This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM

Corporal

Tanus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: going nuts on retrofit

I think that Gandalf is speaking of a normal retroseries build scheme.

If you have the extra resources such that you can pay for it, with a retroseries Gandalf would have a stronger fleet.

Take 30 shipyards;
If you build complete ships, and each ship takes say 6 turns, then you'll have 30 complete, top-of-the-line ships in 6 turns.

If you retrobuild with a 2 step process, you could have your first shell ready in 3 turns.
So in 3 turns, he has 30 basic shells
by turn 4, has 30 midway shells
turn 5, 30 complete, top-of-the-line ships
by turn 6, 30 complete ships and 30 basic shells

So he now has 60 ships to your 30, and his production will continue to outdo the full-build style.

by turn 12 (full build has 60 complete ships), retrobuilder has 90 complete ships and 30 shells

I hope that helps

IAI OPS TTS DST SIC IOO INU ESD NQS TCE LUT IUS
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

well I dont need mobile much. And I still dont think if matters if most of them are damaged. If my force equals yours then has extra that are only partially combat capable then its still the best force.

As to the mobility thing, Refits can be mobile with repair units on them or repair ships in the fleet.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Okay I understand now....cool I was thinking of full retrofits of a fully teched out (inferior tech) ship to get a fully teched out (superior ship) for less money.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, your ideas aren't crazy and can work well... or they can be inefficient and/or risky, depending on the specifics. I like your idea B best, but the others can be good too. B is cool because the money you use retrofitting would otherwise be spent on maintenance sending a cargo ship home empty.

I tend to muck around with retrofits a lot myself, mainly because I'm a perfectionist micromanager type. However I know from experience that it can easily end up costing a LOT of resources, and that effect has at times snuck up on me even when I thought I was being careful, and suddenly it was a problem trying to afford to retrofit ships to combat readiness due to suddenly not being able to afford the retrofits, and/or not being able to repair all the vital components in time, etc.

Also it _is_ a big sink of player time, especially when you need to compute the 50% resource limit etc.

Let us know if you have any luck using the Retrofit Minister to help with this. In my experience, it isn't going to understand your subtle plans - what it does is choose the "best" design for a hull class, and if any are sitting at a construction location, it might retrofit some of them to that design. It might be based on whether they are marked as obsolete or not, though, so you might have some success there. Watch out though as it will do silly things like retrofit Ion Engine II ships to Ion Engine III's (huge waste of resources), or take a specialized ship and retrofit it into a standard warship design.

PvK