ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Corporal

Fabfire is on a distinguished road
Default Accuracy values for the main guns - MBT\'s.

This one being my first post here, I would like to thank Andy, Don, & The Camo Workshop for what is, IMHO, the best version of SP ever - God, after 10 years - SP, SP2, SP3, SPWAW - I can reverse a tank!!

However, perhaps the accuracy (for the tank's main guns) values should be reviewed, since my impression is that they do not represent the tank gun's actual accuracy. The rule of thumb in WinSPMBT is "the length in calibers divided by 4" (this is from the manual, under the item "Accuracy"). So, a German 120mm L/55, will have an accuracy value of 14, and the German 120mm L/44 will have an accuracy value of only 11... The same with the American M256 of the all versions of the M1A1/A2. And the Israeli 120mm of the Merkava and each and every tank that uses some 120mm L/44, too. And then we have the British Challenger's guns, with an accuracy value going up to 16 (I am not bashing the British rifled 120mm guns - they are deadly accurate, but perhaps not so much more than the German 120mm L/44, which has a value of only 11), and the Soviet/Russian 125mm guns a value of 13.

Would Rheinmetall design a gun less accurate than the Soviet 125mm guns? I don't believe so. That's against the company's tradition and reputation. And no, I don't work for Rheinmetall...

I just want to point out that maybe gun length is not the best factor in determining tank gun accuracy, there are many other factors involved such as the quality of the materials used in the gun itself and how it behaves with the propellant used, the chamber pressure, etc. All these factors are exclusive of the tank gun itself, not the FCS. And they are relevant where accuracy is concerned.

I am really not convinced of the "longest gun is the most accurate one" accuracy principle, specially when the latest tank guns are compared to the old Soviet guns. I mean, by the time of their respective development and posterior deployment, why the Hell would Germany and the US implement a gun on the Leopard 2 and M1A1 Abrams that were less accurate than the guns used in the same Soviet tanks they were supposed to defeat? Again, I am not speaking of the effects of the different FCS systems used, I am referring to raw gun accuracy.

Most respectfully, I would like to hear Andy and Don's comments on this issue.