.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Falling frost vs. AI hordes

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Mmm... falling fires, mediocre? I'm playing a game right now where one fire mage has killed over 70 enemy soldiers over just two battles just casting those, fireballs and incinerates. The visual results on the battlefield weren't stunning, but the numbers were actually pretty good. If you say about 30 enemy casualties per mage, 3 mages is nearly 100 dead enemy soldiers. Not bad, I'd say.
I'm going to guess that the "one mage" isn't a 150 gold Witch Hunter that first cast Phoenix Power, then cast falling fires three times before exhausting out? Because that's my typical result, which is more like 15 enemy fatalities per battle. Nice, admittedly, but not great.

Now if you're using a 320 gold MA Anathemant Dragon, or better yet, a 440 gold Anointed of Rhuax, yeah, I can see you laying down some serious damage... but note you're paying a lot more for it.
That's an f3 mage with phoenix power. F2's aren't quite as good, no. But if you can get up to f4, they tend to cause a LOT of casualties. And at 30 casualties per battle, they only need to survive two battles to pay themselves back. You also can't underestimate the power of momentum.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 28th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Corporal

Meursy is on a distinguished road

Well, you mentioned Witch Hunters, so you've got a bunch of F2S1 guys running around. How about you set up a reverse communion with a nice big group of them (say 10), in round one all the ones higher in the unit list cast communion slave, the final two cast communion master. Round two, you script your c slaves to something low fatigue, one master casts Phoenix Power and the other one (holding a pearl or two) casts Power of the Spheres. Round three you have a shedload of guys casting effective F4 level Falling Fires. If you have the capability to forge crystal matrixes you could get the party started round two instead of round three.

In the meantime you've set your blocking troops to hold and attack, and of course the AI isn't going to be clever enough to hold their own troops back or script some sort of fire resistance or, heaven forbid, create fire immune thugs.

If you're facing a truly massive horde of troops you might want to give your masters some sort of bow and script them to start firing after they've cast their buffs, but since they're going to be something like lvl 6 or 7 in fire by then (due to bonus from 8 communion slaves) you can probably just get them to join in the general barbecuing slaughter.

I learned how to do this sort of thing from Baalz's must-read guide on communions, which you can find in his signature from his post on the first page of this thread.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Well below Evocation 9: Grip of Winter, Heat from Hell, Rigor Mortis, Foul Vapors. Only the last is reliably deadly on its own, but all can incapacitate or kill large armies pretty cheaply, if you can hold off the enemy while they do their work... and if you can prevent your own side from being significantly harmed.

Summoning a bunch of elementals can be a good way to hold off the enemy for a while (or even for the rest of the battle, if you spend enough gems on it).
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

Kadelake is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised none have mentioned rain of stones. The path combination needed is really rare but it can really decimate armies.
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Rare, that is, until you reach Tartarians.
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

With witch hunters you can also go for an astral fires communion, which can be pretty devastating.
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananadine View Post
Well below Evocation 9: Grip of Winter, Heat from Hell, Rigor Mortis, Foul Vapors. Only the last is reliably deadly on its own, but all can incapacitate or kill large armies pretty cheaply, if you can hold off the enemy while they do their work... and if you can prevent your own side from being significantly harmed.
I've tried using the battlefield enchantments. The trouble I have is deploying them effectively. If I could get my ubermages in the right location at the right time I can see them doing a lot of damage. But more often than not my mages go *here* while his army goes *there* and I'm playing catch-up.

I've read that Teleport and Cloud Trapeze can work to land my mages on him before he gets a chance to scurry, but that's worked even worse for me -- my mage lands without adequate defense, and gets eaten before the battlefield spell can do any real damage.
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Corporal

That's why teleporting some kitted out thugs/SC's is easier. If possible have one or two of your teleporters cast one of the level 7 mass elemental summon spells, for a round or two, preferably ones immune to whatever you're laying down. In my experience I've found at least Fire Storm works better when you have a normal immune army behind it, it needs a fair bit of time to work. Grip of Winter at least fatigues and therefore weakens the other guys troops, never tried it with just (I suppose ice with Wolven Winters) elementals though.
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursy View Post
If possible have one or two of your teleporters cast one of the level 7 mass elemental summon spells, for a round or two, preferably ones immune to whatever you're laying down.
That might work. It's not too hard to teleport a second mage in, and if he throws elementals out there, that will slow down the armies I'm trying to obliterate before the mage gets eaten. I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the tip!
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:30 PM

Corporal

Whoa, a _second_ mage? Yeah, teleporting a lone mage in to cast Rigor Mortis or whatever without any backup is definitely not going to work, though I guess you've worked that out on your own, which is cool. The battlefield wide damage/fatigue enchantments are simply not that powerful afaik. The level 9 evoc spells might work like that though.

I'd be sending in at least two extra mages to spam the elementals, make sure you give em enough gems to cast for two or three rounds, including a few extra to suck up some fatigue. Boosters to get you above the minimum level you need for the spells will allow you to cast longer before fatiguing out if possible.

You could also send some mages to cast other battlefield summons, Rigor Mortis combined with a couple of Undead Hordes followed by skellispam could work.

If you don't need to teleport/trapeze, consider handing out some flying boots to these guys instead. Also give a scout some flying boots and replacement gems, and your mage hit squad can terrorize your opponent for several turns, not as easily/cheaply as a flying thug/SC would but still usable.

You can also just bring regular bodyguards if you use Flying Carpets. And Bottles of Living Water are always an option for self-replenishing mage protection, in and out of battle.