This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 8th, 2004, 02:44 AM

Sergeant

Narrew is on a distinguished road
Default OT...great books

A while back someone mentioned a couple of series I hadn't read. John Ringo's Polseen series and Ringo with Weber Prince Rogers series. Very good, too bad the series were not done, man I really got into it, I can't wait to see what Roger or O'Neil will do next!

Oh well, whoever brought these two series up, thanks, was a great read!
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT...great books

With the New Caribbean MOD in development - I have found a interest to pick up Master and Commanders book 4 and get back to that series.

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Digital Knight by Ryk Spoor is a good, light read. Although 'light read' is perhaps somewhat unapt, as it is a supernatural investigation novel. And his new 'Diamonds Are Forever' is shaping up good.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:16 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

/me worships before the alter of Tad Williams.

"All hail Tad! All hail Tad!"

Seriously, check out his Otherland series. And I liked his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series even better!

edit: he is, however, NOT a light read...... We still joke with him about how he wrote a book that was so big, the publishers physically couldn't fit it into a paperback. They had to split it up into 2 parts...

[ July 09, 2004, 01:18: Message edited by: dumbluck ]
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

If you like Sci-Fi books a series I'd recommend is the Empire of Man series by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle I found them so cool I named one of my SEIV games in tribute .
The books in that series are:
The mote in God's Eye
and "The Gripping Hand
Although there are about a dozen other stories that involve the First Empire of Man, and CoDominium, the books I listed evolve around the 2nd Empire of Man and their first encounter with aliens.

If you like Fantasy I'd recomend the World on the otherside of the Riftwar series by Raymond E. Fiest and Janny Wurtis:
Books in the series are:
Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
and Mistress of the Empire

Another good sci-fi series thus far is "The Fleet", each book is a series of short stories written by many different authors some of the stories are less than entertaining but most are addictive:

Books in the series are:
The Fleet
The Fleet: Counter Attack
The Fleet: Breakthrough
The Fleet: Sworn Allies
The Fleet: Total War
The Fleet: Crisis

I've read the first two and have put the rest on order so I can't wait for em to come.

Anyway those are the books I'd recommend of the books I've read lately and found most entertaining.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I read mote many years ago, it seeemd quite good. Thats written by the same pair who wrote Footfall isn't it?.
I actually came across a "The Fleet" book the other day. Would have bought it except I have bought a lot of other books recently. It was about book 4 or so and I was surprised I had never heard of it before.
For good SF I have come to rely on Peter F Hamilton. I eagerly await the next book after Pandoras Star.

Edit: Getting on to fantasy. I used to read Wheel of Time. I got into it a few years after it had started and quickly grabbed the first few books, up to about book 8 or so, but it takes like 2 years for the next book and when I waited for that 2 years and got the latest one it advanced the story absolutely nowhere, basically they wandered in the forest and did nothing, I may grab the Last one if I hear it is the very Last one but otherwise Robert Jordan has lost my interest (plus I detest the Aes Sedai). Harry Turtledove's like that as well. His series just go on for ever and I got bored at that. Still I suppose its to be expected if the war goes for 4 years.

[ July 09, 2004, 02:07: Message edited by: Randallw ]
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy(all 5 books of them, though it goes downhill during book 4 and fizzles by the end of 5 it's still a great adventure, ****ing hillarious too, plus the short story Zaphod Plays it Safe, and don't forget the Salmon of Doubt)

Also get your hands on the Gormenghast/Titus Groan series, it ****ing owns, Steerpike is a badass, and the rest of the characters are awesome(sometimes a little depressing, but still cool none the less), and it has the most awesome castle ever.

EDIT: Sadly both authors were struck down in their prime(both in their 40s or early 50s most likely 40s IIRC), Marvyn Peake(titus groan series) by Pnemonia, Adam Douglas(HHGttG by heart problems... Though there will never be any more to these series, I still use my imagination to kinda fill in the gaps. They are well worth the reads.

[ July 10, 2004, 05:30: Message edited by: Hugh Manatee ]
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Major General

I heard much of Gormenghast, specifically on Terry Pratchett forums, and eventually came across a copy in the library. I didn't find it to my liking though.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Which one did you get? you got to read them in order(Titus Groan, Gormenghast then Titus Alone), and it's not really an easy read, but great if you get through it.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Major General

They had the whole trilogy on the shelf. I took the first one and read it for awhile. I'll be honest it was a few years ago and I can't even remember what happened, I just remember I wasn't impressed and put it back. If you found it interesting then it will keep you entertained. I'll just read something else.