War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old December 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Quote:
Mayday said:
When you commit genocide on one of these, however, the effect should, I feel, be much worse among the same race than if they were just another alien faction.
I know that if there were another human empire, and some species wiped them out, I wouldn't be very pleased.
Also, there should be a tweak to the AI to encourage recapturing rebelled worlds. I doubt that people would be too happy, if, say, one of the US's states broke away, and the US's military completely obliterated them for it.
Well I personally would drop a transports load of troops onto it to recapture it. It would be interesting however if we had different cultural political systems, that way if a planet rebels and you have a dictatorial system (much like the type I regularly choose) nuking the lot of them will actually reduce unhappiness on other planets as they see the price of disobedience (if they know whats good for them).
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Private

Mayday is on a distinguished road

Well, yes, I do too. The AI doesn't seem to, though. It just glasses the planet and recolonises.
I mean, I can't even count the number of enemies I've used spies on, in order to make their worlds rebel so they would gradually wipe themselves out.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

When you say you use Intel to make the AI planet rebel do you mean cause unrest or actually make them split off?, because I am damned if I can make puppet political parties actually work (even when they have no intel defense).
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Private

I like to max out my intel and have One level 3 Counter-Intelligence running, and the rest all Puppet Political Parties. Works a treat on less espionage oriented people, especially during a war.
Sometimes they join me, sometimes they make their own governments, all the time they get totally glassed by their former rulers.
And when that stops working, I change it to have one level 3 Counter-Int and all the rest are Crew Insurgents. I tend to take over most of their fleets with little work, and glass whatever is left.

[Edit]
I should also mention that they're all completed in one turn, and I have it set to repeat projects. That's how much much I'll put into it. With that much, I can bankrupt most factions.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

We could really use a master log file. A file that logs all significant information. Things that the log should include but not limited to are:

1. Records date ship was constructed
2. Records date ship was lost, destroyed, sold, traded, other
3. Records date system explored
4. Records date planet colonized
5. Records date of first contact
6. Records all Messages from contacts
7. Records all events

Additionally a note pad feature in the game would be a god send. The current one does not meet the requirements needed by those of use who use it. Additonally switching alt tabbing in and out of the game is a PITA.

The system note system is good, but it would be helpful if there was a master log file of these. IE a text file that we could open that contained each systems notes, if any, in alphobetical order by system name.

Just some thoughts.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Private

Some other things:
Technologies that require multiple prerequisite techs.
Sensors for mines. These should be expensive additions to the mine, and only work on the sector the mines are in.
Also, higher sector limits on mines. Or at the very least adjustable ones.

It might also be nice to have a Terraformer ship type, which acts like a colonisation vessel, in that it is entirely consumed after use. To go on this design alone should be Atmospheric Modifier Plant and Climate control facility components that, that, when ordered to 'colonise' or whatever, are changed to be planetary facilities. By making the ship a small one, you can limit the number of facility components it can hold to 1, so there'll never be a problem when there aren't enough facility slots on the planet for the terraformer to fill. Also, I feel that this would indeed be balanced, if the facility component is the same cost as the facility itself. This is because you have to build it one the ship, and so have to pay for the other components too, and the maintenance while it is in transit, and the entire ship is consumed on use, so there's no 'repair and do it again' method, like how I build my Quantum reactor Planet Builders and Warp point openers and closers.

Anyway, this has the result of being a faster way to build this facility on all needy worlds in the empire, since a high population world can build faster, and will easily produce it in less time than the colony would be able to.
Possibly, you could make it so that the 'unpacked' facility was a different one altogether with a slower terraform ability than the planet built one, only 'buildable' by being unpacked. Although I would say that the cost of having the major production centres' shipyards focussed on building terraformers instead of warships should be tradeoff enough.
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:00 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

A small note: Mine limits per sector are already adjustable. I think you have to tweak the data files, but it's a tiny adjustment. But yeah, it'd be nice to have an adjustable bar or something in the game setup where you could change the # of mines, satellites, etc per sector.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Also, higher sector limits on mines. Or at the very least adjustable ones.
You can adjust it now. Open up Settings.txt in the Data folder and find the following setting:

Maximum Mines Per Player Per Sector := 100
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Private

Hey thanks. It would still be nice to have it in game, however. Is there any upper limit that anyone knows of?
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Probably some power of two or one less than a power of two...

Quote:
Technologies that require multiple prerequisite techs.
These already exist - e.g. Small Phased Polaron Beams (requires Smaller Weapons and Phased Energy Weapons) - though I agree that more such techs would be interesting, and many mods do add more

Quote:
Sensors for mines. These should be expensive additions to the mine, and only work on the sector the mines are in.
This should be moddable as long as Aaron makes all sensors range-based and not just system-based, which I *think* he said he was planning to do... anyone else remember that or am I just dreaming? Oh, and he would also have to make some way to differentiate between sensors that have a range of zero and no sensors at all, since currently if you create Long Range Scanners that have a range of zero, they simply don't work; the game treats the two the same and thus the minimum range for Long Range Scanners is 1 (a 9 square coverage). Perhaps a range of -1 or null or something for no sensors at all, Aaron?