.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

View Poll Results: Situation1: Would you still play to win with all force?
Y: The thrill is in the kill and there are always more opponents to be found on the internet anyway. 1 3.85%
Y: Stop bragging, keep playing and keep proving your capabilities! 1 3.85%
N: Playing the game is the fun! The short instant of winning is just a gas. 4 15.38%
Y: Playing the game is the fun! The short instant of winning is just a gas. So if they
do not understand this, then there is no point in playing with them anyway.
4 15.38%
Y: Willingly loosing would be the same as betraying your friends. After all, they expect you to give your best! 3 11.54%
N: Allowing your friends to enjoy winning Dom2 is a noble cause. 1 3.85%
Y: Allowing your friends to enjoy winning Dom2 is a noble cause, but you are bad at keeping secrets. They will believe you that you could have won,
so in the end they will feel betrayed by you, which is worse.
2 7.69%
Y: Allowing your friends to enjoy winning Dom2 is a noble cause, but you are bad at keeping secrets. They will not believe that you could have won, so in the end they will scorn you for being a boasting liar that
cannot stand loosing.
0 0%
N: None of the above matters, but building up all those lovely toy armies took so much time that it would be shame not see them in action until all but the last tin soldier has fallen. So prolong the game as long as you can! 2 7.69%
?: I would discuss matters with them openly. They would have to agree to my superiority over them and we would negotiate
some sacrifices of my forces and continue play on even terms.
5 19.23%
?: Like the one above, but I would still win in the end... 1 3.85%
?: Other. See my individual post. 2 7.69%
?: Who cares? I am here to discuss strategy games and not for answering your bloody questions of moral! 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM

BANNED USER

Anonimus is on a distinguished road
Default Loosing on purpose: morally justifiable?

I will describe two gaming situations which might generally occur in any strategy game. Please tick the appropriate action you would take in each and express your thoughts (if any) in a post.

The questions I pose are questions of moral. I am in one of the situations described, and I do not know how to handle them without any bad remorse. This is also the reason for using a different login here.

For ease of writing, I will refer to DominionsII (Dom2) instead of a generic strategy game. There is nothing Dominions-specific to this question.

The Situation for Question 1: You love playing Dom2. You love playing strategy games with well-known local friends. You love playing Dom2 with good friends even more. However, after a few games it turns out that you are ahead of them in learning the game and you easily defeated them so far. Another Dom2 game is currently coming to its end. Your friends have learned, but you might still win the game if you act quickly and forceful now (e.g. by grabbing the final victory points)! However, you fear that doing so might cause your friends to abandon Dom2 entirely and that you will never convince them to play Dom3 with you. What would
you do now? Would you loose willingly? Would you still try your best to win? Why? And why not?

Question 2: A simplified range of answers for the previous questions. Please answer as you just did before.

Situation of Question 3: You and your friends have played a few Dom2 games. Always the same player has won thus far. This time the tide seems to turn, but you suspect that he might just let you win instead of a proper fight in order to keep you going. How do you feel?