.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Unit Select to Battle Simulator

I think that the new tools we have for editing units, and the databases they have, could be merged with my old clunky battle simulator into a really nice tool.
thread on Battle Simulator

A "select units and write to a map" method would work. A "select units and update a mod" might allow it to affect a test game on the fly but it seems like it might not be worth that much effort.

The one that I did allows you to build armies in home provinces and then play the mini map. You can script them, then have them attack each other in a neighboring province.

With map commands the army could be built, equipment assigned, magic granted, experience levels boosted, etc. If the command for pre-researching spells ever gets fixed that would be great also. A menu'd method of selecting would make it more user friendly.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Unit Select to Battle Simulator

Here is a Dom3 version I did
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/Mini_v3.zip
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Here is the image of the crappy map from Mini_v3.zip

It has 2 water provinces, 2 basic land starting provinces, 1 mountain province that the two nations can meet in and 1 forest province they can meet in. Its "designed" (actually I think I snipped it from the Aran map) so that 2 land, 2 water, or a land and a water nation can still meet in either of the test provinces. I didnt consider land and water wanting to meet in water but I could easily fix that.

Here is a snippet of the map file from the MiniMap. The two starting nations (MA Man and MA Ulm) each get a created army to test against each other.
Code:

-- land starts --
-- start nation 30 (Man) in province 2
#specstart 30 2
-- set target province to 2 and add a commander
#setland 2
#commander 54
#additem "Ring of the Warrior"
-- add units to that commander
#bodyguards 2 65
#units 10 57
#units 30 62
#units 38 59

-- start nation 31 (Ulm) in province 3
#specstart 31 3
-- set target province to 3 and add a commander
#setland 3
#commander 114
#additem "Ring of the Warrior"
-- add units to that commander
#bodyguards 2 76
#units 10 69
#units 30 79
#units 38 417

By adding those to the Mini.map it creates a map that you can start a game with which gives you those armies. In the first turn you can script them and send them to meet each other. To retest with the same variables, you just start another game with the same map.

To test new variables you edit the settings. I think its plain that someone merging this with something for unit selection would create a battle simulator worthy of being called that.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

In another thread it was noted that altho the maps command to set a starting spell is broken, some people arrange it by adding a few sages to the units, put them on research, and hitting the host button over and over until they reach it. If you save off the game at that point to a different directory then you can restore it to retry that spell with different scripting or just over and over to get an average on the results.