty well outmatched, and they are chased off. Pythium only loses a Commander and a couple of Light Infantry. Ah well.

I take a look to see what forces are available in Pythium. To my dismay, Naggor reports that they've picked up another Hydra. In addition, there are a number of Light Infantry, and of course, Nin the Great Enchantress who is Pythium's Pretender. This concerns me, because to their eyes, Acyste (without any local defenses) may look like a tempting target. Tai of course will be searching for magic sites there this turn. Therefore, I put the Shamblers under Tai's control and direct them all to retreat in case of attack.

The Fourth Army will be moving into Grey Mirks this turn. I'll probably have them defend Grey Mirks, as I really don't want to lose that province with it's Crystal Citadel.

The First Army will move north into Bergamum (13) this turn. Pythium has a temple there which I'm looking forward to destroying. The province appears to be defended by only 4 units, most of which are probably shamblers. The Archers of the First Army should have no problems dispatching them.

Grey Mirks will recruit 2 Imperial Footmen and 4 Archers. I'll need to crank out a good solid force there quickly, as Pythium now has free rein to attack into my provinces again.

The Second Army (Lu-xing and Yu) will move southeast into Keban. There they will take control of the Light Infantry. Then they'll probably move north into Acyste to help bolster the apparent defenses (hopefully preventing Pythium from attacking).

After recruiting another 2 Red Guard in T'ien Ch'i, I'm left with only 25 gold. Rather than probably wasting it on Acyste (in case they get attacked this turn), I will instead bolster the defenses in Winter Peaks. Once I build it up a little higher, I can send the Third Army into Farseer Mountains (96), as Vanheim doesn't appear to have left any defending troops.

I'm a little concerned that Ulm has chosen to move a force of 30 Archers and Infantry into Gol Phalas. Fortunately, my neighboring province of Bithyne as a defence of 21, while Vanheim's neighboring province of Ephesibor appears to have no defenders. Hopefully Ulm will move east instead of north.

I also note that having taken Winter Peaks I now can see the province of Vanheim to the southeast. I of course will not be attacking it, but it's good to know that Vanheim doesn't appear to have expanded much.

This is a good stopping point for now. Things should heat up again here pretty quick, especially if Pythium sends his Hydra down into my territory. Fortunately, I'm starting to get a decent number of forces up in that area, which may cause him to hold back for now.

Provinces: 10
Income: 367
Gem Income: 3 Fire, 4 Air, 2 Water, 3 Earth, 6 Astral
Research: 35 points per turn (Research is looking a little better. Right now I'm focused on getting to Construction 4 (only 2 more turns) after that, I'm not sure where I'll head. No change in my relative research rate. Fortunately, it doesn't appear that anyone has really been building up their research departments. All of the slopes on the research graph are fairly stable.)
Dominion: 21 (expect to see this continue growing)
Army Size: tied for 3rd place (getting 42 Militia will do that; fortunately these will help deter attacks by Pythium until I can get real forces in the area)
Upkeep: 139