.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod v1.92

Is it possible to increase the output of the gemgens? I definitely agree with making them artifacts, but comparing with the Ruby Eye, the original artifact gemgen, they are really subpar, and I think most people agree they aren't worth forging. And that kills some thematic strategy, like the conversion of water/nature into astral for nations with lots of astral summons, or getting use out of the now completely worthless fire/nature crosspath and only slightly more useful earth/blood crosspath.

Say quadruple the output and triple the price of the clam and fetish to turn them into poor man's gem globals. The bloodstone is still worth forging regardless since it's a booster, but double its output to match the similarly priced Ruby Eye.
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I would hardly call earth/blood a useless crosspath. Can you say demon knight apocalypse?
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I would hardly call earth/blood a useless crosspath. Can you say demon knight apocalypse?
Depends. The mass summoning for demon knights is at blood 9, while tying up mages summoning one demon knight at a time is pretty bad, unless you have a cheap recruit anywhere that can do it without boosters. Is LA Marignon the only one that can pull that off? Otherwise, you'd get demon knights with ritual of 5 gates which doesn't need E/B.

But yeah, it's F/N that really is worthless with a worthless fever fetish. W/N can...summon Naiads if your only water access is your pretender, I guess, though its main strength did die with the clam. E/B is definitely the most useful of the lot now.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

I just got back from a year hiatus from Dominions, and I'm curious why Jomon Samurai Archers have a precision of 10, but all the others have a precision of 11.
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Sergeant

Excist is on a distinguished road

Have you ever tried firing a bow when aiming through one of those samarai masks?
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Of course I have!
Just kidding, but seriously, why should Samurai without bows have a greater precision then samurai without bows?
Also it is important to keep in mind that Samurai were first and foremost uses of the Bow and Spear, the use of swords became more prominent after the invasion of the Mongols in the 1200's.
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Sergeant

Excist is on a distinguished road

OK. theory 2.

Based on my extensive research watching samarai movies its because they always give the bows to the noobs and the more experienced ones are the ones that go out and actually fight the good fight.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

I guess that could work, but I find that explanation lacking.
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Sergeant

Slobby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianduatha View Post
Honestly, the Triton Queen is a throwback to Burnsaber's Underwater Gameplay Improvement Mod and was created in the context of CBM 1.6 or so.
Quite right, but now it's a later version of CBM and if no one says anything then llama may not catch it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease right?
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Sergeant

Nightfall is on a distinguished road

Just some feedback, I have to say that the last CBM game I played completely turned me off the mod.

While I like the idea of EDM, at the moment the easy availability of these summons, massively overpowers any nations with a good early game.

They really need to be balanced better against the vanilla summon spells available, because at the moment they are simply overpowering them in every way.

My views on the ones I have seen in action:

Summon Zmey - The unit is overpowered, available too early and too easily summoned. Im less concerned about the power than the fact that it should be a level 9 spell requiring at least 6F.

Summon Shishis - Pretty decent core design, a little bit too much better than the other options at that level, maybe just a bump to level 7.

Great Kraken - Again a decent core idea, but like the Shishi is better than the other options at that level, bump to level 7 5W.

Call Grendelkin - Needs to be level 9 and require 5W, it's a better summon than water queens.

Overall I think my biggest problem is less that they are overpowered as individual units, as most can be countered, but that they are all way too easy to research and summon. The end result of this being that they effectively eliminate the mid game entirely and make most of the vanilla summons in the game redundant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightfall For This Useful Post: